By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Opinions: What is bigger. Call of Duty or Mario

JayWood2010 said:
S.Peelman said:
the_dengle said:

JayWood, if I wasn't about to leave I'd be tempted to make a rebuttal thread comparing Mario sales to COD sales exclusively on 7th-gen handhelds. No console or PC sales. That's how disingenuous this premise seems to me.

Lol, it's no contest. On DS, you get like 30m, 25m, 10m and 9m for NSMB, MKDS, SM64DS and MPDS respectively, from the top of my head and I'm sure there's more Mario games on DS still. Against what, 2-4m total CoD sales on both DS and PSP?

Home consoles.  Wouldnt think i would have to repeat myself over and over.

You don't. I know full well what the thread is about, which was why I quoted the_dengle for a response to him and not to you (already did that).

Around the Network

COD is huge now but Mario has history and heritage.

I don't know about the numbers, but when it comes to being ground breaking and having an impact on gaming history it's got to be Mario for me.

Too much planning, and you'll never get anything done.

Karl Pilkington.

bananaking21 said:
JayWood2010 said:
bananaking21 said:
D-Minaj225 said:
bananaking21 said:
Flanneryaug said:
Short term: Call of Duty
Long term: Mario

Call of Duty will eventually fade away, like all of Activision's milked franchises.

we honestly have to see how CoD transitions into next gen. if they manage to bring something new, push away the feeling of "seen it, done that" CoD might go on as strong as it is next gen. plus activision (not including blizzard) never had a game this big, and never had a game that was considered popular culture like CoD is. you cant compare CoD to other IP's from activision, because CoD is en entirely different case

I sure hope they'll be less FPS that try to imitate it, but that's unlikely :[

maybe its the hype talking right now, but i see more FPS will try to imitate destiny after its released. also it seems that developers have learned that imitating CoD wont result in success, since the constumer would rather buy CoD if their game is like it. the thing is, if games are more unique and do their thing, they are most likely to be more successful than tryin to imitate CoD, a recent example is bioshock infinite, with its 96 meta

Halo.  And people has been trying to imitate Halo for years and has failed.  Now Bungie is and well since they made Halo of course they will do a good job.  Im super hyped for it as well but the similarities between Halo and Destiny is a lot.  I love Bungie and it's probably my most anticipated game.

You've never played Halo huh?  Real question.  I think i remember hearing you say before you have never played one.

Did you watch the bungie GDC conference about destiny? pretty much they show that its not like halo, at all. they do show that master chief was one of the influence's in creating characters in the game they clearly talk about the essence of destiny, what its like, what its supposed to be. so even though at first glance it might look like halo or feel like it. the core of the game, the essence is completly different, they basically say and show this. and its one of their goals to make a game that isnt like halo actually.

and sadly no, i never played it, though i found out just recently that halo 1 and halo 2 are on PC. i will be playing those bad boys

To me it still looks much like Halo.  Not a bad thing at all.  Amazing developer and Im glad it looks like halo in ways.  Im not saying it is a clone but it obviously looks and feels similar.  It has even been explained by people outside of Bungie being similar to Halo. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy1ClTEi9mw

Halo 1 is pretty old so itll be interesting to hear if you like it still.  Halo 2 was my favorite in the series.  Rumors are going around that Halo 3 might come to PC as well.  Hopefully it does so more people can play it.  Amazing series.

UncleScrooge said:
Mario is more popular.
You can't compare sales of a yearly multiplatform series with sales of a series that gets only one game per platform. If there was one Mario game per year sales would beat the crap out of Call of Duty. If there was one game per year on every platform available the difference would be even higher. Also, the DS game sold more than the Wii one - what do handheld CoD's sell like again? And I'd really like to see sales of "CoD: Karting" or other spinoffs.

(Not ranting at you Jay. This is a valid thread and I appreciate it.)

@bold
Not at all. The only reason these Mario games sell so well is because they have legs. A new Mario Kart or NSMB every year would cannabalize each other.

@underlined
There really aren't really hadheld CODs save for 1 or 2 on the PSP and that was before the franchise exploded in popularity. 

JayWood2010 said:
bananaking21 said:
JayWood2010 said:

Halo.  And people has been trying to imitate Halo for years and has failed.  Now Bungie is and well since they made Halo of course they will do a good job.  Im super hyped for it as well but the similarities between Halo and Destiny is a lot.  I love Bungie and it's probably my most anticipated game.

You've never played Halo huh?  Real question.  I think i remember hearing you say before you have never played one.

Did you watch the bungie GDC conference about destiny? pretty much they show that its not like halo, at all. they do show that master chief was one of the influence's in creating characters in the game they clearly talk about the essence of destiny, what its like, what its supposed to be. so even though at first glance it might look like halo or feel like it. the core of the game, the essence is completly different, they basically say and show this. and its one of their goals to make a game that isnt like halo actually.

and sadly no, i never played it, though i found out just recently that halo 1 and halo 2 are on PC. i will be playing those bad boys

To me it still looks much like Halo.  Not a bad thing at all.  Amazing developer and Im glad it looks like halo in ways.  Im not saying it is a clone but it obviously looks and feels similar.  It has even been explained by people outside of Bungie being similar to Halo. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy1ClTEi9mw

Halo 1 is pretty old so itll be interesting to hear if you like it still.  Halo 2 was my favorite in the series.  Rumors are going around that Halo 3 might come to PC as well.  Hopefully it does so more people can play it.  Amazing series.

i havent played halo so i cant comment much, but from what i seen it doesnt seem much like halo. i guess we need to find out more about the game before judging. 

i know that the game will feel outdated when i play it, but its actually really interesting, to see the origin of the game. also i understood it has a great, unique story so i would like to discover that. and yeah there was a thread about halo3 coming to PC and thats were i found out that halo 1/2 came out on PC as well.

Around the Network
bananaking21 said:
JayWood2010 said:
bananaking21 said:
JayWood2010 said:

i havent played halo so i cant comment much, but from what i seen it doesnt seem much like halo. i guess we need to find out more about the game before judging. 

i know that the game will feel outdated when i play it, but its actually really interesting, to see the origin of the game. also i understood it has a great, unique story so i would like to discover that. and yeah there was a thread about halo3 coming to PC and thats were i found out that halo 1/2 came out on PC as well.

Yeah.  me and my friend was just talking about this yesterday.  Halo is one of the only FPS games that i have played that has a really good interesting story.  Tere is a few others but for the most part FPS games dont have great stories.  YOu should really try and play halo coop if you can.  It is a superb coop game and it has a great story.  I was playing Hallo Anniversary the other day and it still holds up well but you will notice some levels have  the same design throughout the whole level so it does show where it is older now.  I think you will still like it but if you can play Halo 3, Reach, and 4 after 1 and 2.  I know you dont have an xbox but even if you could go to a friends house and play them coopertavely you should.

Mario hands down. He's a gaming icon who been loved by three generation of gamers.

JayWood2010 said:
bananaking21 said:
JayWood2010 said:

Yeah.  me and my friend was just talking about this yesterday.  Halo is one of the only FPS games that i have played that has a really good interesting story.  Tere is a few others but for the most part FPS games dont have great stories.  YOu should really try and play halo coop if you can.  It is a superb coop game and it has a great story.  I was playing Hallo Anniversary the other day and it still holds up well but you will notice some levels have  the same design throughout the whole level so it does show where it is older now.  I think you will still like it but if you can play Halo 3, Reach, and 4 after 1 and 2.  I know you dont have an xbox but even if you could go to a friends house and play them coopertavely you should.

i been trying to get an used xbox to play the single player games of gears+ halo. but the thing is too damn expensive here in jordan. i love sci-fi shooters and halo just seems amazing, so even though i will feel its old, ill probably still like it a lot. ohh and here in jordan playstation dominates the market, so i really dont have any friends who have a 360, the people i know who do im not really that close with. 

VGKing said:
UncleScrooge said:
Mario is more popular.
You can't compare sales of a yearly multiplatform series with sales of a series that gets only one game per platform. If there was one Mario game per year sales would beat the crap out of Call of Duty. If there was one game per year on every platform available the difference would be even higher. Also, the DS game sold more than the Wii one - what do handheld CoD's sell like again? And I'd really like to see sales of "CoD: Karting" or other spinoffs.

(Not ranting at you Jay. This is a valid thread and I appreciate it.)

@bold
Not at all. The only reason these Mario games sell so well is because they have legs. A new Mario Kart or NSMB every year would cannabalize each other.

@underlined
There really aren't really hadheld CODs save for 1 or 2 on the PSP and that was before the franchise exploded in popularity. 

I won't go into economics stuff now because it'll just lead to an argument and the two of us had enough of those. But yes, total sales would increase a lot. 

Aren't there multiple Call of Duty games on the DS? I think they stopped making them because they didn't sell well. 

bananaking21 said:
JayWood2010 said:
bananaking21 said:
JayWood2010 said:

i been trying to get an used xbox to play the single player games of gears+ halo. but the thing is too damn expensive here in jordan. i love sci-fi shooters and halo just seems amazing, so even though i will feel its old, ill probably still like it a lot. ohh and here in jordan playstation dominates the market, so i really dont have any friends who have a 360, the people i know who do im not really that close with. 

Had no clue you was in teh middle eastern countries.  Is that correct?  Middle east right?  Yeah I can understand that.  Gears sotry is good as well although some people get turned off by the cheesy one liners.  I loved the story though.  I dont see how they could continue the story anymore though so I hope they are done with gears now. Or at least for a while.