By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Digital Foundry Face-Off: BioShock Infinite

Tagged games:

i still wonder where my game is since it's already on the way from england for 10 days now. royal mail is really slow

Around the Network
crissindahouse said:
i still wonder where my game is since it's already on the way from england for 10 days now. royal mail is really slow

Should have bought retail! Are you in England?

Mr Puggsly said:
PC looks a lot sharper but not a world of difference.

You really hav no idea until you play it, or see it in action.  Some online videos can stream it ok, but almost none do next gen justice.  The videos just are not high enough quality to show the detail.

Believe me, Bioshock: Infinite maxed out in 1080p at 60 FPS is easily a full generation ahead of the PS3 version.  Also the PS4 is easily capable of running it...

Captain_Tom said:
Mr Puggsly said:
PC looks a lot sharper but not a world of difference.

You really hav no idea until you play it, or see it in action.  Some online videos can stream it ok, but almost none do next gen justice.  The videos just are not high enough quality to show the detail.

Believe me, Bioshock: Infinite maxed out in 1080p at 60 FPS is easily a full generation ahead of the PS3 version.  Also the PS4 is easily capable of running it...

Yeah, yeah... I have an idea because I've seen and played games running on high end PCs before.

I anticipated the PC version to look considerably better, but the PS3 version actually holds up better than I anticipated.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

ironmanDX said:
walsufnir said:
ethomaz said:
foodfather said:
For 360 owners, install the game. No framerate issues at all. Its best best version on consoles.

Not when the PS3 have the most responsive controls during intense fire fights where quick reactions count.

That is the DF conclusion "The more responsive PS3 game gets the nod for delivering a more consistent, flowing gameplay experience. The addition of tearing isn't particularly attractive, but the extra controller response is preferable during intense combat scenes."

Sadly they didn't tell us if they installed the game on 360. I remember some comparisons from lensoftruth.com where this also happened ("360-version has worse textures").

To do a fair comparison they wouldn't install it. They have to see it working in a way that can suit everyone. No everyone has a hdd to install multiple games on the 360 were the ps3 comes with bigger hdd's to make up for the mandatory installs on most if not all games this late into the gen.

what about people with this?

It takes GT5 to make it useless for other games with mandatory installs.

Around the Network
ironmanDX said:
walsufnir said:
ethomaz said:
foodfather said:
For 360 owners, install the game. No framerate issues at all. Its best best version on consoles.

Not when the PS3 have the most responsive controls during intense fire fights where quick reactions count.

That is the DF conclusion "The more responsive PS3 game gets the nod for delivering a more consistent, flowing gameplay experience. The addition of tearing isn't particularly attractive, but the extra controller response is preferable during intense combat scenes."

Sadly they didn't tell us if they installed the game on 360. I remember some comparisons from lensoftruth.com where this also happened ("360-version has worse textures").

To do a fair comparison they wouldn't install it. They have to see it working in a way that can suit everyone. No everyone has a hdd to install multiple games on the 360 were the ps3 comes with bigger hdd's to make up for the mandatory installs on most if not all games this late into the gen. I installed mine at it runs well. I get very minor frame rate issues and even used it on unlocked frame rate option in the settings for a decent amount of the game towards the end. I find it better to install newer game because of how much they push the hardware this late into the gen.

But they usually mention the result both ways if installing helped the performance in any way...

walsufnir said:

GT5 didn't have mandatory install... it is optional (but I don't recomend to play it without install).

ethomaz said:

walsufnir said:

GT5 didn't have mandatory install... it is optional (but I don't recomend to play it without install).

I always read it was mandatory. What about all the patches? How much space do they take if you are running off disc?

walsufnir said:

I always read it was mandatory. What about all the patches? How much space do they take if you are running off disc?

The game only with patches uses a little less than 2GB on PS3... I made the test some months ago with the first version released (without any patch)... the new versions already had some patchs so they use less HDD too.

The patch are not cumulative... if the patch 1.3 and the 1.4 use the same file only the latest version is on HDD.

The first version with all patches and full install (there are three types of install: No, Partial and Full) uses ~10GB of HDD... if you have less than that free space the game uses only the partial install even if you choose full install.

ethomaz said:

walsufnir said:

The game only with patches uses a little less than 2GB on PS3... I made the test some months ago with the first version released (without any patch)... the new versions already had some patchs so they use less HDD too.

The patch are not cumulative... if the patch 1.3 and the 1.4 use the same file only the latest version is on HDD.

The first version with all patches and full install (there are three types of install: No, Partial and Full) uses ~10GB of HDD... if you have less than that free space the game uses only the partial install even if you choose full install.

Thanks for the info.