By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The real reason Fez isn't on Nintendo platforms

Tagged games:

JazzB1987 said:
What is a Fez?

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
JazzB1987 said:
What is a Fez?

Have you ever seen Doctor Who? Fez'zzzzz are cool!

I think your statement is the real reason why fez is not on This sistem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvWYw0CnuSI

Needed to be done.

NNID: crazy_man

3DS FC: 3969 4633 0700 

My Pokemon Trading Shop (Hidden Power Breeding)

JazzB1987 said:
What is a Fez?

alternatively

I LOVE ICELAND!

Damnit, so many people got there before me.....

I LOVE ICELAND!

Another one for the Nintendo hate list, huh?

As for Greenlight, there are plenty of valid criticisms, but the project had good intentions. Even Steam has said that it's not working out the way they wanted. They've learned that people often vote for some pretty stupid reasons. Greenlight probably won't be around much longer, I would imagine.

In contrast, Nintendo's restrictions were just messed up. They were the results of apathy and arrogance toward the indie community. I have no idea how anyone could argue otherwise. It was a big, fat, "we got Mario and Wii Fit, we don't need you."

Around the Network
pokoko said:

As for Greenlight, there are plenty of valid criticisms, but the project had good intentions. Even Steam has said that it's not working out the way they wanted. They've learned that people often vote for some pretty stupid reasons. Greenlight probably won't be around much longer, I would imagine.

In contrast, Nintendo's restrictions were just messed up. They were the results of apathy and arrogance toward the indie community. I have no idea how anyone could argue otherwise. It was a big, fat, "we got Mario and Wii Fit, we don't need you."

The threshold for making money back was super-low, for any game of any competence whatsoever. It was a mean way to thrust the developers up against the acid test of a game's appeal, that's for certain, and there were other problems that were purely Nintendo's fault (developer needs an office, developer can't publish outside their home country), but the sales threshold thing was an attempt to keep out the riff-raff.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

So he's pretty much using the "they treated indies badly" thing as an excuse while what he really means is "I want preferential treatment, other indie devs can go to hell."

Mr Khan said:
pokoko said:

The threshold for making money back was super-low, for any game of any competence whatsoever. It was a mean way to thrust the developers up against the acid test of a game's appeal, that's for certain, and there were other problems that were purely Nintendo's fault (developer needs an office, developer can't publish outside their home country), but the sales threshold thing was an attempt to keep out the riff-raff.

Seems pretty low to me.

"North America
If game is over 16MB - 6,000 units
If game is under 16MB - 4,000 units

Europe
If game is over 16MB - 3,000 units
If game is under 16MB - 2,000 units"

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2009/04/wiiware_sales_targets_more_details_emerge

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

pokoko said:

Let me get this straight.

Valve made a mistake, but their mistake was born from "good intentions," so they get a pass, even though they have yet to fix their mistake. It's okay; they should be praised for their attempt because it had "good intentions." Doesn't matter that their service is terrible.

Nintendo made a mistake seven years ago. Evidently you believe this mistake was born from malice or apathy, rather than ignorance and inexperience. You sure don't seem to think Nintendo had "good intentions" when designing WiiWare. Regardless, that mistake has been rectified, and then some. Nintendo has created arguably the most indie-friendly platform available to developers. Yet they deserve the scorn and comtempt of the community because of their failed, now-defunct policies of yester-year.

Nintendo fixes their problem, gets bashed. Valve does nothing to fix their problem, gets praised for trying.

Man, some people will just never give Nintendo any credit for doing anything positive.

the_dengle said:
pokoko said:

Let me get this straight.

Valve made a mistake, but their mistake was born from "good intentions," so they get a pass, even though they have yet to fix their mistake. It's okay; they should be praised for their attempt because it had "good intentions." Doesn't matter that their service is terrible.

Nintendo made a mistake seven years ago. Evidently you believe this mistake was born from malice or apathy, rather than ignorance and inexperience. You sure don't seem to think Nintendo had "good intentions" when designing WiiWare. Regardless, that mistake has been rectified, and then some. Nintendo has created arguably the most indie-friendly platform available to developers. Yet they deserve the scorn and comtempt of the community because of their failed, now-defunct policies of yester-year.

Nintendo fixes their problem, gets bashed. Valve does nothing to fix their problem, gets praised for trying.

Man, some people will just never give Nintendo any credit for doing anything positive.

First, you're going to have to back up your claim that Steam is anywhere close to being as bad as Nintendo was.  As far as I can see, it's not.

Simon Roth has worked on indie hits such as Frozen Synapse and is currently developing his first solo title - which he plans to eventually submit to Greenlight in the future. "Greenlight is a brilliant idea," says Simon. "Beforehand, in my opinion, the Steam approval process was somewhat broken, opaque and counter intuitive."  http://www.videogamer.com/features/article/steam_greenlight_what_do_developers_really_think.html

Steam's problem is that they get more games asking for entry than they can handle.  The intention with Greenlight was not only to filter out some of the spam but to give developers feedback directly from the fans.  The main problem so far is that the fans, generally speaking, kind of suck.

"Valve gave the gaming community a chance with Greenlight," says Strongman Games founder Erlend Grefsrud, pointing out that Valve is under no obligation to offer a 'free ride' to anyone. That it did so originally should be an important factor in Valve's defence and should help highlight that the real issue isn't some classist debate over the relative value of $100.

"Valve launched Greenlight for free, [but] the community wasn't responsible enough to moderate itself," says Erlend. "If people were different, Greenlight would not need a fee. But they aren't, so it does."  http://www.videogamer.com/features/article/steam_greenlight_what_do_developers_really_think.html

Besides that, you're comparing a system that just launched recently to something that Nintendo just now fixed.  You're also trying to put words in my mouth, as I never said anything about 'malice'.  I never even said I supported what the guy in the OP said, as I've given Nintendo props elsewhere for their efforts.  What I've had issue with in this thread is the vilification of Steam in order to make Nintendo look good.  Not only are they in much different situations, with Steam being a much, much smaller company that gets many times the submissions that Nintendo does, but the idea that Greenlight was born of the same kind of corporate apathy as some of Nintendo's more notorious restrictions is just ludicrous.

In short, I find the twitter arguments of both people in the OP to be childish.