By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - 360 can be the rpg console of 2008

Too bad the RPGs on the X360 have been absolutely fantastic thus far:

Blue Dragon - Vastly underrated. One of the best throwback JRPGs to the 16bit era ever. Stellar soundtrack. Great Dragon Quest-ish graphics and gameplay.

Oblivion - Duh. RPG GOTY of 06.

Mass Effect - RPG GOTY of 07.

Eternal Sonata - Best cell shaded game thus far with pretty good combat system.

Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom - Great Hack & Slash RPG for online.

Two Worlds - Despite being maligned, great gameplay. I still enjoy my copy of it.

And of course all the sub-par X360 RPGs like Spectral Force, Operation: Darkness, Enchanted Arms, Dario: Reverse Moon Legend, and about 4 others I can think of.

And we still have Fallout, Cry On, Infinite Undsicovery, Last Remnant, Tales of Vesperia, and maybe even Star Ocean 4 this year. It's going to be yet another year of X360 dominance on RPGs.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network

I DO enjoy my 360 RPG's and I'm DYING for Lost Odyssey to hit (My most anticipated 360 game of the year...maybe ever...), but I don't know if I'd go so far as to say, "It's going to be yet another year of X360 dominance on RPGs."

Star Ocean 4 & Tears of Vesperia (yes, I saw the coding, but doesn't mean crap) are still question marks for everybody.  And The Last Remnant & Fallout 3 are both multiplatform...leaving Cry On, Infinite Undiscovery, Fable II, & Lost Odyssey "officially" announced exclusives (which look fabulous!)--(And I'm as doubtful of a couple of those making it out in 08' as I am FFXIII).

But I am impressed with the 360's RPG line-up and look forward to it.

PSN ID: Sorrow880

Gamertag: Sorrow80

Wii #: 8132 1076 3416 7450

does anybody know what cry on really is yet
when will we see some details on this game

i read that sagashi admitted the blue dragon and lost oddyssey were good games but were very safe and this will be mistwalkers first risky project

The 360 may have more RPG's than the other two, but it's too bad that they've all been unmitigated failures as far as sales and notoriety are concerned.

Consoles owned: Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, PSP, DS, PS3

Lord N said:

The 360 may have more RPG's than the other two, but it's too bad that they've all been unmitigated failures as far as sales and notoriety are concerned.

That's because they were either: (A)RPGs that were not marketed well ie Blue Dragon or (B)new IPs that weren't hyped ie Eternal Sonata

You also should know that many Xbox360 owners don't like Japanese RPGs partially because they are stereotyped to have anime style graphics and/or lenghty cutscenes which doesn't appeal to the FPS only crowd.

Around the Network
Lord N said:

Western RPG's where definelty not failures concerning sales. Blue Dragon achieved what it was suppose to do in Japan, Eternal Sonata also helped increase Japanese sales. The only game that could be considered a failure would be LO in Japan. Yet it still hasn't been released in U.S. and/or Europe.

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

dante said:
does anybody know what cry on really is yet
when will we see some details on this game

I'm not really sure, but Wikipedia describes it as a RPG based around the themes of sadness, tears and joy.

"Players will take control of main character Sally in this action adventure, working through scenarios designed to evoke an emotional response.

Cry On takes place in a world where people live amongst giant sand creatures. Sally is in the company of one of them, a creature named Bogle, and fights alongside it. Although normally tiny, Bogle can transform into a giant beast to fight. He'll do so when Sally is in danger. The game promises to give players the perspective not just of Sally, but of Bogle as well. The game will play out with portions from both characters' perspectives.

In a recent interview with Electronic Gaming Monthly; Sakaguchi stated that the goal of Cry On is to make players cry every 15 minutes"

I laughed at the last piece. You'll need a box of tissues while playing the game. =D

mrstickball said:
Too bad the RPGs on the X360 have been absolutely fantastic thus far:

Blue Dragon - Vastly underrated. One of the best throwback JRPGs to the 16bit era ever. Stellar soundtrack. Great Dragon Quest-ish graphics and gameplay.

Oblivion - Duh. RPG GOTY of 06.

Mass Effect - RPG GOTY of 07.

Eternal Sonata - Best cell shaded game thus far with pretty good combat system.

Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom - Great Hack & Slash RPG for online.

Two Worlds - Despite being maligned, great gameplay. I still enjoy my copy of it.

And of course all the sub-par X360 RPGs like Spectral Force, Operation: Darkness, Enchanted Arms, Dario: Reverse Moon Legend, and about 4 others I can think of.

And we still have Fallout, Cry On, Infinite Undsicovery, Last Remnant, Tales of Vesperia, and maybe even Star Ocean 4 this year. It's going to be yet another year of X360 dominance on RPGs.

Ah, come on, Stickball. The boss song in Blue Dragon was absolute ass.

Other than that I completely agree with your post. 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

kingofwale said:
it's no different than 07, with Trusty Bell and Blue Dragon. and what did they do on Xbox?

Let's face it, Xbox will NEVER be a place RPG hardcore gamers look for JRPG games, the sooner Microsoft gives up and focus on what they do best, the better they will be.

He's not talking about how well they are doing, he's talking about how there are getting to be shit-tons of them.  There are still 'more' shooters, but look at it this way:

The original Xbox had only 4 RPGs (that I know of, and I loved the Xbox).  None of them were Japanese  They were:

-the 2 Kotors

-Morrowind

-Fable (European)

The 360 already has far more than that, and they are a healthy mix of both cultures.  It also has many more that are already announced, or at least implied (in the case of Mass Effect 2).  Even with the PS3's announced RPGs, that system won't have as many as the 360 will with its' announced games (IIRC).

However, I disagree with the OP.  I strongly believe that, in the end, the Wii will be the RPG system this gen.  I say this because the majority of RPGs are not heavy on the technical stuff (see: the billion sprite-based RPGs on PS2).  This means can do very well with low budgets.  Thus, they will go to the system that has the most users and is easiest to develop for.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

love rpgs, but i think either wii or ps3 will get more prg's

xbox360 will get more shooters.... ;p

Wii console: 0595 8808 5698 2709
Super Smash Bros Brawl: 1161 1357 5188

Mario Kart Wii: 1633 4506 4319

PES 2008: 1633 5820 0347

DragonBall Z BT 3: 3823 9760 9484

Pokemon Battle Revolution: 3480 2645 9186
Feel free to add me, and sent me a pm with your Friend Code!!