By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - JRPG fans, why don't you.....

Tagged games:

Do you like Lost Odyssey?

Yes it's the best console JRPG this gen 28 9.49%

Yes, it's one of the better JRPG's 62 21.02%

Kinda, but it doesn't stand out 25 8.47%

It's Average 21 7.12%

Not really 14 4.75%

No, I Hate It 14 4.75%

I didn't play it because it's one 360 86 29.15%

See Results 45 15.25%

Total:295
Michael-5 said:
outlawauron said:
Michael-5 said:
lurkerwithnosoul said:
Michael-5 said:

I don't know what's worse. If it's you mixing Nier in the same sh*t bag as N3, TLR and Tales 2, or the fact that you said the endings are lackluster while at the same time praising Lost Odyssey.

pls Michael that hurts.

Ouch!

Lost Odyssey had an amazing ending, and overall I think it's the best JRPG game this gen. Niers endings were 30 seconds long, they never explain how Yonha magically gets cured from the Black Sprawl, they never explain how the Black Sprawl came into existance, how humanity nearly came to an extinction 1300 years ago, why there are "generations" of identical people who use human shells which get old and die (but somehow come back with new souls or lives attached to them) and well it explained diddly squat. Plus you had to replay half the game with no branching story path and very minimal added dialogue.

Nier isn't as bad as N3, but from what I played of Tales 2 and TLR it's no better then that. It's the worst JRPG which I have played and finished.

Now I know you didn't pay too much attention as ALL of the above were answered. No wonder you didn't love the ending or weren't move if you had no idea what the hell was going on.

Personally, I don't think N3 is bad. It's not very deep, but definitely very enjoyable and solid effort early this generation. TLR on PC isn't bad, just average. Tales 2 is awful though.

No it wasn't.

Talking to a bird and having Griess answer "World parished because of Black Sprawl" isn't good enough. Having a couple documents and Emils chapter isn't enough to tell me what kind of weapons they were making, and where the Black Sprawl came from. I understood what was going on, but a sentance explaination to explain the crisis's of the game isn't satisfactory.

I thought N3 was maybe half decent for an earlyeffort this gen, but N3 did not improve on the game at all and that was a mid generation game. Plus there is no reason top lay these games now, they are crap compared to other 7th gen JRPG's (or Japanese styled games), and crap compared to older games on older consoles.

I haven't played much T2, but Nier was crap to me. Enchanted Arms was a much better game, and that says something.

I suppose you mean the sequel, N3-2? I didn't play it, so I won't comment.

Again, all of the above has an answer, and I didn't think it was too tough to figure out. There's far more to it than that.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
Wright said:
Michael-5 said:

Get it for PS3 over PSN. It released on PSN.

Also 360 isn't region locked. Can a single game be region locked?

Yep, I'm afraid it is.

Not here in Canada, I can play PAL and Japanese games on my 360. I know people who have imported Japanese games to play in on their 360's, and I know someone who has a PAL Halo CEO which works. Check again, it would be weird if the North American 360 was region free, but the PAL one was not.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

I do not own an Xbox 360. But everyone I've met who owns an Xbox 360, I preach this game to them because I know it's a turned based JRPG that I will enjoy. Sadly, hardly anyone I've spoken to has heard of this game, and only one of them have tried and liked it based on my suggestion. I can financially afford an Xbox 360, i can financially afford to buy Lost Odyssey. But between my Wii, PS3, DSiXL, and PSP, I just don't have time for an Xbox 360. In fact, I just bought my first VITA, and I don't even own a VITA. I bought Persona 4 Golden on sale for $30. I'm than big of a Shin Megami Tensei fan.

Michael-5 said:
outlawauron said:
Michael-5 said:

Why? What did I cross out which you disagree with?

Nier and the Atelier series are two that stick out the most (along with your exclusion of Tales 2). TLR is bad on 360, but the PC port wasn't awful. Also found N3 fun. Gameplay was fun and easy to get into and there were a lot of fun scene/stages.

Atelier is okay, I shouldn't have crossed that out, it's better then everything else I crossed out, but I wouldn't consider it good.

Nier was terrible, worse then TLR, I don't understand how this game has such a stong fan backing. Compared to Drakengard this is complete garbage, and in general it's a bad game, with a terrible ending, with a lot of repetetive gameplay (I mean you have to beat the game once and two  three more half times just to see all the endings, ending cutscenese are 30s long, and there are no branching story paths, just branching endings).

I found the in game cut scenes with Emil to be a lot better then the ones which explained the plot. They should have just made the game about Emil.

Emil was a good character, but the game was about the Shadowlord all along.

While you don't understand why it has such a strong backing, I don't understand how you can hold it so low when it does many things so much better than other games. The endings were fantastic and the last one really had a lasting impact on myself. Gameplay is no more repetitive than any Zelda or any other Action RPG. It's much more deep than Drakengard, although I don't think you should compare them.

And the Atelier series has a very small niche, but you're also generalizing an entire series of games that vary in quality (4 now just on PS3). I can understand if you didn't love Rorona, but Totori was great as was Meruru.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

I think past experience plays a role and the PSone and PStwo were great JRPG systems, so based on that figured Sony do the same again. First half of the generation, not so much...but lately really picked up the slack and I have been loving it. 2013 may very well be the best year for the system based on my tastes in games.

I think if Microsoft had kept up the support I would have added it as a console. However, the moment I was really serious about buying an XBox was the E3 of CoD, Gears, Halo (zero interest in any of these) and whole bunch of Kinect (zero interest). I won't bad mouth Microsoft or its games, but they simply are not for me and nothing since that day has changed.

I do hope someday to play Lost Odyssey someday as it was the big game on 360 I wanted, but I cannot justify a console for a few games that appeal to me. If money was no issue things would be different, but not the case so some games never get bought even though 95% chance I'd enjoy them.

Around the Network
Michael-5 said:
Wright said:
Michael-5 said:

Yep, I'm afraid it is.

Not here in Canada, I can play PAL and Japanese games on my 360. I know people who have imported Japanese games to play in on their 360's, and I know someone who has a PAL Halo CEO which works. Check again, it would be weird if the North American 360 was region free, but the PAL one was not.

No, that's weird. You've probably played some region-free games, but the console itself is region-lock. Region-free games work on Region-lock, of course. Trust me, this region-lock thing has prevented me from buying several games (One of them is Record of Agarest War). Wikipedia and your usual tech-wise webpages can back up the fact that the 360 is region-locked; heck, even Play-Asia has a list on which they explain what games you can play based on the region of your console!

Augen said:
I think past experience plays a role and the PSone and PStwo were great JRPG systems, so based on that figured Sony do the same again. First half of the generation, not so much...but lately really picked up the slack and I have been loving it. 2013 may very well be the best year for the system based on my tastes in games.

I think if Microsoft had kept up the support I would have added it as a console. However, the moment I was really serious about buying an XBox was the E3 of CoD, Gears, Halo (zero interest in any of these) and whole bunch of Kinect (zero interest). I won't bad mouth Microsoft or its games, but they simply are not for me and nothing since that day has changed.

I do hope someday to play Lost Odyssey someday as it was the big game on 360 I wanted, but I cannot justify a console for a few games that appeal to me. If money was no issue things would be different, but not the case so some games never get bought even though 95% chance I'd enjoy them.

Other than JRPGs, (which 360 has its share) what kind of games do appeal to you?

Michael-5 said:

What do you mean?

I'd say the 360 is region locked, I can't think of any retail games that are region free. And single games can be region locked, Persona 4 Arena on PS3 sticks out like a sore thumb being the only region locked game (I believe).

Wright said:
Augen said:

Other than JRPGs, (which 360 has its share) what kind of games do appeal to you?

Role playing, Strategy (my favorite being the Disgaea series), platformers (my favorites being Mario and Ratchet), fighting (Blazblue being my favorite), sim games (Sim CIty, so here I tend to favor PC gaming), football (always get FIFA on any new system eventually), mosou/ hack and slash (just been playing excellent Bleach and One Piece games) puzzle (I really enjoy the Layton and Ace Attorney games) collect-o-thons (Lego games, with Harry Potter being the best) whatever you call Harvest Moon / Rune Factory (farm RPGs?)  and I could really go on, I love video games and if budget and time was limitless I'd buy every system and 1000s of games.  

Side note: I would say my taste are primarily eastern, but I do enjoy some western games as well.

Now, I imagine you could make a case for the 360, but when I look at last couple years and this year I do not think I've been hyped for a single retail exclusive on the system.  I do not care about online, or shooters or motion controls and that was what it felt like they really pushed recently.  Again, I do not wish to hate on a system, the question was asked an honestly how I felt about the big choice I made this generation.

Augen said:

Role playing, Strategy (my favorite being the Disgaea series), platformers (my favorites being Mario and Ratchet), fighting (Blazblue being my favorite), sim games (Sim CIty, so here I tend to favor PC gaming), football (always get FIFA on any new system eventually), mosou/ hack and slash (just been playing excellent Bleach and One Piece games) puzzle (I really enjoy the Layton and Ace Attorney games) collect-o-thons (Lego games, with Harry Potter being the best) whatever you call Harvest Moon / Rune Factory (farm RPGs?)  and I could really go on, I love video games and if budget and time was limitless I'd buy every system and 1000s of games.  

Side note: I would say my taste are primarily eastern, but I do enjoy some western games as well.

Now, I imagine you could make a case for the 360, but when I look at last couple years and this year I do not think I've been hyped for a single retail exclusive on the system.  I do not care about online, or shooters or motion controls and that was what it felt like they really pushed recently.  Again, I do not wish to hate on a system, the question was asked an honestly how I felt about the big choice I made this generation.

We agree on that xD

I was not going to make a case for the 360. The informed gamer should know by now what are his/her preferences and what console can satisfy 'em. I was curious about your appealings.