By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - JRPG fans, why don't you.....

Tagged games:

Do you like Lost Odyssey?

Yes it's the best console JRPG this gen 28 9.49%

Yes, it's one of the better JRPG's 62 21.02%

Kinda, but it doesn't stand out 25 8.47%

It's Average 21 7.12%

Not really 14 4.75%

No, I Hate It 14 4.75%

I didn't play it because it's one 360 86 29.15%

See Results 45 15.25%

Total:295
Michael-5 said:
Wright said:
Michael-5 said:
Wright said:
Otakumegane said:
I've wanted a 360 since tales of Vesperia.

But...I had no $$.

Now that gen's ending i'll pcik up a PS3 and play the Jprgs there.

Wait until Nextbox is announced, then wait a little more until Ps4 and the Nextbox are released. The price for a Ps3 or a Xbox must be really low by then.

Then you should aim for:

(360) -> Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Infinite Undiscovery, The Last Remnant, Magna Carta 2, Tales of Vesperia, Ninety-nine nights (not exactly an RPG) and some others. Project Sylpheed (Spaceship shooter, with a JRPG like story, mediocre reviews only because it's a 4-5 hour game), Too Human (It's Not JRPG, and labeled an Action Adventure Game, but trust me it's much more of an RPG then Nier or Mass Effect, and it's good despite the ratings)

(Ps3) -> The Atelier series, Ni No Kuni, a new Tales of game (Graces f and Xillia), Demon's Souls, White Knight Chronicles, Valkiria Chronicles, Folklore! and some others too.

(Multi-platform) -> Star Ocean: The Last Hope, FFXIII/XIII-2, Catherine (Puzzle), Enchanted Arms (it's okay)

(Wii) -> XenoBlade Chronicles, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, The Last Story, Pandora's Tower, Tales of Symphonia 2

If owned both, then you've also got: Eternal Sonata, Dark Souls, Resonance of Fate, Nier...

That's a great idea! I picked up a replacement PS2 last year for $40, I'm sure 360 will crash too in a couple years.

However that's a terrible list of games, Ninty Nine Nights? Really? Have you played that game? It's crap! Last Remnant is also laggy as hell, and Blue Dragon is meh, same with Atelier. Nier isn't that special either, it feels unfinished, and the endings are pretty lame and unsatisfying.

Christ, you almost stroke my entire list!

While most of them are pretty crappy, I like 'em. I can play average games and like them: The Last Remnant is pretty crappy, but I'm loving it so far. Other than the technical issues (and No New Game +) the game is good. Nier is good too, just felt short of expectations. Can't say I've tried Ninety Nine Nights, though.

I didn't mention the Wii. My mistake. You should however strike Tales of Symphonia 2. That game is just a mess and it destroy whatever awesome story Symphonia 1 had within the first five minutes of the game.

And don't you dare not mentioning the Atelier series! D: I would buy a Ps3 for 'em.

Have you beaten Nier? The endings were so unsatisfactory. The game didn't stumble and fall short, it fell into oncoming traffic and got hit by a rocket powered truck.

N3 is the definition of a bad video game. You just stand for hours tapping A to do the same combo over and over, and enemies keep respawning. It's no fun, it's repetetive and tedious and the story isn't that good either.

I striked Last Remnant, not because the game was particularly crappy (it's okay), but it's so god damn laggy, I find it unplayable.

I have to play Tales 2 to judge it, I generally hear mixed things

I don't know what's worse. If it's you mixing Nier in the same sh*t bag as N3, TLR and Tales 2, or the fact that you said the endings are lackluster while at the same time praising Lost Odyssey.

pls Michael that hurts.

Around the Network
Wright said:
Michael-5 said:

Have you beaten Nier? The endings were so unsatisfactory. The game didn't stumble and fall short, it fell into oncoming traffic and got hit by a rocket powered truck.

N3 is the definition of a bad video game. You just stand for hours tapping A to do the same combo over and over, and enemies keep respawning. It's no fun, it's repetetive and tedious and the story isn't that good either.

I striked Last Remnant, not because the game was particularly crappy (it's okay), but it's so god damn laggy, I find it unplayable.

I have to play Tales 2 to judge it, I generally hear mixed things

Nope. Haven't played Nier, but I want to. Don't tell me that, though D: Was it real that you had all your save data erased?

N3...damn it! I have heard bad things about it, but to that point, it looks ridiculous. I don't agree with The Last Remnant, though. Perhaps it is because I installed it in the Hard Drive, but I can play it with (almost) no problems.

Tales 2 is horrible, but not because it is laggy or unplayable, but because they dumbed it down really hard. The Tales' charisma is absent there.

Michael-5 said:

If it's that simple......

My game is on a shelf at my parents, I'll test this out next week. If this works, I'll be so happy, bu then I gotta go through the DLC. I never beat that last super hard boss.

Try it! Who knows. You maybe got luck this time. There was a trick which involved Sed for the Last boss in the DLC that allowed you to win within three turns. Check it out in youtube.

Ending D does erase all your game data, but there is a logical reason behind the story and the game does ask you 4 or 5 time if you want to erase all your game data, and even tells you that you should get the other endings first. Plus you can also copy your data onto a thumb drive and copy it back.

OHH! Smart thing about Last Remnant. When I tried it, I had a 12GB model 360, so I couldn't install it. My friend gave me his 56GB hard drive when he upgraded to the slim, so I've been using the extra space to play installed games. I never noticed a difference in load times, just the system plays the games quietly, but this might make a big difference for TLR. Good thing I didn't sell this game.

I still have to try Tales 2 to judge it, but I've heard that the game is mostly cutscenes and yea super easy.

As for Port Town, I think actually my missing chest wasn't available for auction there, but hey I'll give it another go. If I can get 1100/100, then I want 1100/1100, this is one of my favorite RPG's this gen, and my other 2 favorite (Mass Effect 2 and 3) I have maxed out, so it's only right.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

lurkerwithnosoul said:
Michael-5 said:

I don't know what's worse. If it's you mixing Nier in the same sh*t bag as N3, TLR and Tales 2, or the fact that you said the endings are lackluster while at the same time praising Lost Odyssey.

pls Michael that hurts.

Ouch!

Lost Odyssey had an amazing ending, and overall I think it's the best JRPG game this gen. Niers endings were 30 seconds long, they never explain how Yonha magically gets cured from the Black Sprawl, they never explain how the Black Sprawl came into existance, how humanity nearly came to an extinction 1300 years ago, why there are "generations" of identical people who use human shells which get old and die (but somehow come back with new souls or lives attached to them) and well it explained diddly squat. Plus you had to replay half the game with no branching story path and very minimal added dialogue.

Nier isn't as bad as N3, but from what I played of Tales 2 and TLR it's no better then that. It's the worst JRPG which I have played and finished.

Lost Odyssey explained everything except for why immortals are immortal in this world, but really do you expect them to explain that? That's like complaining that they didn't explain how a new universe was created with the 2 Gods in XenoBlade Chronicles.

The fact that you relate the two, I can't take you seriously anymore.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database

Michael-5 said:
lurkerwithnosoul said:
Michael-5 said:

pls Michael that hurts.

Ouch!

Lost Odyssey had an amazing ending, and overall I think it's the best JRPG game this gen. Niers endings were 30 seconds long, they never explain how Yonha magically gets cured from the Black Sprawl, they never explain how the Black Sprawl came into existance, how humanity nearly came to an extinction 1300 years ago, why there are "generations" of identical people who use human shells which get old and die (but somehow come back with new souls or lives attached to them) and well it explained diddly squat. Plus you had to replay half the game with no branching story path and very minimal added dialogue.

Nier isn't as bad as N3, but from what I played of Tales 2 and TLR it's no better then that. It's the worst JRPG which I have played and finished.

Now I know you didn't pay too much attention as ALL of the above were answered. No wonder you didn't love the ending or weren't move if you had no idea what the hell was going on.

Personally, I don't think N3 is bad. It's not very deep, but definitely very enjoyable and solid effort early this generation. TLR on PC isn't bad, just average. Tales 2 is awful though.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Michael-5 said:
outlawauron said:
Michael-5 said:
Wright said:
Otakumegane said:
I've wanted a 360 since tales of Vesperia.

But...I had no $$.

Now that gen's ending i'll pcik up a PS3 and play the Jprgs there.

Wait until Nextbox is announced, then wait a little more until Ps4 and the Nextbox are released. The price for a Ps3 or a Xbox must be really low by then.

Then you should aim for:

(360) -> Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Infinite Undiscovery, The Last Remnant, Magna Carta 2, Tales of Vesperia, Ninety-nine nights (not exactly an RPG) and some others. Project Sylpheed (Spaceship shooter, with a JRPG like story, mediocre reviews only because it's a 4-5 hour game), Too Human (It's Not JRPG, and labeled an Action Adventure Game, but trust me it's much more of an RPG then Nier or Mass Effect, and it's good despite the ratings)

(Ps3) -> The Atelier series, Ni No Kuni, a new Tales of game (Graces f and Xillia), Demon's Souls, White Knight Chronicles, Valkiria Chronicles, Folklore! and some others too.

(Multi-platform) -> Star Ocean: The Last Hope, FFXIII/XIII-2, Catherine (Puzzle), Enchanted Arms (it's okay)

(Wii) -> XenoBlade Chronicles, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, The Last Story, Pandora's Tower, Tales of Symphonia 2

If owned both, then you've also got: Eternal Sonata, Dark Souls, Resonance of Fate, Nier...

That's a great idea! I picked up a replacement PS2 last year for $40, I'm sure 360 will crash too in a couple years.

However that's a terrible list of games, Ninty Nine Nights? Really? Have you played that game? It's crap! Last Remnant is also laggy as hell, and Blue Dragon is meh, same with Atelier. Nier isn't that special either, it feels unfinished, and the endings are pretty lame and unsatisfying.

I dearly hope you weren't the ones crossing out the titles.

Why? What did I cross out which you disagree with?

Nier and the Atelier series are two that stick out the most (along with your exclusion of Tales 2). TLR is bad on 360, but the PC port wasn't awful. Also found N3 fun. Gameplay was fun and easy to get into and there were a lot of fun scene/stages.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
Michael-5 said:
lurkerwithnosoul said:
Michael-5 said:

pls Michael that hurts.

Ouch!

Now I know you didn't pay too much attention as ALL of the above were answered. No wonder you didn't love the ending or weren't move if you had no idea what the hell was going on.

Personally, I don't think N3 is bad. It's not very deep, but definitely very enjoyable and solid effort early this generation. TLR on PC isn't bad, just average. Tales 2 is awful though.

No it wasn't.

Talking to a bird and having Griess answer "World parished because of Black Sprawl" isn't good enough. Having a couple documents and Emils chapter isn't enough to tell me what kind of weapons they were making, and where the Black Sprawl came from. I understood what was going on, but a sentance explaination to explain the crisis's of the game isn't satisfactory.

I thought N3 was maybe half decent for an earlyeffort this gen, but N3 did not improve on the game at all and that was a mid generation game. Plus there is no reason top lay these games now, they are crap compared to other 7th gen JRPG's (or Japanese styled games), and crap compared to older games on older consoles.

I haven't played much T2, but Nier was crap to me. Enchanted Arms was a much better game, and that says something.

Michael-5 said:
lurkerwithnosoul said:
Michael-5 said:

pls Michael that hurts.

Ouch!

Lost Odyssey explained everything except for why immortals are immortal in this world, but really do you expect them to explain that? That's like complaining that they didn't explain how a new universe was created with the 2 Gods in XenoBlade Chronicles.

The fact that you relate the two, I can't take you seriously anymore.

That's easy to tackle. Read this: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vEP2iZ52P-DWhQBQ2Is6R8Wjao99AGi0YuWShTvA-tA/preview

Everything is explained, you just didn't bother to find the questions by yourself.

Wright said:
outlawauron said:

Record of Agarest War came to mind for me as well. Started playing it again recently. It has a good battle system and the story is good as well. Definitely for fans of SRPGs and VNs.

Yup. But I'm screwed. The Xbox 360 version never came to Europe. Even if I were to import the game from the United States, the damn thing is region-lock. So no Record of Agarest War for me D:

Get it for PS3 over PSN. It released on PSN.

Also 360 isn't region locked. Can a single game be region locked?

Michael-5 said:

Get it for PS3 over PSN. It released on PSN.

Also 360 isn't region locked. Can a single game be region locked?

Yep, I'm afraid it is.

outlawauron said:
Michael-5 said:

Why? What did I cross out which you disagree with?

Nier and the Atelier series are two that stick out the most (along with your exclusion of Tales 2). TLR is bad on 360, but the PC port wasn't awful. Also found N3 fun. Gameplay was fun and easy to get into and there were a lot of fun scene/stages.

Atelier is okay, I shouldn't have crossed that out, it's better then everything else I crossed out, but I wouldn't consider it good.

Nier was terrible, worse then TLR, I don't understand how this game has such a stong fan backing. Compared to Drakengard this is complete garbage, and in general it's a bad game, with a terrible ending, with a lot of repetetive gameplay (I mean you have to beat the game once and two more half times just to see all the endings, ending cutscenese are 30s long, and there are no branching story paths, just branching endings).

I found the in game cut scenes with Emil to be a lot better then the ones which explained the plot. They should have just made the game about Emil.