By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - JRPG fans, why don't you.....

Tagged games:

Do you like Lost Odyssey?

Yes it's the best console JRPG this gen 28 9.49%

Yes, it's one of the better JRPG's 62 21.02%

Kinda, but it doesn't stand out 25 8.47%

It's Average 21 7.12%

Not really 14 4.75%

No, I Hate It 14 4.75%

I didn't play it because it's one 360 86 29.15%

See Results 45 15.25%

Total:295
Mad55 said:

I never  once said the 360 was a better place for new ips more I showing that there's a good market for it and that the ps3 isn't some sure shot for good sales for jrpgs as some In This thread are saying. The original poster who I was quoting acted as If the ps3 would have made the lost odyssey sell better back then and that wasn't a fact but a possibility.

No prediction based on hypothetical scenarios this complex is ever really fact, but he has the most evidence behind his argument unless you assume that Sony would not have put up the ad campaign that MS did which is a reasonable probability but not what you presented.  

Yes, he was wrong in the idea that it definitely would have sold better had it been on PS3 but you were wrong in your justification "considering alot of the the new rpgs ips relased exclusively on 360 sold better than the new ones on ps3 imma have to say that its in no way absolute that it would have sold better on ps3." because you arne't comparing apples to apples with your "a lot of the new RPGs IPs released sold better"  The only apples to apples comparisons for rpg fanbase sales have been in favor of the PS3, so assuming that it got the same ad campaign I think the most likely answer is it would have sold better.  

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
lurkerwithnosoul said:

Underrated.

It had a great OST and battle system, I just thought everything else was mediocre or worse. Especially disliked the story and characters and it's really not very tough for me to like characters.

Well, the characters lacked emotion... at least their face could use some more. But the story wasn't that bad as most tell. Sure the plot was generic at best, but the game gave me a great sence of adventuring. The characters were constantly kept at edge by the main antagonist (even when he was not present, since the world was crumbling to his power), overall, i believe they had a good back and forth with Nene. It made the build up to the last level much more satisfactory than it would be without it. And there was a nice foreshadowing in the game. It would work better as an optional last quest, but it was still nice.

Sure as hell beats the crap out of whatever plot and characters Star Ocean 4 or Magnacarta 2 had.

lurkerwithnosoul said:
outlawauron said:
lurkerwithnosoul said:

Underrated.

It had a great OST and battle system, I just thought everything else was mediocre or worse. Especially disliked the story and characters and it's really not very tough for me to like characters.

Well, the characters lacked emotion... at least their face could use some more. But the story wasn't that bad as most tell. Sure the plot was generic at best, but the game gave me a great sence of adventuring. The characters were constantly kept at edge by the main antagonist (even when he was not present, since the world was crumbling to his power), overall, i believe they had a good back and forth with Nene. It made the build up to the last level much more satisfactory than it would be without it. And there was a nice foreshadowing in the game. It would work better as an optional last quest, but it was still nice.

Sure as hell beats the crap out of whatever plot and characters Star Ocean 4 or Magnacarta 2 had.

Star Ocean 4 was much worse for sure. The plot in that one fell apart after the first twist.

I did think the villian was awful though. He had no motivations for his actions and did it all largely for the sake of doing so.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Wright said:
Michael-5 said:
Wright said:
Otakumegane said:
I've wanted a 360 since tales of Vesperia.

But...I had no $$.

Now that gen's ending i'll pcik up a PS3 and play the Jprgs there.

Wait until Nextbox is announced, then wait a little more until Ps4 and the Nextbox are released. The price for a Ps3 or a Xbox must be really low by then.

Then you should aim for:

(360) -> Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Infinite Undiscovery, The Last Remnant, Magna Carta 2, Tales of Vesperia, Ninety-nine nights (not exactly an RPG) and some others. Project Sylpheed (Spaceship shooter, with a JRPG like story, mediocre reviews only because it's a 4-5 hour game), Too Human (It's Not JRPG, and labeled an Action Adventure Game, but trust me it's much more of an RPG then Nier or Mass Effect, and it's good despite the ratings)

(Ps3) -> The Atelier series, Ni No Kuni, a new Tales of game (Graces f and Xillia), Demon's Souls, White Knight Chronicles, Valkiria Chronicles, Folklore! and some others too.

(Multi-platform) -> Star Ocean: The Last Hope, FFXIII/XIII-2, Catherine (Puzzle), Enchanted Arms (it's okay)

(Wii) -> XenoBlade Chronicles, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, The Last Story, Pandora's Tower, Tales of Symphonia 2

If owned both, then you've also got: Eternal Sonata, Dark Souls, Resonance of Fate, Nier...

That's a great idea! I picked up a replacement PS2 last year for $40, I'm sure 360 will crash too in a couple years.

However that's a terrible list of games, Ninty Nine Nights? Really? Have you played that game? It's crap! Last Remnant is also laggy as hell, and Blue Dragon is meh, same with Atelier. Nier isn't that special either, it feels unfinished, and the endings are pretty lame and unsatisfying.

Christ, you almost stroke my entire list!

While most of them are pretty crappy, I like 'em. I can play average games and like them: The Last Remnant is pretty crappy, but I'm loving it so far. Other than the technical issues (and No New Game +) the game is good. Nier is good too, just felt short of expectations. Can't say I've tried Ninety Nine Nights, though.

I didn't mention the Wii. My mistake. You should however strike Tales of Symphonia 2. That game is just a mess and it destroy whatever awesome story Symphonia 1 had within the first five minutes of the game.

And don't you dare not mentioning the Atelier series! D: I would buy a Ps3 for 'em.

Have you beaten Nier? The endings were so unsatisfactory. The game didn't stumble and fall short, it fell into oncoming traffic and got hit by a rocket powered truck.

N3 is the definition of a bad video game. You just stand for hours tapping A to do the same combo over and over, and enemies keep respawning. It's no fun, it's repetetive and tedious and the story isn't that good either.

I striked Last Remnant, not because the game was particularly crappy (it's okay), but it's so god damn laggy, I find it unplayable.

I have to play Tales 2 to judge it, I generally hear mixed things

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Wright said:
outlawauron said:

Record of Agarest War came to mind for me as well. Started playing it again recently. It has a good battle system and the story is good as well. Definitely for fans of SRPGs and VNs.

Yup. But I'm screwed. The Xbox 360 version never came to Europe. Even if I were to import the game from the United States, the damn thing is region-lock. So no Record of Agarest War for me D:

That's sad. If you don't have a PS3, then you most definitely should get one. I don't see how somehow with your tastes could not have one! I know they brought it over for PS3 there.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
Wright said:
Michael-5 said:
ShadowSoldier said:
I got a 360 specifically because of Lost Odyssey loved it. My only problem is the level capping. I hated that. I love the feeling of being overpowered because I simply trained my ass off for hours on end. The fact that it took that away from me and then it was Random Encounters just made the REs more annoying. Its one thing to get hit with a battle every so often but the fact that I got hit with them frequently and I couldn't even Level up after a certain while was just BS

What pissed me off was that treasure trove achievement (the one for opening every chest in that game). I apparently missed one, even though I used a guide, and because of the random encounters (and 2 impossible to return to chests), I'm not going to try to go and look for it. Sucks because it takes me away from a perfect score and a complete game. I really wanted to max this game out.

Perhaps you've missed a chest in an area you can't go back? That would solve things pretty good. Just go to the Auction in the Port City and purchase whatever item is left. That unlocks the achievement too.

If it's that simple......

My game is on a shelf at my parents, I'll test this out next week. If this works, I'll be so happy, bu then I gotta go through the DLC. I never beat that last super hard boss.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database

outlawauron said:
Wright said:
outlawauron said:

Record of Agarest War came to mind for me as well. Started playing it again recently. It has a good battle system and the story is good as well. Definitely for fans of SRPGs and VNs.

Yup. But I'm screwed. The Xbox 360 version never came to Europe. Even if I were to import the game from the United States, the damn thing is region-lock. So no Record of Agarest War for me D:

That's sad. If you don't have a PS3, then you most definitely should get one. I don't see how somehow with your tastes could not have one! I know they brought it over for PS3 there.

Yup, I definitively should. Money is the problem xD I'm really happy with my 360, but I wouldn't mind a PS3 for its JRPGs. When PS4 and Nextbox are released, I'll look into it, hopefully the price will be almost a giveaway!

outlawauron said:
lurkerwithnosoul said:
outlawauron said:
lurkerwithnosoul said:

Underrated.

Star Ocean 4 was much worse for sure. The plot in that one fell apart after the first twist.

I did think the villian was awful though. He had no motivations for his actions and did it all largely for the sake of doing so.

^Does he look like a guy who needs motivations? I mean, besides striving for world domination. 

This guy was 90% evil, 10% purple

outlawauron said:
Michael-5 said:
Wright said:
Otakumegane said:
I've wanted a 360 since tales of Vesperia.

But...I had no $$.

Now that gen's ending i'll pcik up a PS3 and play the Jprgs there.

Wait until Nextbox is announced, then wait a little more until Ps4 and the Nextbox are released. The price for a Ps3 or a Xbox must be really low by then.

Then you should aim for:

(360) -> Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Infinite Undiscovery, The Last Remnant, Magna Carta 2, Tales of Vesperia, Ninety-nine nights (not exactly an RPG) and some others. Project Sylpheed (Spaceship shooter, with a JRPG like story, mediocre reviews only because it's a 4-5 hour game), Too Human (It's Not JRPG, and labeled an Action Adventure Game, but trust me it's much more of an RPG then Nier or Mass Effect, and it's good despite the ratings)

(Ps3) -> The Atelier series, Ni No Kuni, a new Tales of game (Graces f and Xillia), Demon's Souls, White Knight Chronicles, Valkiria Chronicles, Folklore! and some others too.

(Multi-platform) -> Star Ocean: The Last Hope, FFXIII/XIII-2, Catherine (Puzzle), Enchanted Arms (it's okay)

(Wii) -> XenoBlade Chronicles, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, The Last Story, Pandora's Tower, Tales of Symphonia 2

If owned both, then you've also got: Eternal Sonata, Dark Souls, Resonance of Fate, Nier...

That's a great idea! I picked up a replacement PS2 last year for $40, I'm sure 360 will crash too in a couple years.

However that's a terrible list of games, Ninty Nine Nights? Really? Have you played that game? It's crap! Last Remnant is also laggy as hell, and Blue Dragon is meh, same with Atelier. Nier isn't that special either, it feels unfinished, and the endings are pretty lame and unsatisfying.

I dearly hope you weren't the ones crossing out the titles.

Why? What did I cross out which you disagree with?

Michael-5 said:

Have you beaten Nier? The endings were so unsatisfactory. The game didn't stumble and fall short, it fell into oncoming traffic and got hit by a rocket powered truck.

N3 is the definition of a bad video game. You just stand for hours tapping A to do the same combo over and over, and enemies keep respawning. It's no fun, it's repetetive and tedious and the story isn't that good either.

I striked Last Remnant, not because the game was particularly crappy (it's okay), but it's so god damn laggy, I find it unplayable.

I have to play Tales 2 to judge it, I generally hear mixed things

Nope. Haven't played Nier, but I want to. Don't tell me that, though D: Was it real that you had all your save data erased?

N3...damn it! I have heard bad things about it, but to that point, it looks ridiculous. I don't agree with The Last Remnant, though. Perhaps it is because I installed it in the Hard Drive, but I can play it with (almost) no problems.

Tales 2 is horrible, but not because it is laggy or unplayable, but because they dumbed it down really hard. The Tales' charisma is absent there.

Michael-5 said:

If it's that simple......

My game is on a shelf at my parents, I'll test this out next week. If this works, I'll be so happy, bu then I gotta go through the DLC. I never beat that last super hard boss.

Try it! Who knows. You maybe got luck this time. There was a trick which involved Sed for the Last boss in the DLC that allowed you to win within three turns. Check it out in youtube.