By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - JRPG fans, why don't you.....

Tagged games:

Do you like Lost Odyssey?

Yes it's the best console JRPG this gen 28 9.49%

Yes, it's one of the better JRPG's 62 21.02%

Kinda, but it doesn't stand out 25 8.47%

It's Average 21 7.12%

Not really 14 4.75%

No, I Hate It 14 4.75%

I didn't play it because it's one 360 86 29.15%

See Results 45 15.25%

Total:295
Mad55 said:
Torillian said:
Mad55 said:
Torillian said:
Mad55 said:

lol JRPg's are niche in general. Lost odyssey wasn't some super big budgeted game like final fantasy. but yea its all good lol.

Lost Odyssey didn't have a super big budget but it certainly had a bigger budget than all the games you listed.  Hell it might have a bigger budget than all those games combined, unless you think that Lost Odyssey's production values come from just being better at coding for no increased cost for some reason. 

I wish companies would put out budgets for games like movies do so I can stop seeing ridiculous things like comparing Lost Odyssey to Hyperdimension Neptunia.  

I think its budget was higher but not by much.  also a higher budget doesn't guarantee higher sales. 

A TV commercial certainly does.  You show me a TV commercial for any of those supposedly just as Niche JRPGs that you listed.  Hell, Demon's Souls and VC didn't have TV commercials either even though they're probably closer to the budget of Lost Odyssey.  

Budgets aren't higher by much?  Atelier titles continue to get sequels before Western sales even come in, so Atelier Ayesha got a sequel based off of 130,000 sales in Japan.  That's the kind of budget those games have, do you honestly think Lost Odyssey would make a profit off of 130,000 sales?

The idea of comparing "new IP JRPG selling ability" by looking at games in completely different situations is ridiculous.  Want a new IP JRPG to look at?Resonance of Fate which is actually a reasonable comparison because they're in the exact same situation.  Same game, same budgets, same marketting campaigns, and it's a new IP.  

If two jrgs come out at the same time with the same development budget and one has a commercial and the other doesnt and the one with the commercial sucks ass and the one without the commercial is incredible and their both new IPs ill say the one without the commercial will do betteroverall. 

Possibly, but you'd be hard pressed to prove that quality is more of a determining factor to eventual sales than marketting.  You can get grass roots long term sales like Demon's Souls or Valkyria Chronicles but I don't really see much similarity between the sales patterns of those two games and that of Lost Odyssey.  

To be honest, I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make, how does the above legitimize your claim that Neptunia is comparable to Lost Odyssey and therefore shows that 360 is a better place for new IPs?

Around the Network

It did take me a long time to get to the fourth disc and I did a lot of level grinding outside the Temple of Enlightenment which is good for leveling up your characters but enemy encounters are not very frequent.  I learned all the skills for Jansen, Cook, Mack, Tolten and Sed.  I also defeated three bonus bosses King Kelolon, Ghost of Eastern Ruins, and the Golden Knight (which gives you the best skill in the game Ultimate Hit).

Absolutely loved Lost Oddyssey.

>Nier isn't special either

So i stopped listening to your rant at this point.

Lost Odyssey's characters were great. It was nice to play a JRPG in which the bulk of the cast were adults. The "kids save the world" theme of most JRPG' s can get tiresome.

Around the Network
Wright said:
Michael-5 said:
Wright said:
Otakumegane said:
I've wanted a 360 since tales of Vesperia.

But...I had no $$.

Now that gen's ending i'll pcik up a PS3 and play the Jprgs there.

Wait until Nextbox is announced, then wait a little more until Ps4 and the Nextbox are released. The price for a Ps3 or a Xbox must be really low by then.

Then you should aim for:

(360) -> Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Infinite Undiscovery, The Last Remnant, Magna Carta 2, Tales of Vesperia, Ninety-nine nights (not exactly an RPG) and some others. Project Sylpheed (Spaceship shooter, with a JRPG like story, mediocre reviews only because it's a 4-5 hour game), Too Human (It's Not JRPG, and labeled an Action Adventure Game, but trust me it's much more of an RPG then Nier or Mass Effect, and it's good despite the ratings)

(Ps3) -> The Atelier series, Ni No Kuni, a new Tales of game (Graces f and Xillia), Demon's Souls, White Knight Chronicles, Valkiria Chronicles, Folklore! and some others too.

(Multi-platform) -> Star Ocean: The Last Hope, FFXIII/XIII-2, Catherine (Puzzle), Enchanted Arms (it's okay)

(Wii) -> XenoBlade Chronicles, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, The Last Story, Pandora's Tower, Tales of Symphonia 2

If owned both, then you've also got: Eternal Sonata, Dark Souls, Resonance of Fate, Nier...

That's a great idea! I picked up a replacement PS2 last year for $40, I'm sure 360 will crash too in a couple years.

However that's a terrible list of games, Ninty Nine Nights? Really? Have you played that game? It's crap! Last Remnant is also laggy as hell, and Blue Dragon is meh, same with Atelier. Nier isn't that special either, it feels unfinished, and the endings are pretty lame and unsatisfying.

Christ, you almost stroke my entire list!

While most of them are pretty crappy, I like 'em. I can play average games and like them: The Last Remnant is pretty crappy, but I'm loving it so far. Other than the technical issues (and No New Game +) the game is good. Nier is good too, just felt short of expectations. Can't say I've tried Ninety Nine Nights, though.

I didn't mention the Wii. My mistake. You should however strike Tales of Symphonia 2. That game is just a mess and it destroy whatever awesome story Symphonia 1 had within the first five minutes of the game.

And don't you dare not mentioning the Atelier series! D: I would buy a Ps3 for 'em.

The list crosser has some pretty terrible taste.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Chris Hu said:

It did take me a long time to get to the fourth disc and I did a lot of level grinding outside the Temple of Enlightenment which is good for leveling up your characters but enemy encounters are not very frequent.  I learned all the skills for Jansen, Cook, Mack, Tolten and Sed.  I also defeated three bonus bosses King Kelolon, Ghost of Eastern Ruins, and the Golden Knight (which gives you the best skill in the game Ultimate Hit).

Beat those guys too. I did everything in the game except for leveling up the immortals, temple of enlightenment, and finishing the arena.

outlawauron said:

The list crosser has some pretty terrible taste.

Well, tastes are like colours. Can't say I've agreed with him in the past, but I respect his opinion. It amazes me how he does not like the Atelier series though D:

On a side note, I agree with you. Lost Odyssey wasn't particulary long, but it was mainly because it stopped being challenging when the Inmortals learned every single mortal skill. They become way too overpowered. That made the game far more easy and thus, way shorter.

outlawauron said:
Chris Hu said:

Beat those guys too. I did everything in the game except for leveling up the immortals, temple of enlightenment, and finishing the arena.

Getting to the boss at the end of the temple of enlightenment was a pain tried a couple of time without a guide to get through it and got lost a bunch of times. 

Chris Hu said:
outlawauron said:
Chris Hu said:

Getting to the boss at the end of the temple of enlightenment was a pain tried a couple of time without a guide to get through it and got lost a bunch of times. 

Pretty much why I didn't bother with it after spending a few minutes in there.