By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - JRPG fans, why don't you.....

Tagged games:

Do you like Lost Odyssey?

Yes it's the best console JRPG this gen 28 9.49%

Yes, it's one of the better JRPG's 62 21.02%

Kinda, but it doesn't stand out 25 8.47%

It's Average 21 7.12%

Not really 14 4.75%

No, I Hate It 14 4.75%

I didn't play it because it's one 360 86 29.15%

See Results 45 15.25%

Total:295
Darc Requiem said:
Oniyide, Americans were never really into JRPGs to begin with. Final Fantasy was the only franchise that was a big seller. Thanks to Sony's heavy promotion of FFVII, other developers started localizing JRPGs. They didn't put the ad dollars behind their franchises that Sony did with FFVII and they didn't see the same result. So the genre never really got a foothold.

As for people buying PS3's and Wii's assuming they'd get JRPG support, that's stupidly foolish especially given the PS3's launch price, but I could see that being the case because of the PS2. At least initially. However I've owned every Nintendo home console. The last Nintendo home console with good JRPG support was the SNES. The N64 had nothing and the Gamecube only got a handful JRPGs.

Just because those other franchises didnt do FF numbers doesnt mean people didnt buy them. Just look at sales for the PS1 Jrpgs they were healthy, much more than they ever were, started to dip in PS2 era and go back to SNES numbers again this gen. 

Its not stupid if it actually worked. PS3 is getting JRPG support, that is a fact. I feel you are trying to ignore the recent years. I can only speak for myself, but i knew that japan was never going to support 360 which is what MS wanted them to do which is why they went so hard for the JRPGS, that didnt work. So the more popular ones were ported to a system that people were buying in Japan (vesperia, StarOcean, etc.). then 360 straight up just stopped getting anything recently. So at the end of the day, if you are a JRPGs fan you would have had to get a PS3 (console wise) anyway. maybe some came to the same conclusion. Ill also add that the JRPGS that 360 were getting IMHO just werent that good in the first place. nowhere near the caliber of SNES/PS1 or even PS2 era. but you could probably say that for the genre this gen.

Around the Network
enditall727 said:
Darc Requiem said:

Unfortunately fanboys would rather follow hardware and bitch about the lack of software. As such one of the best JRPGs of the generation will likely never see a sequel. As with The Last Story, Mistwalker was only the developer of the game. The IP belongs to the hardware manufacturer. Nintendo owns the The Last Story and Microsoft owns Lost Odyssey.

hmm

Why sit here and be mad at the JRPG fans? Be mad at the devs for putting their fish food in a tank where there is no fish to consume it.

Edit: idk

if i didn't know any better, i would think that this is just another case of "oh lets blame teh PlayStation fans"

That's what it pretty much seems like you are trying to do. The 360 got all these JRPGs which didn't really sell and now you're sitting here trying to blame PlayStation fans for it? WTF

i'm hoping i'm wrong though

It could be, better than saying blame the Japanese, cause thats all it really comes down to as it was that audience that MS was trying to court. But since that didnt work, they said screw it. IMHO that was a good move, they tried it didnt work, they moved on. It is kind of silly cause the people who need to be "blamed" arent even here, so its just pissing in the wind at this point.

enditall727 said:
Darc Requiem said:

Unfortunately fanboys would rather follow hardware and bitch about the lack of software. As such one of the best JRPGs of the generation will likely never see a sequel. As with The Last Story, Mistwalker was only the developer of the game. The IP belongs to the hardware manufacturer. Nintendo owns the The Last Story and Microsoft owns Lost Odyssey.

hmm

Why sit here and be mad at the JRPG fans? Be mad at the devs for putting their fish food in a tank where there is no fish to consume it.

Edit: idk

if i didn't know any better, i would think that this is just another case of "oh lets blame teh PlayStation fans"

That's what it pretty much seems like you are trying to do. The 360 got all these JRPGs which didn't really sell and now you're sitting here trying to blame PlayStation fans for it? WTF

i'm hoping i'm wrong though

I'm just tired of people blowing smoke about being fans of things when their actions indicate otherwise.

Wright said:
Otakumegane said:
I've wanted a 360 since tales of Vesperia.

But...I had no $$.

Now that gen's ending i'll pcik up a PS3 and play the Jprgs there.

Wait until Nextbox is announced, then wait a little more until Ps4 and the Nextbox are released. The price for a Ps3 or a Xbox must be really low by then.

Then you should aim for:

(360) -> Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Infinite Undiscovery, The Last Remnant, Magna Carta 2, Tales of Vesperia, Ninety-nine nights (not exactly an RPG) and some others. Project Sylpheed (Spaceship shooter, with a JRPG like story, mediocre reviews only because it's a 4-5 hour game), Too Human (It's Not JRPG, and labeled an Action Adventure Game, but trust me it's much more of an RPG then Nier or Mass Effect, and it's good despite the ratings)

(Ps3) -> The Atelier series, Ni No Kuni, a new Tales of game (Graces f and Xillia), Demon's Souls, White Knight Chronicles, Valkiria Chronicles, Folklore! and some others too.

(Multi-platform) -> Star Ocean: The Last Hope, FFXIII/XIII-2, Catherine (Puzzle), Enchanted Arms (it's okay)

(Wii) -> XenoBlade Chronicles, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, The Last Story, Pandora's Tower, Tales of Symphonia 2

If owned both, then you've also got: Eternal Sonata, Dark Souls, Resonance of Fate, Nier...

That's a great idea! I picked up a replacement PS2 last year for $40, I'm sure 360 will crash too in a couple years.

However that's a terrible list of games, Ninty Nine Nights? Really? Have you played that game? It's crap! Last Remnant is also laggy as hell, and Blue Dragon is meh, same with Atelier. Nier isn't that special either, it feels unfinished, and the endings are pretty lame and unsatisfying.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Mad55 said:

lol JRPg's are niche in general. Lost odyssey wasn't some super big budgeted game like final fantasy. but yea its all good lol.

Lost Odyssey didn't have a super big budget but it certainly had a bigger budget than all the games you listed.  Hell it might have a bigger budget than all those games combined, unless you think that Lost Odyssey's production values come from just being better at coding for no increased cost for some reason. 

I wish companies would put out budgets for games like movies do so I can stop seeing ridiculous things like comparing Lost Odyssey to Hyperdimension Neptunia.  

Around the Network

Lost Odyssey looks good but I won't buy a console just for 1 game.

Torillian said:
Mad55 said:

lol JRPg's are niche in general. Lost odyssey wasn't some super big budgeted game like final fantasy. but yea its all good lol.

Lost Odyssey didn't have a super big budget but it certainly had a bigger budget than all the games you listed.  Hell it might have a bigger budget than all those games combined, unless you think that Lost Odyssey's production values come from just being better at coding for no increased cost for some reason. 

I wish companies would put out budgets for games like movies do so I can stop seeing ridiculous things like comparing Lost Odyssey to Hyperdimension Neptunia.  

I think its budget was higher but not by much.  also a higher budget doesn't guarantee higher sales. 

AshKetchum1992 said:
Lost Odyssey looks good but I won't buy a console just for 1 game.

Tales of Vesperia

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database

Mad55 said:
Torillian said:
Mad55 said:

I think its budget was higher but not by much.  also a higher budget doesn't guarantee higher sales. 

A TV commercial certainly does.  You show me a TV commercial for any of those supposedly just as Niche JRPGs that you listed.  Hell, Demon's Souls and VC didn't have TV commercials either even though they're probably closer to the budget of Lost Odyssey.  

Budgets aren't higher by much?  Atelier titles continue to get sequels before Western sales even come in, so Atelier Ayesha got a sequel based off of 130,000 sales in Japan.  That's the kind of budget those games have, do you honestly think Lost Odyssey would make a profit off of 130,000 sales?

The idea of comparing "new IP JRPG selling ability" by looking at games in completely different situations is ridiculous.  Want a new IP JRPG to look at?Resonance of Fate which is actually a reasonable comparison because they're in the exact same situation.  Same game, same budgets, same marketting campaigns, and it's a new IP.  

oniyide said:
Darc Requiem said:

A JRPG fan  would have bought a 360 because lets be honest here, for the bulk of the last generation that's where the console JRPGs were. This wasn't a PSP and DS situation in which you could look at either platform for a JRPG fix. The Wii and PS3 had slim pickings when it came to JRPGs. So if you didn't buy a 360 when it was practically the sole source for JRPGs. Don't claim to be a JRPG fan.

oh please, how much Jrpgs are coming out for 360 this year? how about last year? year before that? Lets not act like 360 dominates that market. They havent in a while if ever, that honor goes to PSP and DS. And like you said yourself if you have either of those (and looking at sales, especially in Japan) alot of people have those. So that where you would get your JRPG fix and frankly a good amonut of those JRPGs ended up getting ported anyway.. I think LO and BD are the only actuall exclusives left

That's a bad arguement Darc Requiem is talking about 2008 where 360 had Lost Odyssey, Tales of Vesperia, Blue Dragon, Infinite Undiscovery, The Last Remnant, Blue Dragon, Project Sylpheed (Not a JRPG, but Square Enix exclusive with a JRPG like story) Star Ocean (still an exclusive then), Eternal Sonata (still and exclusive then), and Magna Carta 2 coming. PS3 at the time only had Folklore and Valkyria Chronicles. Plus FFXIII was announced as a multiplatform title. 2008 was a strong point for the 360 in JRPG's, and PS3 really had almost nothing. (bolded the still 360 exclusives)

360 DID Dominate the market in 2007/2008. Heck Wii had just as many JRPG's and PS3 in 2008 (Fire Emblem and Tales of Symphonia 2)

I'm a big JRPG fan and one of the reasons I bought my 360 in 2007 was because of all the exclusive JRPG's announced for the 360 at the time.

Now in 2011-2013, Sony has caught up to the 360 in terms of JRPG exclusives, and I would even agree offers more (when Xillia releases). So what Darc is saying is 100% true. Before you argue with him, read his posts. Most hardcore JRPG fans probably do have a 360 just for Lost Odyssey, Tales of Vesperia, and Infinite Undiscovery, but I think there are still a lot of JRPG fans on the PS3 now, which are glad to have a PS3 since it now has more JRPG's.