By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Put a fork in the Wii U, it is done. [Sensible discussion only, no flaming]

Max King of the Wild said:
JakDaSnack said:
Soundwave said:
snowdog said:
The PS4 components are a mistake because they're going to raise the comparative manufacturing cost of the console. Sony aren't in the financial position to make huge losses on each unit sold. There's absolutely no way that they can manage to have the PS4 retailing for less than $400.

Microsoft have taken a much more sensible approach with their hardware but if those rumours are true they've shot themselves in the foot regarding software and running the console. I've plenty of people on plenty of boards flat out saying that no used games is a dealbreaker.

As for the Wii U sales, I've already given my reasoning - software.

There's really nothing in the PS4 chipset all that special outside of double the RAM that was expected, which they placed likely an 8-9 year order on, meaning they probably got one hell of a deal on it. GDDR5 RAM is in every modern GPU too, it's not like its some exotic, speciality component. If I'm a RAM supplier, sure I'd probably take the deal on 8-9 years worth of double the order of RAM even if it means I give you the RAM for a cheaper price per stick. That's millions and millions in revenues given the way the PS1/2/and even 3 have sold (en route to 100 million perhaps). 

Otherwise it's just some cheap notebook CPU cores + mid-range PC GPU. 

Nothing out of this world for late 2013. Blu-Ray drive is dirt cheap. One thing Sony will likely change is you'll have to buy propiertary HDDs (like the 360), so that opens up another revenue stream for Sony. 

Sony won't make a profit at $399.99, but they probably won't take that big of a loss either. I'm thinking less than $40 a unit. 

Really? Minus the gpu, the wiiU costs 224 dollars to manufacture, and that doesn't include things like shipping, licensing etc.  With the gamepad costing 80 bucks http://www.gamnesia.com/news/cnn-money-breaks-down-the-exact-cost-of-the-wii-u Although, I wouldn't be surprsied with a 400 dollar price point, my guess is that they will be taking a 100 dollar loss.

The DS4 would probably be like $50 less than the gamepad. We know Nintendo is selling them at around $280 and loosing about $35 per console on the Wii U... You think the Ps4 will be about $480?

ya, I could see that, do you know how much the eye thing will cost to manufacture?

Something...Something...Games...Something

Around the Network
JakDaSnack said:
JakDaSnack said:
Soundwave said:
snowdog said:
The PS4 components are a mistake because they're going to raise the comparative manufacturing cost of the console. Sony aren't in the financial position to make huge losses on each unit sold. There's absolutely no way that they can manage to have the PS4 retailing for less than $400.

Microsoft have taken a much more sensible approach with their hardware but if those rumours are true they've shot themselves in the foot regarding software and running the console. I've plenty of people on plenty of boards flat out saying that no used games is a dealbreaker.

As for the Wii U sales, I've already given my reasoning - software.

There's really nothing in the PS4 chipset all that special outside of double the RAM that was expected, which they placed likely an 8-9 year order on, meaning they probably got one hell of a deal on it. GDDR5 RAM is in every modern GPU too, it's not like its some exotic, speciality component. If I'm a RAM supplier, sure I'd probably take the deal on 8-9 years worth of double the order of RAM even if it means I give you the RAM for a cheaper price per stick. That's millions and millions in revenues given the way the PS1/2/and even 3 have sold (en route to 100 million perhaps). 

Otherwise it's just some cheap notebook CPU cores + mid-range PC GPU. 

Nothing out of this world for late 2013. Blu-Ray drive is dirt cheap. One thing Sony will likely change is you'll have to buy propiertary HDDs (like the 360), so that opens up another revenue stream for Sony. 

Sony won't make a profit at $399.99, but they probably won't take that big of a loss either. I'm thinking less than $40 a unit. 

Really? Minus the gpu, the wiiU costs 224 dollars to manufacture, and that doesn't include things like shipping, licensing etc.  With the gamepad costing 80 bucks http://www.gamnesia.com/news/cnn-money-breaks-down-the-exact-cost-of-the-wii-u Although, I wouldn't be surprsied with a 400 dollar price point, my guess is that they will be taking a 100 dollar loss.

The DS4 would probably be like $50 less than the gamepad. We know Nintendo is selling them at around $280 and loosing about $35 per console on the Wii U... You think the Ps4 will be about $480?

ya, I could see that, do you know how much the eye thing will cost to manufacture?

Not much. There isn't anything special about it.

reggin_bolas said:
binary solo said:
I think 50 million is doable. But considering PS3 doing 55-65% of PS2 is regarded as abject failure by those who like to see the worst in things, especially anything Sony. Wii U doing 50% of Wii should be seen in the same light.

However, potential should be taken into account. PS3 had the potential to sell upwards of 120 million, but it ended up being handicapped by various factors. I never thought Wii U had Wii-like sales potential, purely for the reason that millions of people who've never bought a console in their life bought a Wii, and the likelihood of that segment of the Wii market becoming multi-generation console owners was always pretty low.

The people who will buy a Wii U are: hard out Nintendo fans (25 million); the multi / all console crowd (10 million?); some of the Wii's blue ocean crowd (10 million); and 5 million more for good measure. Anything substantially more than that is gravy for the Wii U. So Nintendo's job really is to bring Wii U to per unit profitability ASAP so they can get the vast majority of Wii U's sold at a profit, not relying on people buying at least one game to turn a profit.

Actually, I think you are grossly overestimating the potential. Sure, there are die hard fans that will buy no matter what junk they shove into the market. But really, minimum 25 million? Absolutely not. That's the total sales for the entire life cycle if you are lucky.

Just wait another year for PS4/Nextbox to hit the market. I believe this is the end of Nintendo as a dominant player in the industry. I believe the abject failure of the Wii U will force the company into restructuring ala Sega. They will keep dominion in the handheld market but they will also eject themselves from mainstream console competition. Don't be surprised if you see Mario and Zelda on PS5.

Don't be surpised if Sony goes bankrupt too, atm they a 50-50 change of going under or recovering.

Netyaroze said:
Netyaroze said:
Netyaroze said:

It wouldn't be funny yet. Nothing came to the rescue since launch so it would be pretty empty right now.  

Nintendo Land, NSMB2, Zombie U, Monster Hunter, Lego City

Definatly more out now than when the Ps3 one started

Most of them are Launchtitles when Wii U didn't need saving.  Or were there Motorstorm and Resistance on the board for PS3 ?

MH3 is a port and Lego City was already released ?? 

I think the first game on the board will eventually be Pikmin. Thats about to be released soon ?

Its the amount of hopes that ride on a certain game (pricecut, peripheral, feature) that makes it a worthy entry for the chalkboard. 

Nobody seriously thought Lego City/MH would save the Wii U ? 

No one was talking up the Ps3's launch line up though. The Wii U's launch line up was one of the best for a console and people were talking about how great the system and games will sell. I mean, the best game the Ps3 had was Resistance which no one knew anything about unlike NSMB and Monster Hunter... which, why are people even talking about Monster Hunter now? It's been launched in the region it would have made the most difference already.

Yeah but now that Wii U tanked despite having a good launch lineup, like PS3 tanked despite being a PS3, what will save it ? Now that the Wii U is clearly in trouble? Wouldn't that ,whatever it is, be the first entry if it fails ? Whats the expectation among Nintendo fans ?

Okay then, Monster Hunter can still be put there because I still see people naming this game because it isn't in the west yet. Along with Rayman because it was suppose to be an exclusive 19 days before it launched and Lego City. So I guess it can use 2 more games first

Agreed, I think that could be put on a list.  

Cobretti2 said:
reggin_bolas said:
binary solo said:
I think 50 million is doable. But considering PS3 doing 55-65% of PS2 is regarded as abject failure by those who like to see the worst in things, especially anything Sony. Wii U doing 50% of Wii should be seen in the same light.

However, potential should be taken into account. PS3 had the potential to sell upwards of 120 million, but it ended up being handicapped by various factors. I never thought Wii U had Wii-like sales potential, purely for the reason that millions of people who've never bought a console in their life bought a Wii, and the likelihood of that segment of the Wii market becoming multi-generation console owners was always pretty low.

The people who will buy a Wii U are: hard out Nintendo fans (25 million); the multi / all console crowd (10 million?); some of the Wii's blue ocean crowd (10 million); and 5 million more for good measure. Anything substantially more than that is gravy for the Wii U. So Nintendo's job really is to bring Wii U to per unit profitability ASAP so they can get the vast majority of Wii U's sold at a profit, not relying on people buying at least one game to turn a profit.

Actually, I think you are grossly overestimating the potential. Sure, there are die hard fans that will buy no matter what junk they shove into the market. But really, minimum 25 million? Absolutely not. That's the total sales for the entire life cycle if you are lucky.

Just wait another year for PS4/Nextbox to hit the market. I believe this is the end of Nintendo as a dominant player in the industry. I believe the abject failure of the Wii U will force the company into restructuring ala Sega. They will keep dominion in the handheld market but they will also eject themselves from mainstream console competition. Don't be surprised if you see Mario and Zelda on PS5.

Don't be surpised if Sony goes bankrupt too, atm they a 50-50 change of going under or recovering.

um... quite the over exageration you got there

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:
leatherhat said:
Mr Khan said:
Nintendo can overcome with some properly-executed expanded-market games. NSMBU was a solid start, but it needs supplemented. The expanded market of Wii Sports/Fit may be lost to tablets, but people looking for the classic Nintendo experience (not the N64/GameCube nintendo experience) still have only one place to turn, and Nintendo has but to answer them.

The expanded market left nintendo years ago, the only market it has left is hardcore nintendo fans. So gamecube sales is about all can do.

We're getting all confused on the matter of Nintendo fans. There are really two camps of Nintendo fans: the NES/SNES types and the N64/GameCube types. The latter does only have about 15 million or so in its ranks. The former is much larger. They are expanded market of the "lapsed gamer" subset, as opposed to the "non-gamer" subset.

The lapsed gamers find nothing appealing in what gaming has become, aside from those who still hold true to the old values (e.g. Nintendo, when they're thinking straight) can get at them.

Aside from the fact that the second subset of the expanded market still exists, albeit in diminished numbers and energy

There's is absolutely no reason to believe that this market exists outside of wishful thinking

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

HAHAHHAHA!!!
ARE YOU SONY FAGS AFRAID

Moderated,

-Mr Khan

The wiiu is in trouble but its no Dreamcast. Nintendo needs new games.
Mario can only sell so much and people will get sick of it
Lets. waite till e3 before we say its done

VITA 32 GIG CARD.250 GIG SLIM & 160 GIG PHAT PS3

Nintendo would never restructure the way Sega did. That's like a knockout Victoria Secret model having to work at a grocery store after getting divorced. No way. She'd have tons of options.

Nintendo could easily form a sweetheart software alliance with Apple or especially Google and Sony/MS would need to change their underwear. There would be many suitors jumping to bring Nintendo onboard and many relationships Nintendo could get into which would allow them to continue to make hardware and control software royalties.

Nintendo would never grovel like some cheap third party throwing their franchises out at every platform. Never. It wouldn't even make financial sense to do that. 

osed125 said:
Captain_Tom said:
osed125 said:
Captain_Tom said:
Psyberius said:
It's not done but it sure as hell isn't healthy. First year jitters are one thing, what is going on right now is another.

Buyers just aren't buyin it. They should have made the WiiU, slapped a cool controller on it, then waited two years to put a tablet on it. Right now people are buying their own tablets and the WiiU just looks complex and ungainly to people who's first console was a simple, fun, easy Wii.

Exactly.  I am not saying that the Wii U is 100% doomed.  However I have never been more sure of a consoles demise until now.  Even with the 3DS and Vita, I said "Just wait, they have options."

Wii U has no viable options that can save it from coming dead last this gen.

You realize that by saying that this is the first time you been so sure of a console demise doesn't make your points more valid.

No it doesn't, but it does mean I am not "One of those people" who always spouts doom.  

So because this is the first console your ever felt is doomed makes your points more valid?

Do you know how to read?