By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Put a fork in the Wii U, it is done. [Sensible discussion only, no flaming]

Mr.Y said:

Flamebait title that then says no flaming.

You then say you recently came to this conclusion and then you go on to list points that have already been made in the past. So you are either slow or you are trolling.

The console is underpowered and third party support will be limited, both of these things also applied to the Wii. The only thing the Wii U needs is software that will appeal to a broad audience.

So it really is too early to tell, it all depends on what games Nintendo releases.

Good luck convincing that audience to spend $50-$60 on one single game ever again. 

The mini-game formula in general I think has run its course, if Nintendo Land was on the Wii like 4 years ago it would have been a monstrous blockbuster hit. 

Today? It's old hat. 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
Mr.Y said:

Flamebait title that then says no flaming.

You then say you recently came to this conclusion and then you go on to list points that have already been made in the past. So you are either slow or you are trolling.

The console is underpowered and third party support will be limited, both of these things also applied to the Wii. The only thing the Wii U needs is software that will appeal to a broad audience.

So it really is too early to tell, it all depends on what games Nintendo releases.

Good luck convincing that audience to spend $50-$60 on one single game ever again. 

The mini-game formula in general I think has run its course, if Nintendo Land was on the Wii like 4 years ago it would have been a monstrous blockbuster hit. 

Today? It's old hat. 

We'll have to wait and see how Nintendo Land 2 does in 2015.

FattiXx^ said:
HAHAHHAHA!!!
ARE YOU SONY FAGS AFRAID

watch out. something like that can get you banned.

OT: Non-belivers will worry  but how does a Mario Kart Wii U holiday 2013 release with a possible bundle sound? Sounds like a smash hit console seller to me. Don't forget about post E3.

NINTENDO

nintendo forever . . .

I thought Michael Pachter had a pretty simple and compelling argument. You mainly make money off of consoles by:

1) Royalties/Licensing fees from third party games.

2) Selling your consoles at a profit

If I remember correctly, Pachter said that the WiiU makes a profit (dunno if he means contribution margin or an average profit including overhead) of $5.

If you also accept that Nintendo has been losing more and more 3rd party support (didn't an Activision executive say something about Nintendo fans being "all talk"?) that limits Nintendo's ability to generate revenue from royalties. On top of that, as the next generation goes on, the WiiU probably will lack the power to receive proper ports of 3rd party games.

So you basically have Nintendo not generating profit from method 1 and 2, and also limiting their ability to maximize revenue from software due to releasing on only 1 platform.

From an opportunity cost perspective, Nintendo is wasting its shareholder's money.

FattiXx^ said:
HAHAHHAHA!!!
ARE YOU SONY FAGS AFRAID

I agree with what this intelligent gentleman has to say.

Around the Network
brendude13 said:
FattiXx^ said:
HAHAHHAHA!!!
ARE YOU SONY FAGS AFRAID

I agree with what this intelligent gentleman has to say.

yeah, he presents a very compelling argument

I can't blame Nintendo fans for defending their console, I would do the same thing. But things are definitely not looking good for the Wii U right now. Nintendo simply hasn't provided a reason for buying one when the PS4 and the next xbox are around the corner. It looks like it's already lost third party support. And why would anyone want to play a third party game on a Wii U anyway? It will most likely look and run better on the other next gen consoles.

Captain_Tom said:
osed125 said:
Captain_Tom said:
osed125 said:
Captain_Tom said:
Psyberius said:
It's not done but it sure as hell isn't healthy. First year jitters are one thing, what is going on right now is another.

Buyers just aren't buyin it. They should have made the WiiU, slapped a cool controller on it, then waited two years to put a tablet on it. Right now people are buying their own tablets and the WiiU just looks complex and ungainly to people who's first console was a simple, fun, easy Wii.

Exactly.  I am not saying that the Wii U is 100% doomed.  However I have never been more sure of a consoles demise until now.  Even with the 3DS and Vita, I said "Just wait, they have options."

Wii U has no viable options that can save it from coming dead last this gen.

You realize that by saying that this is the first time you been so sure of a console demise doesn't make your points more valid.

No it doesn't, but it does mean I am not "One of those people" who always spouts doom.  

So because this is the first console your ever felt is doomed makes your points more valid?

Do you know how to read?

Yes, but your OP obviously makes it sound like a fact, which clearly isn't. And it's obvious that because this is the first console you ever felt is doomed makes you feel like you are right, which clearly isn't.

Nintendo and PC gamer

I'm just going to quote myself from another topic here:

''And then there's one MAJOR dissadvantage from what i fear will become a huge problem for the Wii-U: It's CPU architecture. Both PS4 and the next xbox will use the X86, and so does the PC on wich every game is developed basically. This means that once PS3 en X360 are going to start losing developer support Wii-U will be the only major system using IBM Power-PC architecture. Now tell me, how many developers do you think will bother to invest alot of time and money to port their games to a completely new architecture, having to downscale and reoptimize everything in the process because Wii-U is far less powerfull, just to port that game to one system with a mediocre install base? And also knowing that most of they're previous games didn't sell well on it's predecessors?The Wii-U will(and already is) losing developer support faster than it is gaining any. And looking at it's game release schedule it doesn't have much support to lose anymore.''

So in my opinion there's little hope the Wii-U will ever have a large amount of major games release for it, except for Nintendo's franchises. Now i would consider buying one for those Nintendo titles alone, but only for $100-$150 and as an extra system aside a PS4 or new Xbox.(and only after those titles are released).

Nintendo needs to take a step back from trying to innovate to much on the hardware and controll front and get back at creating great new games. We haven't seen a new big Nintendo franchise/universe in 15 years.

AnthonyW86 said:

I'm just going to quote myself from another topic here:

''And then there's one MAJOR dissadvantage from what i fear will become a huge problem for the Wii-U: It's CPU architecture. Both PS4 and the next xbox will use the X86, and so does the PC on wich every game is developed basically. This means that once PS3 en X360 are going to start losing developer support Wii-U will be the only major system using IBM Power-PC architecture. Now tell me, how many developers do you think will bother to invest alot of time and money to port their games to a completely new architecture, having to downscale and reoptimize everything in the process because Wii-U is far less powerfull, just to port that game to one system with a mediocre install base? And also knowing that most of they're previous games didn't sell well on it's predecessors?The Wii-U will(and already is) losing developer support faster than it is gaining any. And looking at it's game release schedule it doesn't have much support to lose anymore.''

So in my opinion there's little hope the Wii-U will ever have a large amount of major games release for it, except for Nintendo's franchises. Now i would consider buying one for those Nintendo titles alone, but only for $100-$150 and as an extra system aside a PS4 or new Xbox.(and only after those titles are released).

Nintendo needs to take a step back from trying to innovate to much on the hardware and controll front and get back at creating great new games. We haven't seen a new big Nintendo franchise/universe in 15 years.

Pikmin, which would be 12 years.

They seem to be cultivating the Xenoblade 'verse as well, though no-one's especially sure what X is exactly.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.