By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Poll - The primary reason for WiiU's lackluster sales is.....

The primary reason WiiU's sales are lackluster is..

Lack of Gamez - once Nint... 259 46.84%

Over-Priced - the deluxe ... 19 3.44%

Under-Powered - Nintendo ... 83 15.01%

Gamepad - No one wants to... 40 7.23%

Lack of Focus - Too core ... 50 9.04%

Lack of Marketing - You m... 56 10.13%

iOS/Android/Steam are kil... 9 1.63%

I don't know - let me see the resultz 37 6.69%

Total:553
NightDragon83 said:
You need to edit your poll to include an option for "all of the above" with the exception of the iOS/Android/Steam one... that has no effect on console sales,especially those of Nintendo.

I think iOS/Android have had a massive impact on Nintendo in general. 

The whole "mini-game" concept has moved away from consoles and casuals are now getting what they want from a gaming "fix" (which is generally like 15-20 minutes of play time a day) from iOS and Android titles like Angry Birds, Plants Vs. Zombies, Farmville, etc. 

The difference is they don't have to spend $350 to do that, they can spend $1-$5 and it keeps them entertained as much as a Nintendo Land mini-game would. 

4-5 years ago IMO Nintendo Land would've sold 10-20 million copies, a mini-game compilation using Miis + Nintendo theme park attractions? Are you kidding me? This would've sold through the roof in the Wii's prime, even if some of the attractions had to be reworked to function around the Wiimote only. 

Today it can barely sell at all, and I do think tablets and smartphones are a big reason why, that's where all the casual audience went. Home consoles were never really the ideal format for this audience anyway. They don't care about graphics or deep experiences, they just want something to occupy thier time now and again and is easy to play. 

I have several "casual demographic" friends that were crazy about Wii Sports 5-6 years ago, but have zero interest in the Wii U, but they still play games because I see them on their iPhone or iPad playing once in a while. 

Around the Network
Euphoria14 said:
snyps said:
Euphoria14 said:
snyps said:

I think ppl just don't know what they are missing. I watch movies while i'm doing dishes now. Streamed from my pc.

People have been able to do that long before the WiiU. They have tablets. Before that people had a TV in the dining room or wherever they eat, which is usually right next to the kitchen. Watching tv while doing household chores like dishes is nothing new or exclusive to the WiiU.

OT: I voted the game pad.

Excuse me, I stream my movies FROM MY PC to my gamepad, positioned in back of my sink..  How exactly do you do that with a tablet or a tv again?

I take it you don't have a tablet? (Serious question)

There are a plethora of applications that allow you to stream from your PC client to your iOS and/or Android smartphone or tablet.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/the-top-free-ways-to-stream-video-from-your-computer-to-your-mobile-or-tablet/

I have been doing this for years.

This article from PCWorld illustrates how you could stream from your PC to your iPad and this is back in 2011. So like I said, it is nothing new and it isn't exclusive to WiiU.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/196415/iPad_Secrets.html

A simple google search would have shown you.

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=stream+from+pc+to+tablet&oq=stream+from+pc+to+ta&gs_l=hp.3.0.0j0i22i30l3.645.3562.0.4765.20.14.0.5.5.0.537.2552.2j9j2j5-1.14.0...0.0...1c.1.7.psy-ab.1ISfhYAGXOo&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.44158598,d.dmg&fp=7192259e97f70513&biw=1280&bih=681

my thanks and appologies. reminds me of the lady that didnt know what an elephant was until she saw one steal her cabbage a circus train tipped over and an elephant escaped. it wandered to an old ladies house and began to, one by one, wrap its trunk around a cabbage and put it in his mouth. The old lady called the sherrif and said (long story short) theres a monster! its wrapping its tail around my cabbage and putting them in his ....

whether or not we know what we're talking about, we see things from our own perspective.

I chose the Gamepad. I can't speak for everyone though, and I know it appeals to some. I just find it to be a really hideous device. It looks awkward to use (though I haven't actually tried it; I should, because I work at a Target with a WiiU display...), and it doesn't look like it would bring anything different to the table than the DS/3DS. Between the two, I'd much rather get the handheld, because those come with the main Pokemon games.

Of the other reasons, games and price would be the two biggest factors I'd imagine contribute to the low sales, based completely on anecdotal evidence;

- Price: The store I work at hasn't received new WiiU consoles since launch. We've had the same ~15 Deluxe and ~10 Basic models in the back for months now, plus the two on display on the sales floor. Meanwhile, this Target also sells a black Wii bundle with Wii Sports Resort which sells fairly fast (~$130), and a blue Wii Skylanders bundle (~$150) which only sells when it's on sale (~$120).

- Games: There is only one four foot section devoted to WiiU games, compared to a full four for the Wii, four and a half for PS3, five for 360, four for DS/3DS, and one and a half for Vita. Obviously all of these systems have been out longer, but to the average mom shopping at Target, I'd imagine that a system with more available games (and a lower cost, in the case of the Wii) is more appealing.

snyps said:
Euphoria14 said:
snyps said:
Euphoria14 said:
snyps said:

I think ppl just don't know what they are missing. I watch movies while i'm doing dishes now. Streamed from my pc.

People have been able to do that long before the WiiU. They have tablets. Before that people had a TV in the dining room or wherever they eat, which is usually right next to the kitchen. Watching tv while doing household chores like dishes is nothing new or exclusive to the WiiU.

OT: I voted the game pad.

Excuse me, I stream my movies FROM MY PC to my gamepad, positioned in back of my sink..  How exactly do you do that with a tablet or a tv again?

I take it you don't have a tablet? (Serious question)

There are a plethora of applications that allow you to stream from your PC client to your iOS and/or Android smartphone or tablet.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/the-top-free-ways-to-stream-video-from-your-computer-to-your-mobile-or-tablet/

I have been doing this for years.

This article from PCWorld illustrates how you could stream from your PC to your iPad and this is back in 2011. So like I said, it is nothing new and it isn't exclusive to WiiU.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/196415/iPad_Secrets.html

A simple google search would have shown you.

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=stream+from+pc+to+tablet&oq=stream+from+pc+to+ta&gs_l=hp.3.0.0j0i22i30l3.645.3562.0.4765.20.14.0.5.5.0.537.2552.2j9j2j5-1.14.0...0.0...1c.1.7.psy-ab.1ISfhYAGXOo&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.44158598,d.dmg&fp=7192259e97f70513&biw=1280&bih=681

my thanks and appologies. reminds me of the lady that didnt know what an elephant was until she saw one steal her cabbage a circus train tipped over and an elephant escaped. it wandered to an old ladies house and began to, one by one, wrap its trunk around a cabbage and put it in his mouth. The old lady called the sherrif and said (long story short) theres a monster! its wrapping its tail around my cabbage and putting them in his ....

whether or not we know what we're talking about, we see things from our own perspective.

No problem.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

It has no games, I also
find it ironic that Core Gamers think Nintendo should cater to them, when they haven't been supporting Nintendo for 3 generations.

Around the Network

The lack of Nintendo games and the price. Anybody will spend $350 just for New Super Mario Bros.U

I have a question: where can i find the top 250 of the best games of all time of this site?

The games. Nobody want's a PS4 with Barney the freakin' dinosaur do they!? Just wait for Nintendo's games and they'll show 3rd parties what can be done on their console, a lightbuld will go off and Wii U will sell but that's only if Nintendo takes the necessary steps to ensuring its success. Price cuts will probably take place, better advertising, along with better games will sell the Wii U. Just U wait. I kinda don't like the name though, yet I use U all the time when talking about the Wii U.

Gamerace said:
Not surprisingly the majority think it's needs more games and to a large extend this goes without saying.

For those of you voting 'lack of gamez' what games do you think will improve WiiU's fortunes beyond those of Gamecubes and why?

i don't know. What I know is that gamers don't care about games, but about what seems to be cool, buying things sensationalist and fanboy revierws tell them to buy. 

That is my personal impression. I buy a Wii, having an excelent time. Yes, I missed some great games on other consoles, but the rate of big games on Wii compared to the others is around the same or better. The pile of mediocre games they have is the same as the pile of shovelware Wii had. But people think all mature games are cool, supporting the statement in the first paragraph.

Example, everybody wants Nintendo to go software, why? if they say Nintendo is shitty? I don't see the reasoning there. Gamers hating Capcom because Monster Hunter is not on their prefered console. Gamers bashing Lego City because it is not in their prefered console. 

So, at the end, it is not Nintendo's fauld, but the industry driving consumers toward unnecessary and expensive trends. Games with micrsotransactions, DLC and a bunch of patches. People like to pay $80 for a game. How many times have you seen Nintendo releasing half a game to patch it or unlock DLC from the disc? A patch can happens, but it is not a trend on Nintendo's games. 

People can play whatever console they want, that is OK. What it is not OK is to missinform people and gamers that Nintendo is garbagge. More garbag are Sony lying around everytime, and Microsoft online and third parties devs policies. 

The gamecube had a great selection of games and didn't sell well.

Definitely going to have to go with not enough gimmicks to appeal to casuals and too late into the graphics war for the hardcore gamers.

It's just that simple.

MonstaMack said:
The gamecube had a great selection of games and didn't sell well.

Definitely going to have to go with not enough gimmicks to appeal to casuals and too late into the graphics war for the hardcore gamers.

gamecube competed with ps2, the usher of dvd.