By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - EDGE 'always on, always connected' Durango SDK leak is real

Mr Puggsly said:
AbbathTheGrim said:

Seems like in the end Micro realized that Blu-ray isn't as unnecessary as they said years back, if the rumors are true.

Bluray was unncessary for the 7th gen. Especially for the price. Not a single PS3 game demonstrated we needed Bluray.

The Bluray hardware is cheap now and next gen games will require more space. Seems like a no brainer now.

Metal Gear Solid 4:

It was announced that Guns of the Patriots is the first PlayStation 3 game that uses a 50GB dual layer Blu-ray Disc[18] even with the use of file compression.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Gear_Solid_4#Development

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

Around the Network

Wow, people are making a lot of presumptions from this news.

To me, this just sounds like sleep mode.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
AbbathTheGrim said:

Seems like in the end Micro realized that Blu-ray isn't as unnecessary as they said years back, if the rumors are true.

Bluray was unncessary for the 7th gen. Especially for the price. Not a single PS3 game demonstrated we needed Bluray.

The Bluray hardware is cheap now and next gen games will require more space. Seems like a no brainer now.

I think a big thing for having blu ray is that it's a gateway's into families living room. For instance my dad doesn't play games (he buys some for get togethers for kids), but he wanted a blu-ray player/Media thing that would have good support because blu-rays firmware needs to be updated.

Having that then gets the console centered in peoples living room, and they can run netflix through the xbox, rent movies, and then maybe a few games.

Otakumegane said:
D-Joe said:

...It said "during gameplay, games will not use content from optical disc."

It just like 360,but require install this time,when disc checking become part of gameplay?

When optical disc gameplay is not supported, that's saying something. 

The signs are there that most likely the nextbox will block used.

How is that means block used games?it just mean the disc won't load when gameplay(after install finished),but disc checking is not even part of gameplay

It doesn't even talk about used games in the XDK.

Well, this doesn't tell us that a connection will be required to play, nor that they will block used games.

Though I don't see a reason to have mandatory installs unless they are indeed trying to block used games, why would they do that otherwise?

I personally don't think they'll require you to be connected to play. I think they want to have a box that does everything immediately and without waiting, much like the PS4 really.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

Around the Network

So at least 1 thing is confirmed. The always online bit.

Wonder when they'll confirm the 2nd part.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

Boy do people sure jump to conclusions over very little info. As some have stated this sounds like a low power mode that allows the gamer to quickly wake the console up when not I use. When I think about such a mode I think about my IPad. I touch the screen and its ready to go. Games I left playing are ready to be played at the point I left them so no waiting for them to load. Having games installed on the HDD ready to be played at the point I left them sounds like a smart design.

I also would not mind if MS did a steam or Blizzard type of system where as long as a game is installed on my console and tied to my account I do not have to have the disk in the drive. I can switch between games I play without loading. It would be good if you uninstall the game and unactivate the game you could resell or give the game away. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

For people who are thinking there isn't some type of DRM tied to the PS4, them you best keep up to date. The jury is still out on that one and from statements made by Sony execs, there will be something you will have to do to play used games besides putting the disk in your console.

AbbathTheGrim said:
Mr Puggsly said:
AbbathTheGrim said:

Metal Gear Solid 4:

It was announced that Guns of the Patriots is the first PlayStation 3 game that uses a 50GB dual layer Blu-ray Disc[18] even with the use of file compression.

Yes, I recall that statement/lie. Strange that games improved yet didn't require more than 50GB of space.

I guess that shows compression has come a long way this gen.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Troll_Whisperer said:
Well, this doesn't tell us that a connection will be required to play, nor that they will block used games.

Though I don't see a reason to have mandatory installs unless they are indeed trying to block used games, why would they do that otherwise?

I personally don't think they'll require you to be connected to play. I think they want to have a box that does everything immediately and without waiting, much like the PS4 really.

I personally do not see why the game needs to be install to block used game sells?  This can easily be done by locking the game to your XBL account.  It would be no different then how steam or blizzard ties a game to your user profile.  A full install of the game is not needed for DRM.  It could be that making the game only run from the HDD makes it easy for optimization for the APIs.  Optical disk stream data at inconsistent speed.  Keeping everything standard improves system support and reduces overhead.

Mr Puggsly said:
AbbathTheGrim said:
Mr Puggsly said:
AbbathTheGrim said:

Metal Gear Solid 4:

Yes, I recall that statement/lie. Strange that games improved yet didn't require more than 50GB of space.

I guess that shows compression has come a long way this gen.

What lie? It took that space within the disc.

God of War 3 used 35GB, 40 European version:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/235873/god-of-war-3-tops-40gb-of-blu-ray/

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1