By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - EDGE 'always on, always connected' Durango SDK leak is real

Otakumegane said:
So at least 1 thing is confirmed. The always online bit.

Wonder when they'll confirm the 2nd part.

If you talk about require online,nope,this XDK never confirmed,it just said it will about update games/OS/apps even in low power mode,when you online.

Around the Network

Microsoft can't be that stupid? Windows 8 clearly shows that they are just plain out of their mind. Windows RT confirms they are not even trying anymore. I expect the same pattern from XBox 3.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

ishiki said:
Mr Puggsly said:
AbbathTheGrim said:

Seems like in the end Micro realized that Blu-ray isn't as unnecessary as they said years back, if the rumors are true.

Bluray was unncessary for the 7th gen. Especially for the price. Not a single PS3 game demonstrated we needed Bluray.

The Bluray hardware is cheap now and next gen games will require more space. Seems like a no brainer now.

I think a big thing for having blu ray is that it's a gateway's into families living room. For instance my dad doesn't play games (he buys some for get togethers for kids), but he wanted a blu-ray player/Media thing that would have good support because blu-rays firmware needs to be updated.

Having that then gets the console centered in peoples living room, and they can run netflix through the xbox, rent movies, and then maybe a few games.

I think the Xbox has alread did a pretty good job at finding its way into living rooms.

I got ya though. A Bluray player is another reason to get people gathered around the console. MS might as well use it now since its cheap and will provide plenty of space for next gen games.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

AbbathTheGrim said:
Mr Puggsly said:
AbbathTheGrim said:
Mr Puggsly said:
AbbathTheGrim said:

Seems like in the end Micro realized that Blu-ray isn't as unnecessary as they said years back, if the rumors are true.

Bluray was unncessary for the 7th gen. Especially for the price. Not a single PS3 game demonstrated we needed Bluray.

The Bluray hardware is cheap now and next gen games will require more space. Seems like a no brainer now.

Metal Gear Solid 4:

It was announced that Guns of the Patriots is the first PlayStation 3 game that uses a 50GB dual layer Blu-ray Disc[18] even with the use of file compression.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Gear_Solid_4#Development

Yes, I recall that statement/lie. Strange that games improved yet didn't require more than 50GB of space.

I guess that shows compression has come a long way this gen.

What lie? It took that space within the disc.

God of War 3 used 35GB, 40 European version:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/235873/god-of-war-3-tops-40gb-of-blu-ray/

I hear ya, but using a lot of space on a Bluray is not convincing me Bluray was essential.

Especially when you take into consideration PS3 games often use more space than their 360 counterpart. MG:R is 25GB on the PS3, but fits on a single DVD on the 360. Or Street Fighter 4. About 20GB on the PS3, but only 6GB on the Xbox.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
ishiki said:
Mr Puggsly said:
AbbathTheGrim said:

I think a big thing for having blu ray is that it's a gateway's into families living room. For instance my dad doesn't play games (he buys some for get togethers for kids), but he wanted a blu-ray player/Media thing that would have good support because blu-rays firmware needs to be updated.

Having that then gets the console centered in peoples living room, and they can run netflix through the xbox, rent movies, and then maybe a few games.

I think the Xbox has alread did a pretty good job at finding its way into living rooms.

I got ya though. A Bluray player is another reason to get people gathered around the console. MS might as well use it now since its cheap and will provide plenty of space for next gen games.

Impossible because according to Micro:

"Blu-ray is going to be passed by as a format," predicted UK Xbox 360 chief Stephen McGill while speaking to Xbox360Achievements.

"People have moved through from DVDs to digital downloads and digital streaming, so we offer full HD 1080p Blu-ray quality streaming instantly, no download, no delay," he added. "So, who needs Blu-ray?"

Blu-ray is and will be unnecessary according to Microsoft.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

Around the Network
AbbathTheGrim said:
Mr Puggsly said:
ishiki said:
Mr Puggsly said:
AbbathTheGrim said:

"Blu-ray is going to be passed by as a format," predicted UK Xbox 360 chief Stephen McGill while speaking to Xbox360Achievements.

"People have moved through from DVDs to digital downloads and digital streaming, so we offer full HD 1080p Blu-ray quality streaming instantly, no download, no delay," he added. "So, who needs Blu-ray?"

This quote is obviously in regards to movies and I agree. A lot of people don't buy movies anymore, sales are down. While getting movies digitally is growing.

It seems to me the primary reasons they're going with Bluray is for storage and the hardware is cheap. Bluray movies is a bonus.

Recently Completed

AbbathTheGrim said:
Mr Puggsly said:
ishiki said:
Mr Puggsly said:
AbbathTheGrim said:

that's like saying Gaming physical media is going to be passed as a format totally. Since games take less data than 1080p blu-ray. Movie Sales in General are down thanks to Netflix. But like people that like gaming physical media there's people that like physical media, have bandwidth limit, have slow internet etc.

That leads me to believe that either this whole report is false. Their would be no reason to have blu-ray format and not just do something proprietary like nintendo did so you don't have to pay royalties.
Or that the UK 360 chief, doesn't share the same opinion as other people within microsoft.

I wouldn't buy the 720 even if it was half the price of the ps4 buuuuuut!! I really dont see what the issue is with this announcement :/ why does it even matter if it has to be connected all the time? If I didnt have an internet connection I wouldnt buy a console in the first place.

IT'S OVER! Good bye Microsoft.

think-man said:
I wouldn't buy the 720 even if it was half the price of the ps4 buuuuuut!! I really dont see what the issue is with this announcement :/ why does it even matter if it has to be connected all the time? If I didnt have an internet connection I wouldnt buy a console in the first place.

There are still some people who don't get connected all that well. In some playes, Internet is only available at very low speeds, like 64 kbit/s. I for myself can connect only using the mobile network, which gives me about 5 Mbit/s, but the response time is really bad. It should improve with LTE, but one prolbem remains: I have limited Data. Only 5 GB a month, after that, the speed goes down significantly. And I'm not planning to waste that volume to some game consoles, that's why I prefer them to operate offline. 

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.