By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Some Japanese Dev claims SSBB is unfit for Wii

RolStoppable said:

Some Austrian guy has doubts about the Wii

Your new avatar actually fits that thread better

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network

It's pretty obvious the Wii is in a totally new market, why else are PS3+360 currently steaming toward a combined 180 million userbase in 5 years.

Just to point this out, this person is clearly talking exclusively about the Japanese market, and there really is some concern about hardcore games on the Wii in Japan.

Galaxy did fine, but significantly less well than in America/EU, for example. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Does this guy not realise that no other company but nintendo would have the characters to support a game like this? you could have master chief or jak and daxter, but with all respect to those guys the game doesn't work without that nintendo characters charm

It would not have been better on 360 or Ps3? Why you may ask? Because then it wouldn't have been made by Nintendo, and the quality and mascot recognition would be nowhere near it. The premise of Smash is the NINTENDO all stars come together and battle.  To put it on 360 or PS3 would not be the same.

Never argue with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Brawl FC: 0473-7449-8088

Around the Network

The game is made by Nintendo and has Mario in it, the sky's the limit on sales. People buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games, and everything else is just a bonus.

Bodhesatva said:

Just to point this out, this person is clearly talking exclusively about the Japanese market, and there really is some concern about hardcore games on the Wii in Japan.

Galaxy did fine, but significantly less well than in America/EU, for example.

Yeah, but in a couple of months SMG outsold SMS LTD in Japan.

Plus, there wasn't a single worth "hardcore" game with high production level made by third party on Wii last year ( for Japan ) so we don't know if there is or not a problem there.

I mean the best we get ( about a sale stand-point not quality wise ) was a Dragon Quest spin-off aimed to casual and fan of the serie that sold about half million in Japan alone.  

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.

I love it.  Nintendo just keeps getting hit on both sides.  During the Gamecube era the xbox and PS fanboys claimed that this game was for kids due to no blood and the pokeman/mario/ect. characters.  This game was also largely ignored on the fighter market as not a hardcore fighter like Soul Caliber/Tekkan/Virtual Fighter/Dead or Alive. 

Now, a game that will sell 4 million copies worldwide without trying, is hardcore and would sell much better on PS3 or Xbox360?  NOTHING is selling in Japan right now on Wii, PS3, or Xbox 360.  The PS2 had a userbase of 20 million.  The DS has over a 20 million base in Japan.  The Wii is the true successor to the PS2, but don't expect easy million sellers until it at least gets to the 10-15 million range in Japan.  Although, this game will surely be a million seller in the region. 

Q: How many Microsoft engineers does it take to change a light bulb?
A: None. Bill Gates will just redefine Darkness as the new industry standard.

The different market thing that he mentions is already visable to me. just looking at EA Sports sims sales for Wii and other systems. FIFA08 sold better on PS2 (thought this is expected), 360, PS3 and the PSP. It still sold well mind you...now Tiger Woods golf on the other hand sold better on the Wii then the others.

I guess we'll have to see with SSBB. I understand his point though.

Hmm, pie.