By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Some Japanese Dev claims SSBB is unfit for Wii

http://news.filefront.com/jc-barnett-claims-super-smash-brothers-brawl-is-unfit-for-the-wii/

The Article

Lately, we have heard only good things about Super Smash Brothers Brawl, but now a Japanese game developer who uses the alias “JC Barnett” has expressed concern for the new Nintendo Wii title. Surprisingly, I basically agree with his opinions of Super Smash Brothers Brawl and the Nintendo Wii. He believes that this game will confirm the fact that the Wii is not appealing to hard-core gamers and that future developers need to stick to casual games for the system. He also mentions that he believes that the Wii may not even be part of the current console war. I have believed that for a while, but it’s not a very popular opinion to have these days. I have always felt like the Wii had a different market than the Xbox 360 and PS3, but somehow people find that hard to believe. For whatever reason, fanboys tend to get all bent out of shape when you mention that the Wii is a “casual” system. I’m not sure why because it really is a casual gaming option.

Is the Wii the wrong system for a game such as Super Smash Brothers Brawl? I’d have to say with certainty that it probably would have been better on the Sony PS3 or Xbox 360. Considering it’s only on the Wii, it will probably sell really well though, at least for a while. I hope you fanboys out there don’t try to go off on me for this opinion. There’s nothing wrong with the Nintendo Wii, but it’s certainly just a different kind of system than what you get with the 360 and PS3.

Here’s what he had to say:

As a spurious prediction I’d say we may see a promising start with the usual drop-off over the next few months and sales figures that would make anyone proud but that are still lower than expected, a bit like Super Mario Galaxy. If Sumabura [Super Smash Bros. Brawl] doesn’t sell that well it would be proof positive that the Wii isn’t a hard-core friendly platform. I suspect already that it isn’t, but a title like this could prove it once and for all.

This also means the Wii is out of the “console war”. It has its own market distinctly different from its competitors, whom must fight amongst themselves for their own top spot. Both Microsoft and Sony are making wooing noises to the casual market but they’ll have a hard time stealing customers from the big N.

So any publisher looking to make money on the Wii must squarely look at casual and avoid hard-core at all costs.

Via VGM

My Comments

Oh so much ranting on such a non article - as SSBM sold so well on the GC and we know that the Wii has been selling to a new demographic, top this off with the fact that the Wii still hasn't sold as many units as the Gc did then there's still a lot of Gc owners out there that hasn't purchased a Wii yet.  I see SSBB, Wii Mario Kart, Animal Crossing and (whenever it gets announced) Pikmin 3 as all having massive parts to play in that respect.  For this reason alone I fully believe that most people that see SSBB as a system seller will be more "hardcore" gamers if you like.  Even if it doesn't sell - we all know us who are looking forward to it will love it.

The unknown Japanese Developer uses SMG sales as an example to bad sales - "IT'S NOT SELLING BADLY", this to me is an example of someone who reads an Internet article and goes off half cocked without any research to back up their claims. 

Anyways the fact the dev felt they had to remain silent proves they know it's a stupid point of view or truly demonstrates how much power the Wii and it's Internet publicity can hold.

Around the Network

Well that just sounds made up by said guy just to prove his point.

JC Barnett? That's the fake name a japanese guy came up with?   Spurious?  Super Mario Galaxy being a failure in sails?

Wha?  How many games have sold better than galaxy?

I think anybody outta hold their tongue until we see some sales for a couple weeks at least.

A) Smash is a proven seller
B) This Smash is looking to be the best ever, it will be critically and fan praised
C) Smash Bros is a bunch of Nintendo characters...it's all about the nostalgia and fan service. You could make a similar game on PS3 or 360 with other random characters, but I really doubt it'd have as big of a fanbase as Nintendo's...so there' really no other place for this game.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Ha, wait there actually is a full article on this... using No More Heroes as an example...

http://japanmanship.blogspot.com/2008/01/sumabura-proof-pie.html

I'm not believing this guy is really a gamedeveloper... or if he is... not a very obserant one.

What evidence does he have to back up his claim that Brawl is unfit for Wii and that Wii owners won't buy it? The millions upon millions of preorders? The worries of actual SHORTAGES??? I've never in my life heard of shortages for a game--a console, yes, but not a game.

This guy just wants to get some recognition.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
Around the Network

This is a pretty bad article that this person wrote. This game will sell well on whatever system it would be on, period. My only complaint about it being on the Wii is that the Wiimote isn't suited for this game, but you can play with the GC controller, so that isn't a big deal. Still sucks if you don't have any GC controllers though.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Kasz216 said:
Well that just sounds made up by said guy just to prove his point.

JC Barnett? That's the fake name a japanese guy came up with?

JC Barnett definitely doesn't sound Japanese at all...

EDIT:
Removed most of the stuffs since I thought some parts of the article were from the original poster...

I'm an ALIEN!!!! - officially identified as by Konnichiwa

Of course... My English is still... horrible - appreciation and thanks to FJ-Warez  

Brawl FC: 0301-9911-8154

akuma587 said:
This is a pretty bad article that this person wrote. This game will sell well on whatever system it would be on, period. My only complaint about it being on the Wii is that the Wiimote isn't suited for this game, but you can play with the GC controller, so that isn't a big deal. Still sucks if you don't have any GC controllers though.

Wiimote + nunchuck is very well suited for this game...and most Wii users will have nunchucks.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

That's a stealth "Wii Bingo" article. There's so much wrong that it's not even worth going into.

Kasz216 said:
Ha, wait there actually is a full article on this... using No More Heroes as an example...

http://japanmanship.blogspot.com/2008/01/sumabura-proof-pie.html

I'm not believing this guy is really a gamedeveloper... or if he is... not a very obserant one.
Man that article and those comments are just unbelievable - thing is as one person put it the Wii is gathering momentum.  Since it's launch people have fell into 2 camps love it or hate it and this is gonna be the latest argument why it'll fail.I just love a game written by Nintendo as a sequel to a massive previous succeess on a platform by his own admission Nintendo knows how to cater for isn't suitable.  Astounds me how manyh people are telling Nintendo what they're doing wrong.  Lets just see how many devs are ignoring the Wii when it hits 50m userbase and the likes of Capcom have figured what people do want to play.