By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Some Japanese Dev claims SSBB is unfit for Wii

I love how these 'hardcore' gamers can't accept that their box of choice is losing to the Wii in the marketplace, so they decide that it exists in some seperate magical marketplace of its own making while the 'real' consoles are free to duke it out for supremacy.

Seems to be the fashion of the 21st century. If reality doesn't suit your preconceived notions, just redefine the terms of reality so things fit again. So the Wii isn't winning the console war, the real war is between PS3 and 360 for the HD console war. Pay no attention to that device that's making all the money.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network

He's flamebaiting to generate page hits, the idea that SSBB won't sell well becuase its on the Wii is a load of crock, the game is deeper than its predecessor, and has a multitude of control options, not only that but the game and system are affordable, there is no reason for fans of the GCN game not to pick this one up

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

i'm just amazed that over a year the Wii has been released that some people are only beginning to rephrase what Iwata said like 2, 3 years ago... and still getting it wrong.

maybe that's why only big N makes so much dough. third party people aren't making money on the wii because they just aren't as smart as people at the big N.

the Wii is an epidemic.

Lingyis said:
i'm just amazed that over a year the Wii has been released that some people are only beginning to rephrase what Iwata said like 2, 3 years ago... and still getting it wrong.

maybe that's why only big N makes so much dough. third party people aren't making money on the wii because they just aren't as smart as people at the big N.

Yea... the comments to that article don't seem to be that bright either.

Most of them seem to want to depreciate the Wii in one way or another.

I'm an ALIEN!!!! - officially identified as by Konnichiwa

Of course... My English is still... horrible - appreciation and thanks to FJ-Warez  

Brawl FC: 0301-9911-8154

I think I just lost some brain cells by reading that bulls**t. For one do these people ever get out of the cave they're living in? Secondly they failed on the first example game (new record) how the hell is SMG NOT Selling Well?!? And finally if you have a big conformation that the wii is for caules only why do it in a alias? Come out and say it without hiding.

Around the Network

This guy must be on dope or its written by some fanbot, the article is horrible written and completely lack of any logical proof at all. If I remember correctly, even PS3 loyal Kojima back around last year june states his opinion that the game can already shipped back then and able to sell millions. This game must be very well crafted for someone only into producing top quality graphic game to praise it that high.

I would expect Brawl to do at least a 1:3.3 attach rate based on the 1:3.3 attach rate of GC to SSBM. That would be about 6.6m give or take, depending upon total Wii sales for the March release date. That's over a period of 12 weeks, possibly longer, allowing for additional sales in keeping with rate of sales for Wii consoles (which in an additional 12 weeks would be closer to 7.6m if the attach rate stays consistent).

That doesn't account for the inevitable spike in console sales in late Feb/early Mar. Those numbers for Brawl should be higher if rate of console sales picks up earlier in February.

I don't see the attach rate being higher than GC to SSBM (if anything, it should be slightly lower due to the casual gamers who are only buying Wii Play/Sports and the occasional casual game) since SSBM was one of the most popular games available on the GC. How many people bought a GC was irrelevant.

I would expect to see sales around 1.2m in the first week or better due to the wider appeal of Brawl. Not everybody who has a Wii buys every Mario game released, even SMG, which currently has a lower attach rate than GC to SMS.

Brawl should do better than SMG upon release and overall.

Anyone have any data on pre-orders? I'm not even taking those into account so first week sales could be even higher.

I'm still trying to figure out what the point of this is. Even if he were right and Brawl would do better on the PS3/360 (which I actually disagree with completely) its not as if it would ever come to those consoles...Nintendo would never put the newest game in one of its biggest franchises on a competitors box.

So the only reason I can see is to try and create a situation where he can say "see I told you so" later. Which makes sense since there was no numerical prediction. He just says "The sales will be good but not as good as they could be.". Which of course doesn't say anything since no matter how well it sells he will just say that it would have done better on the 360 or PS3.

He made a prediction he can't lose because nobody can ever prove him wrong. Even if Brawl sells 40m on the Wii and shatters records he can always say "Well it would have done better on the PS3 and 360. The only way for him to be provably wrong is if the sales of Brawl are higher than the PS3 + 360...but even then he can just say the sales of those consoles were lowered because they didn't have the game etc...

Basically folks, he sees that this game is going to be huge and in preperation for defending his argument he has set up a goal line that he can keep moving back so that he never has to admit he was wrong.

PS - As far as the supposed developer comments are concerned, if he had conviction in his comments he would attach his name to them so that he could reap the benefits down the line. The only reason to hide the name is to hedge bets...or the more likely scenario here is that there is no dev and he is just lying to support his horribly flawed arguments.

To Each Man, Responsibility
RolStoppable said:

Some Austrian guy has doubts about the Wii

Oh btw, you win the thread~

.....both of them

To Each Man, Responsibility

Where's FishyJoe? His sig should cover this thread quite well.