By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii U external hard drive required to download Lego City Undercover, Nintendo says

wvelting said:
Otakumegane said:
Well.

Nintendo why you make so many bad decisions.

Will someone please explain why Nintendo keeps getting picked on for this.  MS makes a 4GB 360 and Sony makes a 12GB PS3, both of which would have to be upgraded to download a game like this.  Nintendo decided to let people use external HD's instead for expanded storage which workes just fine and is far cheaper than a hard drive pgrade for the 360 and for the most part no more than an upgrade for the PS3.  So...what's your problem with it?

Most people don't download full games anyways.  Why should everyone have to pay for a built in hard drive if most people would never use most of the space anyways.  To me, Nintendo's decision on this was a good one.  Also for me, we have 4 different external hard drives in my house, so it saved me money.

The thing is, those consoles have been around much longer and they have other OPTIONS, its not like those are the only ones you can get. ANd you have to look at price, the 4gig 360 is 100 bucks less than the basic wii U model that has only twice the space...most of which is going to be used to set up the OS anyway. (yes i know the cost is coming from the controller, but most wont care). PS3 has all kinds of options. Hell, for the same amount of money you can get a 500GB ps3 WITH a damn game. THe basic you get nothing,  and thats just one of there like 4 options. ANd the only other Wii U option is the more expensive deluxe set which is still the most expensive and only has 32 gigs. 

I get where people are coming from with the whole external harddrives and thats cool. But to the average consumer, it looks like a worst deal than the other two. Lets be real, Wii U is competing against PS360

Around the Network
Fireforgey said:
bananaking21 said:
DieAppleDie said:
bananaking21 said:
DieAppleDie said:
A second hand 500gb hdd costs next to zero, shouldnt be a big deal.....the key word is should

they just released the system and already games are requiring you to change the hard drive. it was obvious from day one that this will be in issue yet nintendo decided to go with the extremely low memory choices. so much for nintendo going all out on the digital and online space like they claim they are doing

The thing is most people buy games on discs, people that need huge memory to dwnld full games are the minority, of the minority...you cant really blame Nintendo for not adding a big hard drive, minorities are not priorities....

thats not true, digital sales have been growing a lot, ubisoft says that digital downloads of their games on the vita are between 15% to 20%. fire emblems digital downloads in the usa account for over 30% of its tottal sales. digital downloads are growing, and fast. and nintendo's limited storage doesnt really help it

Sooooooo, wouldn't these people have a significantly larger HDD than 32 GB already?  Especially if they want to download a 22 GB game?  I don't see how this is an issue.

how can it not be an issue that a system you just recently bought doesnt have enough space to download a game that is just about to release? there is no logic with your statment, your saying that even though nintendo them selfs are pushing digital downloads by offering every game that is releasing a digital version day 1, yet their consoles dont have enough space to download 1 game isnt an issue? 

VGKing said:
Kaizar said:
VGKing said:
That tiny HDD is already biting Nintendo in the ass.

I know........I mean can you imagine people being force to pay up to $25 for a 500 GB external Hard Drive.

If you can't tell I'm showing how you are full of BS, because even a 250 GB external Hard Drive wouldn't cost more then $15.

Where the hell do you shop? 250GB external HDDs cost about $150 on Newegg. Here's the link http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007601&IsNodeId=1&Description=250gb%20external%20hard%20drive&name=External%20Hard%20Drives&Order=BESTMATCH

Are you trolling? I got a 1.5 TB external HDD for $70 on New Egg last year. Here is one for $85

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148886

Darc Requiem said:
VGKing said:
Kaizar said:
VGKing said:
That tiny HDD is already biting Nintendo in the ass.

I know........I mean can you imagine people being force to pay up to $25 for a 500 GB external Hard Drive.

If you can't tell I'm showing how you are full of BS, because even a 250 GB external Hard Drive wouldn't cost more then $15.

Where the hell do you shop? 250GB external HDDs cost about $150 on Newegg. Here's the link http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007601&IsNodeId=1&Description=250gb%20external%20hard%20drive&name=External%20Hard%20Drives&Order=BESTMATCH

Are you trolling? I got a 1.5 TB external HDD for $70 on New Egg last year. Here is one for $85

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148886

Just did a quick search for 250GB external HDD and linked to what came up.  Anyway, Nintendo needs to release a 250GB Wii U at the least.

KungKras said:
The following should be thrown in the face of every person complaining about the SSD drive:

The PS1, Gamecube, PS2, and to a certain degree the N64 ALL used memory cards and had NO internal storage. You HAD to buy them to even be able to save your games. What a bunch of inconvenient, horrible consoles those were. Especially considering how ridiculus the price/space ratio was. Fuck Nintendo for giving consumers the freedom to go and buy the cheapest, most cost efficient storage option.

This is what I hate about what consoles and console gamers have become. They don't recognise a proper console anymore. Everything is supposed to be a dumbed down PC.

Thank you.

I think these people are just noobs......as in they have only been playing for the past up to 5-10 years.

Around the Network
ROBOTECHHEAVEN said:
i got a 1tb hdd from amazon for $50, so for those ppl who want alot of extra storage space the price isnt a factor either. it just seems the ppl who dont like nintendo or the ppl who just wana hate on them because they want too own one of there systems but dont wana show it in public.
this isnt a issue at all, why because tekken tag 2 is a 17gb download for the ppl who go digital . so thats a 5 gb difference.
i will keep saying this till the day i stop gaming, ppl just need to enjoy the systems they like and play the games , and stop being a bunch of imature morons.

I knew I wasn't the only person to get High memory hard drives for the low.

Spedfrom said:
Wii U supports MicroSD cards right? How big in capacity are they these days? And couldn't I use one of them instead of a HDD to install games/apps/etc? How much would the cost of a bigger capacity MicroSD card be when compared to a 500gb HDD?

Yes you can use SD cards & micro and mini SD cards with SD adapters.

OMG. Nintendo expected me to actually know how to plug an external usb drive into the WiiU? That's ridiculous. I demand Nintendo sending a Nintendo representative to help me plug in!

Microsoft push Xbox Live because it makes a profit. They WANT you to download games and spend money online. But they realise as well that some people will never take Xbox online so they offer you a 4BG entry level xbox. They cater to the masses. Likewise with sony and its PS3 bundles where they are starting to push PSN subscriptions.

Nintendo, as usual, are rare beasts that are hard to judge. The WiiU bundles on offer dont have storage drives big enough to support multiple games. They dont seem to encourage online purchases. Its hard to know what Nintendo were thinking or what they plan to do...

To sum it up then about harddrives.

If Nintendo do it it's bad

If Sony or MS do it it's ok?

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints