By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii U external hard drive required to download Lego City Undercover, Nintendo says

freedomland said:
Well!!!!!!!!!!!

Not to be rude, but when you post something, you have to... post something.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
WereKitten said:
KungKras said:
Otakumegane said:
Well.

Nintendo why you make so many bad decisions.

Not selling proprietary hard drives so consumers can buy better ones for cheaper is a bad decision?

A non proprietary internal hard-drive that you can just push in a sled would cost less to the consumer than a non-proprietary external drive with casing, controller, vcabling and maybe external power. And it would be faster. And it would be neater.

Really, the decision to leave off a replaceable HD option has no advantage for the consumer. It was an upfront cost cutting decision.

It has a very big advantage.  In the end Nintendo does not sell us something that we might not need.  Not everyone is going to download games or even fill their 32 GB SDD.  For those of us that do need more space.....Well obviously we still probably would have bought an external hardrive.  Really this is about as non-issue as non-issues can get.

Is this really a big deal? Most people are going disc format anyways.

It's just that simple.

Fireforgey said:

It has a very big advantage.  In the end Nintendo does not sell us something that we might not need.  Not everyone is going to download games or even fill their 32 GB SDD.  For those of us that do need more space.....Well obviously we still probably would have bought an external hardrive.  Really this is about as non-issue as non-issues can get.

The keyword in my post was "option": use a sled, let a customer who buys a basic model with no HD put an inexpensive one later on. Let a customer who bought the advanced model upgrade the size or speed in a few years time as well. The cost for that SATA controller and sled is probably a few dollars, and it would solve the problem of storage once and for all.

It's not a big issue, just like slow updates or clumsy system interfaces or many other friction points won't keep you from enjoying good games if good games are available. Still, every major player should strive to design for the customer experience to be as hassle-free as possible, and the storage choices here were not.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

Barozi said:
The real question is, how many people have a decent enough bandwidth (or free traffic) to actually download 22GB of data within a reasonable time ?

And without data caps, of course.

Around the Network

Nintendo really needs to get with the times

pezus said:
Kaizar said:
KungKras said:
The following should be thrown in the face of every person complaining about the SSD drive:

The PS1, Gamecube, PS2, and to a certain degree the N64 ALL used memory cards and had NO internal storage. You HAD to buy them to even be able to save your games. What a bunch of inconvenient, horrible consoles those were. Especially considering how ridiculus the price/space ratio was. Fuck Nintendo for giving consumers the freedom to go and buy the cheapest, most cost efficient storage option.

This is what I hate about what consoles and console gamers have become. They don't recognise a proper console anymore. Everything is supposed to be a dumbed down PC.

Thank you.

I think these people are just noobs......as in they have only been playing for the past up to 5-10 years.

Yep, makes sense. People who've gamed for shortest time want more advancements than the people who've been gaming since the dawn of time.

So every gamer can afford $60 for a game, but no one can afford $60 for an 1 TB to 1.5 TB External Hard Drive in the year 2013.

Plus when the PS3 & 360 came out, they only had like a 4 GB Internal memory. So are you complaint that the PS3/360/Wii U take 1 to 2 years after release to have higher internal hard drive versions? (because Sony & Microsoft have already done the exact same thing and will again with the PS4 & 720 to keep the price at $600 with a 8 GB RAM, because retailers always make a profit off the hardware, even when Sony & Microsoft & Nintendo lose money on each console sold)

This is a huge optics problem for Nintendo's more casual consumers.

I can just see a mom looking to buy a system for their kids. WiiU is already the most expensive console on the market (currently) playing a lot of the same games as the other systems and oh, wait... you'll need to buy an external HDD too because WiiU does't come with enough space. No ma'am, not even the deluxe version.

They'll go with a PS3/360 or Wii instead.

Gamerace said:
This is a huge optics problem for Nintendo's more casual consumers.

I can just see a mom looking to buy a system for their kids. WiiU is already the most expensive console on the market (currently) playing a lot of the same games as the other systems and oh, wait... you'll need to buy an external HDD too because WiiU does't come with enough space. No ma'am, not even the deluxe version.

They'll go with a PS3/360 or Wii instead.

The thing is none of those casuals need more than 32gb, as theyre not the kind of person that download full games through internet.

Kaizar said:
VGKing said:
That tiny HDD is already biting Nintendo in the ass.

I know........I mean can you imagine people being force to pay up to $25 for a 500 GB external Hard Drive.

If you can't tell I'm showing how you are full of BS, because even a 250 GB external Hard Drive wouldn't cost more then $15.

Why should I pay for that extra? if Wii-U is supposedly a next gen console a huge hard drive storage would be included,

Wii-U should be even cheaper than 360 or ps3 than