By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Miyamoto says Nintendo didn't focus on online because it "would have limited the size of the audience that could enjoy those features"

brendude13 said:
So they didn't implement a crucial feature because 1% of their audience wouldn't have been able to access it. Am I reading this right?

Internet access is not even remotely close to being as prevalent as you think.

81% of Adults in the USA use the internet, leaving 19% who don't, as of Sep 2012.

http://pewinternet.org/Commentary/2011/November/Pew-Internet-Health.aspx

Now, because they are explaining the reason the Wii didn't focus on online, we have to go back to 2006 data, not 2012, thus reducing our number from 81%

Additionally, because Nintendo cares about more of the world than the United States, we have to look at some weighted average of world statistics, thus reducing our 81% even further.

Just because someone uses the internet, doesn't mean that they have access to broadband internet with a reasonable download limit. This is particularly true remembering the aforementioned points about 2006=/=2012 and USA=/=World. Again, this would reduce the number from 81%.

The Wii was aimed at everyone, not just 14-18 year old males. Even amongst the core gaming demographic, I know plenty of people who would not be able to play a game of CoD online, they might have internet via their mobile, or one of the horrendously expensive usb dongle things.

Around the Network
Soleron said:
pezus said:

Ultimately, Miyamoto admitted that, "entertainment is an unpredictable industry" and "Nintendo's stance, over all, is that we don't know where entertainment will take us next."

Wow.

Entertainment is a highly predictable industry with mountains of data, succesful products to emulate and mistaken products to avoid, some of them Nintendo's own. Creativity is not the foundation of a successful game company, it is process. Quality and craftsmanship, yes, but it has to be in service of releasing a product the market wants at the right time.

It's sad to hear those words from Miyamoto as it shows that even if he's made some right choices in the past he had no idea why they worked.

Yeah, we all saw Smartphones and Tablets coming. The release of the Playstation back in 1994 was of course also highly expected as well as the success of the system. Like, nobody on the planet underestimated Sonys first console. EVER.

To be short, I don't think highly predictable fits the entertainment industry. A single innovation can change the whole market over night and you just can't possibly know about the next big thing. 

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

OdinHades said:
Soleron said:
pezus said:

Ultimately, Miyamoto admitted that, "entertainment is an unpredictable industry" and "Nintendo's stance, over all, is that we don't know where entertainment will take us next."

Wow.

Entertainment is a highly predictable industry with mountains of data, succesful products to emulate and mistaken products to avoid, some of them Nintendo's own. Creativity is not the foundation of a successful game company, it is process. Quality and craftsmanship, yes, but it has to be in service of releasing a product the market wants at the right time.

It's sad to hear those words from Miyamoto as it shows that even if he's made some right choices in the past he had no idea why they worked.

Yeah, we all saw Smartphones and Tablets coming. The release of the Playstation back in 1994 was of course also highly expected as well as the success of the system. Like, nobody on the planet underestimated Sonys first console. EVER.

To be short, I don't think highly predictable fits the entertainment industry. A single innovation can change the whole market over night and you just can't possibly know about the next big thing. 

Playstation didn't do ANYTHING. It was just that third parties didn't want to go on an expensive, controlling Nintendo platform. They would have gone to a cardboard box if necessary. That's the great Sony secret: they did nothing. The third parties created a bunch of mass market desirable experiences and they obviously sold.

Smartphones and tablets are again, not about the objects themselves. It's that battery, screen and processor tech allowed them to do many of the functions of a laptop more portably and conveniently. 

I hate attempts to form a narrative of new and surprising. The exact nature of things may be like that, but the reasons why something sold never change.

scottie said:
brendude13 said:
So they didn't implement a crucial feature because 1% of their audience wouldn't have been able to access it. Am I reading this right?

Internet access is not even remotely close to being as prevalent as you think.

81% of Adults in the USA use the internet, leaving 19% who don't, as of Sep 2012.

http://pewinternet.org/Commentary/2011/November/Pew-Internet-Health.aspx

Now, because they are explaining the reason the Wii didn't focus on online, we have to go back to 2006 data, not 2012, thus reducing our number from 81%

Additionally, because Nintendo cares about more of the world than the United States, we have to look at some weighted average of world statistics, thus reducing our 81% even further.

Just because someone uses the internet, doesn't mean that they have access to broadband internet with a reasonable download limit. This is particularly true remembering the aforementioned points about 2006=/=2012 and USA=/=World. Again, this would reduce the number from 81%.

The Wii was aimed at everyone, not just 14-18 year old males. Even amongst the core gaming demographic, I know plenty of people who would not be able to play a game of CoD online, they might have internet via their mobile, or one of the horrendously expensive usb dongle things.

I can't believe people are actually arguing this. I personally think that it's a ridiculous justification. I guess it didn't hurt the Wii much but it is hurting the WiiU now. Also do you truly believe that the 20 percent that doesn't have internet are the type that would buy a gaming console?

I mean the same survey you showed suggests that around 15 percent don't have cell phones. People who fall under that category are either very poor or they are very conservative or whatever. I'm not saying that all console owners have internet but I'm pretty sure that the percentage would be at least 95%.

Nintendo needs new management, they could have won next-generation before the ps4/720 were even out. I was rooting for them but they've failed me on a yearly basis since E3 2008.

Around the Network
Talal said:
scottie said:
brendude13 said:

I can't believe people are actually arguing this. I personally think that it's a ridiculous justification. I guess it didn't hurt the Wii much but it is hurting the WiiU now. Also do you truly believe that the 20 percent that doesn't have internet are the type that would buy a gaming console?

I mean the same survey you showed suggests that around 15 percent don't have cell phones. People who fall under that category are either very poor or they are very conservative or whatever. I'm not saying that all console owners have internet but I'm pretty sure that the percentage would be at least 95%.

Indeed, I can't believe people are arguing this.

The 20% was for 2012, USA with any internet access. Please refer to it as ~50% in the future to refer to worldwide, 2006, with broadband.

The point is that the Wii wanted to appeal to everyone, as I said just above. You know who everyone includes? EVERYONE. You know those 'Wii used in retirement homes' stories? Yeah, they are part of everyone.

And yes, as I also said above, I know plenty of gamers that, haven't had sufficient internet access.

Infact, ignore this post and just read my one aboev, as you clearly didn't read it originally. And please, when you read it, actually pay attention, and base your opinion on facts, not on things like "Nintendo said it, therefore I must disagree with it." If Nintendo reps told you not to jump off a bridge, would you jump?

scottie said:
Talal said:
scottie said:
brendude13 said:

Indeed, I can't believe people are arguing this.

The 20% was for 2012, USA with any internet access. Please refer to it as ~50% in the future to refer to worldwide, 2006, with broadband.

The point is that the Wii wanted to appeal to everyone, as I said just above. You know who everyone includes? EVERYONE. You know those 'Wii used in retirement homes' stories? Yeah, they are part of everyone.

And yes, as I also said above, I know plenty of gamers that, haven't had sufficient internet access.

Infact, ignore this post and just read my one aboev, as you clearly didn't read it originally. And please, when you read it, actually pay attention, and base your opinion on facts, not on things like "Nintendo said it, therefore I must disagree with it." If Nintendo reps told you not to jump off a bridge, would you jump?

You must not know me if you think I hate Nintendo. I'm just saying that the justification is very dumb "appealing to everyone" well then why does the WiiU have HD?

You're the one that's being very defensive, seeing as how you got upset about my post. If you still can't see how ridiculous the "appeal to everyone" excuse then nothing will change your mind.

Talal said:
scottie said:
Talal said:
scottie said:
brendude13 said:

You must not know me if you think I hate Nintendo. I'm just saying that the justification is very dumb "appealing to everyone" well then why does the WiiU have HD?

You're the one that's being very defensive, seeing as how you got upset about my post. If you still can't see how ridiculous the "appeal to everyone" excuse then nothing will change your mind.

I don't understand the question. The WiiU supports both hdmi and AV outputs.

You might think it ridiculous that the Wii was designed to appeal to everyone, but it took Nintendo from 21 million to 100 million in a single generation.

scottie said:
Talal said:
scottie said:
Talal said:
scottie said:
brendude13 said:

I don't understand the question. The WiiU supports both hdmi and AV outputs.

You might think it ridiculous that the Wii was designed to appeal to everyone, but it took Nintendo from 21 million to 100 million in a single generation.

It was a huge success I never denied that. So if a console has online you have to play online?

It's the exact same thing as HD, not everyone can use it but it is an important feature to have. Anyway I was okay with the Wii having mediocre online, I just thought that the justification made 0 sense. 

Well, there's a reason why I haven't considered geting a PS3 or a X360 to play multiplats.

I'm not going to pay 70 euros per game to play broken, unpatched games that lack content because it was planned to be sold as DLC later, have short single player campaigns and lack local multiplayer modes because devs focused in online.