By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Miyamoto says Nintendo didn't focus on online because it "would have limited the size of the audience that could enjoy those features"

TheLastStarFighter said:
He's actually right. Even with the very online-centric XBox, most owners don't use it online. It's a hard concept for hardcore gamers to grasp. It's only in the late part of gen 7 (the last 3 years) that online and hi-def have become so important for a system. It's why Wii was huge for 4 years but PS360 have taken over. PS360 were over-engineered and premature. The perfect time to launch these systems was around 2010. PS360 was early to the party while Nintendo and WiiU is late.

Came in to post something similar.

I read that for the last decade the number of users who really used consoles' online was somewhere around 30% and it was only recently that figure has gone over 50%.

Around the Network
umegames said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
I'm not saying the business decision not to invest in a more sophisticated online infrastructure was a wise one, but this article is really offensive. Not everyone has high-speed internet. In fact, as of 2011, about 65% of the world is offline.

Over half the customers who walk into a electronic retailer (i.e. best buy ) do not have interent outside of their phone. I see them everyday, and more people are dropping their internet for mobile broadband, which doesn't sustain the amount of data needed for online gaming.

People with the internet are not in touch with this fact .

Well-if more and more people are dropping internet for mobile broadband than there still is no reason for Nintendo to focus on online,as the online userbase is getting smaller and smaller.

What's really sad about this is previous Nintendo consoles have all had online capabilities... just no content to make it worthwhile. Why put the hardware there if you don't see it as a possibility.

As innovative as Nintendo is with games and controls, its mindblowing how lacking they are in other areas like media and network utilization.

Really it just comes down to cutting costs. They wait as long as possible to add that cost associated with that technology. They didn't see internet in their games as a must have feature and figured they'd still do well at retail without it. Therefore no need to add the extra layer of expenses. Wii was the last time they felt they could largely get away with that approach.

Now they know its mandatory or it will surely fail.

Maybe they should get rid of single player too?

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

Im speechless really.....

Around the Network

THIS IS ME DEFENDING NINTENDO.

I had dial-up through most of PS2s life cycle). So naturally Nintendo didn't put online as a focus with the Wii and by the time it released, it was already too late to do anything on the level of PSN or XBL. Considering the direction the Wii has taken Nintendo people are actually lucky the thing shipped with built-in Wi-Fi.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
I'm not saying the business decision not to invest in a more sophisticated online infrastructure was a wise one, but this article is really offensive. Not everyone has high-speed internet. In fact, as of 2011, about 65% of the world is offline.

and 25% of the world doesn't have electricity..

...but as only 10% of wii's market came for not N. amercia, japan, and europe it doesn't really matter.

M.U.G.E.N said:
What a load of bull

sad thing is I actually saw some people saying he is right >_>

I also saw some people saying that Pachter was right in this thread; http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=156874&page=1. It trully is sad.

OT: I can't really take this all too seriously. Despite Nintendo introducing Online with the DS (Which released in 2006?) it was still a few years off. (Like, one or so.)

Miyamoto should not be taking business. He's the idea man, not the salesman,
Iwata should be the one explaining the company's mistakes.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

At least they are aware now of something called Internet.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile