By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Party Chat that important?

Tagged games:

Yes. I would like to remain chatting to a friend when I'm switching games or using the menu. Which you can't do on the PS3.

Around the Network
KylieDog said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
KylieDog said:

Party chat is a plague to team games.

It should be disabled in any game that requires teamplay/teamwork.

I'm talking cross-game party chat.

Hey, in a perfect world, I agree 100%.

But I gotta say that everytime I play an online multiplayer game with my friends, I beg them to enable party chat. The amount of ugly, annoying nonsense coming out of the lips of other players on Xbox LIVE is staggering. And it takes all the joy out of the competition.

PS3 has regular party chat, if someone in a lobby is a loudmouth it takes splitseconds to mute them, or the entire lobby that isn't in party.  Cross game chat does nothing but ruin teamwork.

Oh, I misunderstood. I was defending party chat, i.e., removing oneself and one's friends from the larger roster of players to avoid hearing all the idiots.

Cross-game chat would certainly impair a team's ability to work together. But do many people take advantage of that feature? Why distract yourself with outside conversation during a multiplayer match?

JWeinCom said:
If your console has a game/feature that a rival doesn't, it is instantly the most important feature of all.

You mean like Free online MP?

Yes in a simple answer. Me and my friends always go into party chats to avoid listening to annoying people. Also it is nice if we are all playing different games.

If we play a multiplayer game on PS3 we actually leave our X360 on and use it's party chat sytem. No joke

It's great if you have friends to use it with. When I first got my 360 and was playing Tales of Vesperia, I would be talking with my friends all the time, it was great. After I stopped playing my 360 lots though, I never really used it again, the thought of using it never crossed me mind.

I've only used it once on Vita though because I don't have many people to talk to. It sucks.

Around the Network
trasharmdsister12 said:
When I used to play more multiplayer, party chat made Xbox LIVE a bearable and very enjoyable experience. What it does is separate you and your friends from all the other chatter going on in a game. Yeah, you can play different games and still chat, but you could also play the same game and chat independently of what everyone else is doing.

What this means is you don't get annoying people screaming or cursing or yelling derogatory slurs in your ears. Instead, you play with your group of friends who you enjoy talking to, coordinating with, and actually playing the way you guys like to play independent of what others are doing.

The party chat extends beyond that though in some games. It means you can move between playlists, custom games, and such as a group. For example, in Halo 3 they had custom games, matchmaking, co-op singleplayer, and theatre modes. When in a party, all your chatter is isolated to within your party but you can also jump between these modes as a group. Me and my friends would play a round of team slayer, then with just me (as host) moving to the theatre mode to check out our latest battle for strategy improvements, all my friends would also be there right away. There's no annoying leaving one mode and joining another individually and re-coordinating with invites and what not. I just go to theatre and everyone is just... there.

Same goes for changing between games. We'd all be playing Halo and then a couple of us would want to go play some co-op Fable. So we'd split into groups of two, split the chat and we'd be good to go with a quick disc change without having to deal with a whole lot of invitations and rejoining sessions, etc.

I haven't paid for LIVE in the last 2+ years because I don't have the time to sink into multiplayer games like I used to but I know that the party (chat) feature of LIVE actually made me want to use it and made online gameplay bearable for me personally.

Yep, that's more or less a good way to use it.  It's also REALLY helpful on some PC games or other games where the chatting function just is programmed right. (or an option.)

if you have freinds,then yes. If your a lone wolf,like me,then no.

brendude13 said:
It's great if you have friends to use it with. When I first got my 360 and was playing Tales of Vesperia, I would be talking with my friends all the time, it was great. After I stopped playing my 360 lots though, I never really used it again, the thought of using it never crossed me mind.

I've only used it once on Vita though because I don't have many people to talk to. It sucks.

Question.  How is the Vita cross-game chat?  I dont have a vita yet :/  But do you use a headset for it or is the mic on the vita it's self?

CGI-Quality said:
JayWood2010 said:
If we play a multiplayer game on PS3 we actually leave our X360 on and use it's party chat sytem. No joke

Lulz, been doing since even before Party Chat. I played the original Army Of Two on PS3 this way.

lol Yeah we always do that.  I remember when XBL first came out I got friend requests left and right but since it came out i rarely get one because im always in a chat on both XBL/PSN.

Lately we have been using Steam's chat system though because we are on steam more than XBL.  Plus people's voices are crystal clear on steam compared to XBL

JayWood2010 said:
brendude13 said:

Question.  How is the Vita cross-game chat?  I dont have a vita yet :/  But do you use a headset for it or is the mic on the vita it's self?

The mic is on the Vita itself, but the Vita headphones I bought also have a mic on them, so it's a little bit confusing. When I used it I had nothing plugged in, just talked to my Vita and my friends voice came out the speakers along with the game audio. Quality was decent.