By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Piston "Steam Box" revealed - and it's not cheap

Seems about right.
That much power, in that space means it's the best money can buy....so no surprise the price reflects it.

Around the Network
TheJimbo1234 said:
Seems about right.
That much power, in that space means it's the best money can buy....so no surprise the price reflects it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215974

That's a notebook with the same cpu and on-board graphics AND an additional 7670M(dual graphics). Much more portable and powerfull and $579.... You can add an SSD drive if you wish aswell with the money you save.

I LOVE ICELAND!

Official model or not, it's too goddamned expensive.

Who exactly is this meant to appeal too? It's too expensive for console gamers, who will see no reason to get this when the next gen consoles will cost half as much. PC gamers most likely already have more powerful systems, and could upgrade their parts for far less if they don't. Hell, you could get a more powerful PC pre-assembled if you look around. Those who want to make an offering to the church of Gabe, meanwhile, will end up getting the "real" Steam Box.

There are cheaper, better alternatives for pretty much every segment of the market. Really don't get the point of this.

Have some time to kill? Read my shitty games blog. http://www.pixlbit.com/blogs/586/gigantor21

:D

Just wow...for this price I'm better off if I buy a good PC for 700€ and some furniture to hide it behind. Crazy o.O

Around the Network

Woah thats expensive! I'll still might get one for the cool factor

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

With $899 you could build a mid-end PC and still buy one between PS4/X720.

This is just soooo stupid

It is a smaller PC, but with so many disadvantages versus a console. I just don't see why you would want something like this for gaming, as far as I can tell, it doesn't even have a dedicated GPU!

I guess what they are going for is that people really like having the openness of a PC, but don't want something as large as an Alienware X51 (or other HTPCs)

But I just don't understand why you would pay $1000 for this? My PC was probably about $200 more expensive (I live in the UK, so I can't give an exact price without a lot of effort) but it can play every game released at 1080p on Ultra. This very distinctly can not

Way too expensive for what it is, who wants to pay 1000+ for a machine that probably can barely run most games on medium.

PS3/360 or a proper PC are far better options.

Okay, even Pachter can predict correctly the future of this thing.