By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Piston "Steam Box" revealed - and it's not cheap

$1600.. Really what the hell... Who's this for? We all love SSD. And want to see HDD's finally vanish. But you don't stick in 500GB SSD drive into stuff now. Even the lowest model is more money than two consoles. Who in gods name would buy this?

Around the Network

....this is not the Steambox......

*Its a collaboration with Valve and Piston for PC only......

*You know you can change thread title right?

has anyone looked at the size of that thing? its tiny. would make a great computer that you can move room to room or take to a friends house.

But I agree its expensive

its a little bigger than I thought for the piston

archer9234 said:

$1600.. Really what the hell... Who's this for? We all love SSD. And want to see HDD's finally vanish. But you don't stick in 500GB SSD drive into stuff now. Even the lowest model is more money than two consoles. Who in gods name would buy this?

Speak for yourself. Except for a small netbook i don't have any systems with a ssd at home. I'm not paying $100 for 128gb of ssd storage if i can get 2000gb/3000gb of storage with a hdd for the same price. When it comes to external storage we wil be needing regular hdd's for some time to come aswell.

SSD is only good for installing programs and files you use very often, but you alway's need a HDD on the side.

pezus said:
OT: This is something that Apple could probably sell like hot cakes. Replace the "piston" sticker with an Apple one, add some magic Apple advertising and watch it disappear from shelves in days

It's sad how true this is. Steve Jobs could probably increase the price by 50% and still sell it.

Around the Network
AnthonyW86 said:
archer9234 said:

Speak for yourself. Except for a small netbook i don't have any systems with a ssd at home. I'm not paying $100 for 128gb of ssd storage if i can get 2000gb/3000gb of storage with a hdd for the same price. When it comes to external storage we wil be needing regular hdd's for some time to come aswell.

SSD is only good for installing programs and files you use very often, but you alway's need a HDD on the side.

That's what I said... I want HDD's to fade out when SSD are afordable over HDD's. What they did here was stick one in and made the price redicules. Pistion shouldn't of been made with a SSD that big.

Thankfully this is not the Steam Box, let's hope Gabe is not stupid enough to have a similar price. I have high hopes for the Steam Box...don't disappoint me almighty Gabe Newell. 

Nintendo and PC gamer

osed125 said:

Thankfully this is not the Steam Box, let's hope Gabe is not stupid enough to have a similar price. I have high hopes for the Steam Box...don't disappoint me almighty Gabe Newell. 

I think its high price come from its small form factor and ssd. with out those the steam box has a chance at being cheaper. Hopefully a lot cheaper.

Too expensive, non evolutive, obsolete in 6 months..

pezus said:
OT: This is something that Apple could probably sell like hot cakes. Replace the "piston" sticker with an Apple one, add some magic Apple advertising and watch it disappear from shelves in days

That's so true. It would be huge. 

It's a novel device but you're paying too much of a premium for the tiny form factor for my tastes.