By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The bans in Jaywood's thread are laudable

theprof00 said:
I am also against reporting but that's only because I thought everyone else was.
Last week I was banned 3 days for saying, "MS, are you even trying", in a thread about how Sony just like gave me 10 dollars for doing nothing.
Clearly, the report buttons are working now, and people are using them, given the evidence, so I thought about it, and it sounds find. Before, I don't think it was working because I've reported things like flaming and trolling and nothing happens.

lol at your ban... I have no words.

The issue with the report button is that if a brand user always report a oposite brand user just because the first didn't like any comment coming from the second.

It's like Xboxers reporting Players reporting Wiiers reporting Players reporting Xboxers reporting Wiiers reporting Xboxers... no specific order.

Around the Network
axumblade said:
People seem to think we were banning people just because JayWood said that trolling wouldn't be tolerated. The reason people were banned is because he was talking about a sale on a service that he thought others would be interested in and all certain users wanted to do was write about how they disliked the service, which was derailing the topic and considered trolling because instead of adding to the conversation, they complained about it being a paid service. It's also spamming because it doesn't contribute to conversation either. And flaming because it creates arguments and discourse between users.

Slightly off topic, but is it a bannable offense to talk to a moderator about a moderation if you are uncomfortable with the reason?

pezus said:
theprof00 said:
ganoncrotch said:
all the moderating is fairly justified tho, guy just made a thread to point out a good deal online and people came in there raining hate down on xbl and its users. I never really got the dislike of it, had a gold account since it was first available and pay 12euros a month for WoW I really don't get the issue some people having with people paying money to use the service/game they like.

Kinda reminds me of when one of my mates who plays LoL all day everyday was giving out shite to another mate for buying skins from the store saying it was such a rip off charging for those.... took us about 2 hours of talking to him to explain that if no one pays for stuff from the store in a free to play game it would not exist for long. Don't understand it at all.

No, I completely agree. Trolling should not be allowed. I'm glad that this event seems to be an official signal of cracking down.
There's a lot of trolling that goes down here, and if I can take

"Still too pricey for what's offered. Zero dollars and zero cents would be nice, or dedicated servers for all popular games."

as an example of trolling, then I'm actually pretty excited about the near future.

Basically this means that, for example, posts saying PS Plus isn't worth it are bannable. Or the eventual "PS4 is too expensive for what it offers"

Not neccessarily. If someone posted a topic about PS+ cards going on sale or a new game being added to PSN+ and then someone brought up the value of the service, it would then be trolling and bannable.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
pezus said:
theprof00 said:
ganoncrotch said:
all the moderating is fairly justified tho, guy just made a thread to point out a good deal online and people came in there raining hate down on xbl and its users. I never really got the dislike of it, had a gold account since it was first available and pay 12euros a month for WoW I really don't get the issue some people having with people paying money to use the service/game they like.

Kinda reminds me of when one of my mates who plays LoL all day everyday was giving out shite to another mate for buying skins from the store saying it was such a rip off charging for those.... took us about 2 hours of talking to him to explain that if no one pays for stuff from the store in a free to play game it would not exist for long. Don't understand it at all.

No, I completely agree. Trolling should not be allowed. I'm glad that this event seems to be an official signal of cracking down.

"Still too pricey for what's offered. Zero dollars and zero cents would be nice, or dedicated servers for all popular games."

as an example of trolling, then I'm actually pretty excited about the near future.

Basically this means that, for example, posts saying PS Plus isn't worth it are bannable. Or the eventual "PS4 is too expensive for what it offers"

Not neccessarily. If someone posted a topic about PS+ cards going on sale or a new game being added to PSN+ and then someone brought up the value of the service, it would then be trolling and bannable.

That's a rather strict definition, but it basically boils down to speaking negatively about something when comparison or opinion wasn't requested.

axumblade said:
People seem to think we were banning people just because JayWood said that trolling wouldn't be tolerated. The reason people were banned is because he was talking about a sale on a service that he thought others would be interested in and all certain users wanted to do was write about how they disliked the service, which was derailing the topic and considered trolling because instead of adding to the conversation, they complained about it being a paid service. It's also spamming because it doesn't contribute to conversation either. And flaming because it creates arguments and discourse between users.

As another mod who... uh... participated in moderating users in that thread, I also wanted to confirm what Axum has said (hopefully with more punctuation ).

The mod team hasn't changed gears when it comes to enforcing rules or moderating users. We're still reviewing threads, posts, and reports as a team (The vast majority of moderations are done as a team, thanks to mod chat on AIM!) and doing our best to maintain quality discussion and community growth.

JayWood's thread (like any other thread) was given certain parameters based on the content of his thread. The content included a deal for Xbox Live users and how they could access it. The thread had NOTHING to do with one's opinion on Microsoft's online service or what you think about competing online services. The thread was meant to help other gamers out (and some posters even gave him hell for that. *shakes head*).

But even with a moderator asking users to keep things on topic early on, people just couldn't help themselves by making it another turf war for the console warz. So when users began to veer off topic and even go so far as to troll the Live online service, that's when we intervened. I would have loved the conversation to steer towards Live users coming together and getting a deal on their service, but instead we have a half dozen bans and a thread with (once again) wasted potential. I'm glad JayWood made the thread, helping out other Live members potentially save money for the service. Unfortuantely people just couldn't help themselves and did their best to steer discussion off topic and turn things into a flame war. :

Around the Network
theprof00 said:
outlawauron said:
pezus said:
theprof00 said:
ganoncrotch said:

That's a rather strict definition, but it basically boils down to speaking negatively about something when comparison or opinion wasn't requested.

It would be derailing the thread with trolling and flamebait. There's a way to say it all and a topic for everything to be posted.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Nobody here is disagreeing with you smeags.
I totally agree, it was trolling. Now let's see this level of enforcement stay consistent. I trust you agree, given that you have now both come here to reaffirm your commitment.

outlawauron said:
theprof00 said:

It would be derailing the thread with trolling and flamebait. There's a way to say it all and a topic for everything to be posted.

I'm just clarifying for pezus so that he understands that the rule applies to more than just "deals threads".

theprof00 said:
I am also against reporting but that's only because I thought everyone else was.
Last week I was banned 3 days for saying, "MS, are you even trying", in a thread about how Sony just like gave me 10 dollars for doing nothing.
Clearly, the report buttons are working now, and people are using them, given the evidence, so I thought about it, and it sounds find. Before, I don't think it was working because I've reported things like flaming and trolling and nothing happens.

Saying? you made a thread about it in the Sony forums.

Nsanity said:
theprof00 said:

Saying? you made a thread about it in the Sony forums.

Yeah, I made a thread about how I got 10$ from Sony for no reason.

That is correct.

EDIT: Writing "saying X in a thread" was just incorrect. Mistake of inattention.