By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The bans in Jaywood's thread are laudable

theprof00 said:
Akvod said:
Shinobi-san said:
Akvod said:
You can't define trolling as whatever you want. It's very disturbing to see that an OP can define trolling as a negative opinion and that the moderating team would ban people for that.

But what's even more sadder is the thread. It should have been locked, and people should either have ignored it or called it out as a shit thread (a few people sort of did).

I mean, let's just taker a looser definition of trolling as "off topic". What exactly was the topic in the thread? What exactly was to be DISCUSSED in the thread?

Say for example that Microsoft permanently lowered LIVE's price. That's a news worthy story that has a lot of implication on Microsoft's business strategy and future actions. There's something to be talked about.

What exactly were people supposed to discuss here?

People were suppose to thank him....

I get where you coming from. But i also dont see the need for a negative comment towards live.

And is that what you call discourse?

Negative comments are not moderable regardless.

I meant off topic :/ But some off topic comments were not addressed in the thread. I guess we can narrow it down to off topic and negative.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:
Akvod said:
pokoko said:
"jaywood's thread" is half of VGC.

Probably more like 10%. Although that probably depends on when exactly you take a sample.

How in the world do you have time to make charts like this?

It's pretty quick and easy to make it. If you're not familiar with Excel, I barely did any formatting. Just dumped the data and made the chart.

I am afraid of writing on jaywood threads.

However, I have reported trolling against Sony dozens of times, and nothing ever hapenned to the trolls, are the mods Sony-blind?

Carl2291 said:
RolStoppable said:
theprof00 said:
RolStoppable said:

Do you guys want to turn this into a "who can get the most people banned" contest?

You're pretty much the king, so we can just give you first place, while we fight for second.

It was a serious question.

The answer is yes!

A banning contest against the Nintendo side?  Better think twice about that.  I've seen how that works.

Just finishing my popcorn now. thank you all for the lovely piece of entertainment

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
theprof00 said:

don't get me banned, I know your tricks.

If I know you like I think I do, saying yes to that question is probably bannable itself....

If you know me well enough, then you know that I am against this.

I remember you saying that you don't report except very rarely, but I also know you've gotten me banned a dozen times :D

Oh, also I know you're against the mods cracking down. But maybe at least temporarily I can see my report button working.

I am against reports too... I used only one time to say my own thread was duplicated.

I am also against reporting but that's only because I thought everyone else was.
Last week I was banned 3 days for saying, "MS, are you even trying", in a thread about how Sony just like gave me 10 dollars for doing nothing.
Clearly, the report buttons are working now, and people are using them, given the evidence, so I thought about it, and it sounds find. Before, I don't think it was working because I've reported things like flaming and trolling and nothing happens.

My last status update pretty much sums it up.

axumblade said:
People seem to think we were banning people just because JayWood said that trolling wouldn't be tolerated. The reason people were banned is because he was talking about a sale on a service that he thought others would be interested in and all certain users wanted to do was write about how they disliked the service, which was derailing the topic and considered trolling because instead of adding to the conversation, they complained about it being a paid service. It's also spamming because it doesn't contribute to conversation either. And flaming because it creates arguments and discourse between users.

It was an EXTREMELY strict passing of that judgement, and I hold you to continuing that level of service, because I see much worse everyday and nothing happens. I also expect that you will ban the people I reported in that thread. If you'd like, I can start a thread tracking all the posts I'm reporting, and then we can compare what is getting reported to what is getting banned for everyone to see.