By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The bans in Jaywood's thread are laudable

pezus said:
thismeintiel said:
I guess if I get something positive out of this it's this: If we have a Sony thread talking about a certain sales milestone and MS fans come and start talking about Sony's financial situation, I can report them and fully expect them to get warned or banned.

Yep. And this is guaranteed to happen every.single.time. Or about GOTY awards and then someone mentions that sales are lower than some game they prefer.

I guess for both examples it depends on the OP. If the OP states: XY has reached X millions or was chosen GOTY, happy times - than such a thing would be wrong. If the OP says: XY has reached X millions/is GOTY, that shows it is better than the other stuff - in that case I think other opinions are fine.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
Mnementh said:

And the thread you don't want to name is JayWoods thread about a XBL-discount that was heavily derailed by people that want VGC to be a bad place for discussions.

the bold in the second sentence, i'm not buying. sometime it's trolling that creates the ability to drive discussion, as does derailment of a thread. it's all about taking the bait.

Hmm, I was overexaggerating. I don't really think these people intently want VGC to become a bad place, but I think that will be the result of such actions. That's why I agree with the bans. Also it might not be a bad place for discussion itself, you're right on this, but a bad placce for civil discussions.

don't take the bait!!!! there's lots of discussion to be had. you just have to create/find it. i ranted a month ago about the lack of post in game related topic's, but some said that's all i posted, which means we need discussion on other topic's. 

i'm the kind of person that would make a thread, see it get out of control, and have it locked.

theprof00 said:
J_Allard said:
Yeah I understand that's what he meant. The two situations are not the same. Nor are threads about sales accomplishments. You guys wanna find a comparable PS3 thread for future ban bickering, think of a PS+ thread or something. Like you post a thread about Red Dead Redemption finally being free on PS+. Someone replies saying "LOL its 2013 get with the times Steam does everything PS+ does for free" or "FREE LOL" or "anything more than $0 for this service is too much"... those are the type of stupid, irrelevant replies that got people banned in that thread.

Debating the merits of a GOTY award or the importance of some sales accomplishment are not the same thing. I think you guys will be sorely disappointed.

the problem is people don't get banned for those things despite being reported.

You keep going on about people should be banned for this or that, but your no Angel yourself..

TheJimbo1234 said:
Play4Fun said:
TheJimbo1234 said:
walsufnir said:
TheJimbo1234 said:
The guy was offering a deal.....what was with the zealots coming out in force? Strange how everyone jumps at the first opportunity nowadays to justify why they are better than someone else for what they bought.

That is what it's all about. "I am better than you because I chose the more successful product" seems to dominate many ppls thoughts. The social dysfunctions are quite obvious here. But keep in mind that we have "war"-times: PS4 is to launch this year, nextbox also. The arguments have to be repositioned and weapons have to be loaded so that the beloved company can finally rule the world! :)

...and then Apple launch a console ! Game over man, game over!

Though what I find so ironic is that it is electonrics so you can simply go "mines more powerful, here are the figures, thus I win", but no one bothers to learn the basics. It's like they actually want to argue and not have a decisive out come.

But that being said, if the nextbox is media focused, we might see a big shift in people quoting terraflops and using that as the crowning factor.

Except that wouldn't and doesn't work for obvious reasons...

For example: PS2 and Xbox. It's pretty obvious which was the better console.

See? This is what I'm on about.

a) were pretty much had the same power. The difference was negligible.

b) it was the game library that made them both good in their own ways. One had GT3-4, the other had Halo. One had DMC, they other, Fable.

a) *Laughs*

b) Aaahh...so people can't just 'learn the basics' and simply say :  "mines more powerful, here are the figures, thus I win" like you said? There can't really be a decisive outcome?

Okay then, I guess you get it.

Nsanity said:
theprof00 said:
J_Allard said:
Yeah I understand that's what he meant. The two situations are not the same. Nor are threads about sales accomplishments. You guys wanna find a comparable PS3 thread for future ban bickering, think of a PS+ thread or something. Like you post a thread about Red Dead Redemption finally being free on PS+. Someone replies saying "LOL its 2013 get with the times Steam does everything PS+ does for free" or "FREE LOL" or "anything more than $0 for this service is too much"... those are the type of stupid, irrelevant replies that got people banned in that thread.

Debating the merits of a GOTY award or the importance of some sales accomplishment are not the same thing. I think you guys will be sorely disappointed.

the problem is people don't get banned for those things despite being reported.

You keep going on about people should be banned for this or that, but your no Angel yourself..

'you're no Angel'

Yeah, I know I'm no angel, and I never said I was. I still get banned. They still do not. I can try to make it simpler to understand, but it's nearing maximum simplicity, Nsan.

Around the Network

No they shouldn't.

Again, you guys are going to be pretty disappointed with these ban expectations.

J_Allard said:

If this is the new precedent , then you are wrong.  If you go into a pro-Sony thread or a GOTY thread, where the OP doesn't specifically ask for the opposing sides input, and start talking about Sony's financials or how you think that game is overrated , then you can be moderated if someone reports you.

The overreaction by you guys I gotta say, it's pretty adorable.

Again, prepare to be disappointed.

thismeintiel said:
J_Allard said:

If this is the new precedent , then you are wrong.  If you go into a pro-Sony thread or a GOTY thread, where the OP doesn't specifically ask for the opposing sides input, and start talking about Sony's financials or how you think that game is overrated , then you can be moderated if someone reports you.

I can see bringing up Sony's financials being off topic but saying the game is overrated is very much on topic since we're talking about a game that's supposed to be better than all the others during the year.

Signature goes here!

pezus said:
^Yes, I'm only talking about if someone goes and mentions sales in a thread about Metascores/GOTY awards or the like.

@J_Allard: Of course, I'm not expecting similar treatment in many other threads.

Sales can be relevant to a metascore thread too. Ex.: "Even with a score of a 95 on Metacritic, XYZ didn't sell more than 1 million copies, is this genre dying?"

Signature goes here!