By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The bans in Jaywood's thread are laudable

walsufnir said:
TheJimbo1234 said:
The guy was offering a deal.....what was with the zealots coming out in force? Strange how everyone jumps at the first opportunity nowadays to justify why they are better than someone else for what they bought.

That is what it's all about. "I am better than you because I chose the more successful product" seems to dominate many ppls thoughts. The social dysfunctions are quite obvious here. But keep in mind that we have "war"-times: PS4 is to launch this year, nextbox also. The arguments have to be repositioned and weapons have to be loaded so that the beloved company can finally rule the world! :)

and to think the gamers that never posted on forums haven't thought twice about their product being better or worse.

Around the Network
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
walsufnir said:
TheJimbo1234 said:
The guy was offering a deal.....what was with the zealots coming out in force? Strange how everyone jumps at the first opportunity nowadays to justify why they are better than someone else for what they bought.

That is what it's all about. "I am better than you because I chose the more successful product" seems to dominate many ppls thoughts. The social dysfunctions are quite obvious here. But keep in mind that we have "war"-times: PS4 is to launch this year, nextbox also. The arguments have to be repositioned and weapons have to be loaded so that the beloved company can finally rule the world! :)

and to think the gamers that never posted on forums haven't thought twice about their product being better or worse.

Of course ppl buy products because of their individual reasons which they look at and decide. To me, there is no arguing about personal flavors.

Chrizum said:
Mr Khan said:
XBL should be free (it really should be).

Reported for trying to stir up fanboys.

not sure if serious, but when i think about everything else like netflix that you have to pay for. the added cost of PSN+ or live, shouldn't be there. but XBL you have to have just to use your netflix subscription.

that makes it seem like you're being nickel and dimed. i'm not paying for live, just so i can watch the netflix i've already paid for. they have tv's that can get netflix, and you don't have to pay another service just to watch netflix. 

RolStoppable said:
theprof00 said:
Mnementh said:

And another one who doesn't get the difference about an opinion-thread and a thread that has some service for fans of the subject of the thread. So you would like people to come into threads about which games are offered for free next on PSN+ who say that XBL is better than PSN. And others may enter a thread organizing Multiplayer-sessions in Uncharted that say Uncharted lacks the depth Tomb Raider has. As you see no difference between these trheads and threads where the OP states he likes Uncharted more than Tomb Raider.

And what about a person who goes into one of those threads for matchmaking and is like, 'thanks for the offer, but I just started playing tomb raider which is really fun. I'd say if you like uncharted, get tomb raider, I think you'll like it better tbh'.

That would qualify as trolling, according to the context of the thread that shall not be named.

Depends on who says it. If a known Xbox fan entered such a thread to say this, then I wouldn't be surprised to see a hostile reaction from Uncharted fans. Neither would it surprise me, if such a reaction was exactly what that Xbox fan was looking for. So yes, in such a case it would qualify as trolling.

Yes, and there is a very fine line there, which is why I argue that rules should be enforced over common sense. If it were to lead to too many bans, I would say a revision of the specific rule is required, but to have that situation where the actual person posting the information is deemed o be the determining factor between trolling and discussing, well that leads to problems.

walsufnir said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
walsufnir said:
TheJimbo1234 said:

Of course ppl buy products because of their individual reasons which they look at and decide. To me, there is no arguing about personal flavors.

love the way you put that. personal flavors always dictates purchasing habbits, and for the consumer it's subject to change at anytime.

Around the Network

He shouldn't have had to ask people not to troll the thread.

TheJimbo1234 said:
walsufnir said:
TheJimbo1234 said:

...and then Apple launch a console ! Game over man, game over!

Though what I find so ironic is that it is electonrics so you can simply go "mines more powerful, here are the figures, thus I win", but no one bothers to learn the basics. It's like they actually want to argue and not have a decisive out come.

But that being said, if the nextbox is media focused, we might see a big shift in people quoting terraflops and using that as the crowning factor.

Except that wouldn't and doesn't work for obvious reasons...

For example: PS2 and Xbox. It's pretty obvious which was the better console.

Play4Fun said:
TheJimbo1234 said:
walsufnir said:
TheJimbo1234 said:

...and then Apple launch a console ! Game over man, game over!

Though what I find so ironic is that it is electonrics so you can simply go "mines more powerful, here are the figures, thus I win", but no one bothers to learn the basics. It's like they actually want to argue and not have a decisive out come.

But that being said, if the nextbox is media focused, we might see a big shift in people quoting terraflops and using that as the crowning factor.

Except that wouldn't and doesn't work for obvious reasons...

For example: PS2 and Xbox. It's pretty obvious which was the better console.

See? This is what I'm on about.

a) were pretty much had the same power. The difference was negligible.

b) it was the game library that made them both good in their own ways. One had GT3-4, the other had Halo. One had DMC, they other, Fable.

RolStoppable said:
theprof00 said:
RolStoppable said:

Depends on who says it. If a known Xbox fan entered such a thread to say this, then I wouldn't be surprised to see a hostile reaction from Uncharted fans. Neither would it surprise me, if such a reaction was exactly what that Xbox fan was looking for. So yes, in such a case it would qualify as trolling.

Yes, and there is a very fine line there, which is why I argue that rules should be enforced over common sense. If it were to lead to too many bans, I would say a revision of the specific rule is required, but to have that situation where the actual person posting the information is deemed o be the determining factor between trolling and discussing, well that leads to problems.

But if posting history isn't taken into account, then that leads to problems too. The mods are pretty much screwed whatever they do and as soon as five percent of their monthly moderations appear to be questionable, it's made out to be a huge problem.

I just want to make sure you understand that my position isn't that the recent moderations are a huge problem, but rather that it's I find it a bit one-sided. For instance, with jaywood...why did he get away with calling three people childish? I want Jaywood to know that I have no problem with him, but it did irk me that he came in here, was really reasonable, even going so far as to say that he understands and agrees, and then turns around, posts a link to my thread in his own, and calls me childish, when he was already warned for insults that day.

It's a lot more complex than you're making it out to be. I don't want them to abandon the "common sense law", but I would appreciate a lot of clarification.

theprof00 said:

And what about a person who goes into one of those threads for matchmaking and is like, 'thanks for the offer, but I just started playing tomb raider which is really fun. I'd say if you like uncharted, get tomb raider, I think you'll like it better tbh'.

That would qualify as trolling, according to the context of the thread that shall not be named.

Yeah, go on and claim mods have no common sense. The bans were justified including the ban of Jaywood.

And the thread you don't want to name is JayWoods thread about a XBL-discount that was heavily derailed by people that want VGC to be a bad place for discussions.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]