By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Samsung building up Galaxy 4 hype

I was saying rumours about an expected production of 100 million units, compared to S3's 40 million sales to date (that can still reach almost 60 millions). If it's confirmed, that will be a great milestone for Sammy. I'm looking forward to see how much the new Exynos architeture with 4 poweful cores and 4 economic ones will improve battery-life for this one.

Besides that, I would still prefer a Nexus 4 if I was planning buy a smartphone now. The Nexus 7 really showed me that a Nexus is better than any other thing that any company can release by its own.

Around the Network
torok said:
 I'm looking forward to see how much the new Exynos architeture with 4 poweful cores and 4 economic ones will improve battery-life for this one.

It's a nice idea but don't expect anything because software and the OS isn't written to take advantage of it.

AMD had to disable individual core clocking and power states on one of their CPUs shortly after release because Windows screwed it over.

Soleron said:
torok said:
 I'm looking forward to see how much the new Exynos architeture with 4 poweful cores and 4 economic ones will improve battery-life for this one.

It's a nice idea but don't expect anything because software and the OS isn't written to take advantage of it.

AMD had to disable individual core clocking and power states on one of their CPUs shortly after release because Windows screwed it over.

The power management features with the groups of 4-cores isn't managed by the OS. The new BIG.little ARM architeture manages it at processor level, without any need to solve it at OS level, actually the OS will only see 4 cores all the time. When talking about multi-core support, it is handled by the Linux kernel on Android, that have a amazing and complete support for multiple cores processors and can manage much more than 8 cores. Actually, Android can handle multiple cores with ease thanks to that. As any app uses a new instance of the Java virtual machine (Dalvik), it's pretty easy for the OS to distribute instances to different cores, so Android is heavily optimized for multi-core processing.

torok said:
Soleron said:
torok said:

The power management features with the groups of 4-cores isn't managed by the OS. The new BIG.little ARM architeture manages it at processor level, without any need to solve it at OS level, actually the OS will only see 4 cores all the time. When talking about multi-core support, it is handled by the Linux kernel on Android, that have a amazing and complete support for multiple cores processors and can manage much more than 8 cores. Actually, Android can handle multiple cores with ease thanks to that. As any app uses a new instance of the Java virtual machine (Dalvik), it's pretty easy for the OS to distribute instances to different cores, so Android is heavily optimized for multi-core processing.

I expect it to be functional, but although I agree with what you have written, I don't think it'll see gains anything like the slides claim.

Soleron said:
torok said:
Soleron said:
torok said:

I expect it to be functional, but although I agree with what you have written, I don't think it'll see gains anything like the slides claim.

Does anything ever acheive what the slides claim?

Around the Network

Can't wait to see the next Nexus variant. That's likely my next phone, but this S4 is looking good. I just don't like OEM layers in the OS. Pure Android is >>>>> anything else.

Scoobes said:

Does anything ever acheive what the slides claim?

Intel's Conroe.

Everything else in tech... nope.

superchunk said:
Can't wait to see the next Nexus variant. That's likely my next phone, but this S4 is looking good. I just don't like OEM layers in the OS. Pure Android is >>>>> anything else.

That's not out until May though is it? Not sure I'm willing to wait! It's between this and the Xperia Z at the moment.

Yeah... boring.

Phones look way to alike lately. I probably buy a new Blackberry... at least it looks different from the million iPhone knockoffs the market is making every day (Samsung being by far the biggest offender). I don't brows the web on my phone, I have a PC for that and it does it far better, and then some.

But that's maybe because I am not a fucking insecure shit, who thinks that if I miss my morning Facebook post, I will loose all connections with my "friends".

I cant wait until developers start looking at original designs again. man I miss the mid of last decade, when Nokia, Motorola, SE, Samsung, RIM all wanted to catch out attention with different form factors.

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Soleron said:

Just the fact that Samsung is claiming that it is an 8-core processor when it isn't shows that we have to take any number from them with caution. I found some leaked data from a supposed benchmark on GS4. Looks on par with what I expect, but it could be fake: