By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony Japan president: PS Vita sales have increased four-fold

Heavenly_King said:
well, I think he is talking about shipments. So if they ship normally 20k, now it would be like 80k, and all is sold out at the stores :)

How can they possibly ship 20k a week "normally" when they only sold like 5-10k units per week for about a year?

OT I don't know what number he was refering to with his fourfold comment but I am pretty sure that Vita sales will be higher than 44k. The only way I can imagine for the sales to be this low is that people where trying to get the silver version and when that was sold out they were just going home.

Ongoing bet with think-man: He wins if MH4 releases in any shape or form on PSV in 2013, I win if it doesn't.

Around the Network
fedfed said:
less then 75k is a flop if you ask me. they are just moving stock 44k does not make a massive difference from a profit point of you.

If it sold 75k or more it would be outselling the 3ds in japan which would be incredible. You Nintendo fanboys are ridiculous, unless it beats the 3ds in sales in japan where 60% of the 3ds are sold it is a flop. great logic if you ask me.

-this user was moderated for this post by amp316

Chandler said:
Heavenly_King said:
well, I think he is talking about shipments. So if they ship normally 20k, now it would be like 80k, and all is sold out at the stores :)

How can they possibly ship 20k a week "normally" when they only sold like 5-10k units per week for about a year?

It's like they had a price cut coming and we're stockpiling retailers with units. There are also 2 different models in 4 different colors and you have to have stock of each one. We know this didn't happen entirely because there was several sellouts. In all liklihood, the only data Sony could have at this short notice is just retailers requesting more units. Nothing to really derive a whole lot from.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

GribbleGrunger said:

It's still a good sign

It's a terrible sign if even a big price cut isn't enough to spur Vita sales enough.

50k doesn't seem too bad to me, the challenge for Vita is sustaining decent numbers, at least double what the average us currently in Japan over the next couple months and onward. I think the price cut will help them do that.

I think Sony should be content if this is true. 3DS saw a much larger spike with its price cut, but its sales had also hit a real low point. The real test will be in sustained interest. Historically price custs give you a 50-100% plus increse in sales. PSVita absolutely needs to see this level of increase at this stage or you start to question its future.

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
Chandler said:
Heavenly_King said:

It's like they had a price cut coming and we're stockpiling retailers with units. There are also 2 different models in 4 different colors and you have to have stock of each one. We know this didn't happen entirely because there was several sellouts. In all liklihood, the only data Sony could have at this short notice is just retailers requesting more units. Nothing to really derive a whole lot from.

I see two options with shipment numbers. First, four time of their normal shipment rates, which will be in no way 20k units per week since retailers would have vitas coming out of their asses by now. Second, 4 times increase of their pre-price cut shipment numbers, which are probably considerably higher due to new color shipping and channel stuffing in preparation for the increased demand. The second option sounds honestly unlikely because I think the rep would have mentioned something like that because he is underselling the numbers when he doesn't mention ist and I don't think Sony is known for underselling.

Bottom line is we don't know what number he derived his increase from, so let's wait for wednesday.

Ongoing bet with think-man: He wins if MH4 releases in any shape or form on PSV in 2013, I win if it doesn't.

So after a year on the market, a price cut, and games it still continues to sell like crap. Unlike Sony, Ninty will surely save WiiU well before its first year is completed. That's the difference between Vita and WiiU, it won't take anywhere near as long to save it.

Four fold with two high profile games (wrt Vita) is not THAT impressive. Ok results though, and Vita should at least have a decent run. Hopefully it won't decline rapidly over the next few weeks, but I think it will.

Btw 3DS went from 20-30k a week (20k was the baseline with intermittent boosts from games and colors to 30k and beyond) to around 200k the week of the pricecut without much games around it, although it had lots of promise for the holidays. So yeah Vita is not impressive at all imo..

007BondAgent said:

i think he meant the previous two weeks combined

which makes more sence

Even so, 3DS sold 200,000 units in pricecut week WITHOUT super big releases and WITHOUT big releases til november . There's no isteria for Super Pokemon Scrumble with 80K debut (even Kagura is way better with 120K). In this range Vita with 80K max going to drop to 10-15K range soon, it doesn't have any million sellers on the horizon to hold it higher, and mid-tier titles can't do it in a long term, too. So yeah, 80K with marketed pricecut push is a failure((

Meret said:
007BondAgent said:

i think he meant the previous two weeks combined

which makes more sence

Even so, 3DS sold 200,000 units in pricecut week WITHOUT super big releases and WITHOUT big releases til november . There's no isteria for Super Pokemon Scrumble with 80K debut (even Kagura is way better with 120K). In this range Vita with 80K max going to drop to 10-15K range soon, it doesn't have any million sellers on the horizon to hold it higher, and mid-tier titles can't do it in a long term, too. So yeah, 80K with marketed pricecut push is a failure((

Pretty sure 3DS had Mario Kart 7 and something release on or right after the price cut.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.