By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony Japan president: PS Vita sales have increased four-fold

Chandler said:
outlawauron said:
Chandler said:
Heavenly_King said:
well, I think he is talking about shipments. So if they ship normally 20k, now it would be like 80k, and all is sold out at the stores :)

How can they possibly ship 20k a week "normally" when they only sold like 5-10k units per week for about a year?

It's like they had a price cut coming and we're stockpiling retailers with units. There are also 2 different models in 4 different colors and you have to have stock of each one. We know this didn't happen entirely because there was several sellouts. In all liklihood, the only data Sony could have at this short notice is just retailers requesting more units. Nothing to really derive a whole lot from.

Bottom line is we don't know what number he derived his increase from, so let's wait for wednesday.

Agreed. We can't really draw anything from this, but they'd have to say something if only for PR reasons.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
Meret said:
007BondAgent said:

i think he meant the previous two weeks combined

which makes more sence

Even so, 3DS sold 200,000 units in pricecut week WITHOUT super big releases and WITHOUT big releases til november . There's no isteria for Super Pokemon Scrumble with 80K debut (even Kagura is way better with 120K). In this range Vita with 80K max going to drop to 10-15K range soon, it doesn't have any million sellers on the horizon to hold it higher, and mid-tier titles can't do it in a long term, too. So yeah, 80K with marketed pricecut push is a failure((

Pretty sure 3DS had Mario Kart 7 and something release on or right after the price cut.

3DS pricecut happend in summer, MK7 released in december (SM 3D Land debuted in the beginning of november). During pricecut week 3DS received Super Pokemon Scrumble with sales of 80-90K (lower than Kagura for Vita, nothing special).

After all, it's Sony's problem that system isn't having anything as big in its 2nd year on the market.Pretty pathetic.

Lower than I expected, but perhaps they did not have that much left in the the channel.

Like people have already said, even if the sales for this week are good I'm more worried about the following weeks after it. If it drops off again back to how it was selling before the price-cut I don't know what more Sony can do.
It really saddens me to see this system underperforming in the sales charts like it has been doing, such a fantastic piece of hardware with a good range of games out for it.

007BondAgent said:
DirtyP2002 said:

sounds like it keeps on underperforming.

it was only a $50 pricecut for the love of god

For one of the models was a 30%, just like the one for 3DS.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network
pezus said:
fedfed said:
less then 75k is a flop if you ask me. they are just moving stock 44k does not make a massive difference from a profit point of you.

Ok. Ask me what I consider a flop when the WiiU gets its eventual price cut. Let me be the ultimate judge.

Unfortunately for you I think Wii U will pick up much quicker than that and second are we talking about PS Vita here or not. I may be a Nintendo fan boy but i have never mentioned WIi U or 3DS in my answer...

my 75k are just based on what Japan can easily buy and tehy have showed us in more than one occasion for both SOny or Nintendo if the price is more affordable I am assuming that people will want to buy the console. If 44k is a real number and it is not due of sold out we can assume that the interest for Vita is quite little.

Switch!!!

@fedfed Now you see first hand the WiiU hate is just from hurt feelings over the Vitas flop. Look at how Pezus and the other Sony fans come in mentioning WiiU lol. Vita has a price cut and gets games and still flops? 3DS price cut came with nothing more and 3DS still did much better. I guess becuz they knew Mario is coming something WiiU has in common with 3DS.

Bitfreak said:

Like people have already said, even if the sales for this week are good I'm more worried about the following weeks after it. If it drops off again back to how it was selling before the price-cut I don't know what more Sony can do.
It really saddens me to see this system underperforming in the sales charts like it has been doing, such a fantastic piece of hardware with a good range of games out for it.

Someone had to say it.

OT: Well, we definitely need to wait for numbers, both from this week and next's. Still, 4 times sounds rather impressive, but then you check the base line, and the total, and ....well, it's not that impressive. Games will be arriving on a constant basis for the next weeks, let's see how HW performs. But, people shouldn't set their expectations too high, and be prepared for dissapointments.

It's a start, but a very disappointing start if you ask me. Anything below 50k is a bad sign. Wasn't phantasy star released the same week?

i hope the trend continues. Sony needs more/stronger software for Vita.