By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The real reason why 3rd party games do not sell well on Nintendo hardware

fordy said:
Pristine20 said:
fordy said:
Pristine20 said:
fordy said:
Pristine20 said:

Dude, I don't care whether 3rd parties sell on Nintendo systems or not. What irks me is when people claim Nintendo games are holy grail and the rest of us are unevolved peasants for not liking them and preferring our graphics, QTE or whatever it is they chose to condemn on any given day.

yes, some of us like our graphics, our FPS games, our "movie" games and what-have-you. Guess I don't deserve to play games then lmao.

It really depends on what one considers a game and what one considers an "interactive movie".

If you control the outcomes, it's a game IMO. The more important thing than the classification is that it's entertainment. That's ultimately why we play gemes. If the quasi-game is entertaining, it has served it's purpose.

I didn't like Heavy Rain btw and dont like QTE and prefer Ninja Gaiden to God of War for that very reason. However, I know people that do like the mechanic so you  would never hear me bashing it. It's not for you, move on. Claiming others dont know what "games" are or what-have-you is just unnecessary

I once saw a game called "Who wants to be a Millionaire" that played on DVD players. Essentially it was like a DVD menu and it took you to another movie clip depending on which one you took.

Would that be classed as a game?

Yes, If "Imagine: babiez" is a game, I don't see why not.

So why aren't we hearing crap about why the DVD player is suffering because of its lack of games?

Eh....because it's not a dedicated gaming machine/device? Who wants to be a millionaire was also on ps2...just so you know.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Around the Network
fordy said:

Yet you seem absolutely concerned when someone mentions that perhaps Nintendo's titles are off tio high of a quality for 3rd parties to effectively compete...

Think you might have to google the definition of the word 'concerned' is.  You keep using that term but I don't think it means what you think it means. Because you are mixing that up with disagreement. I think it's absolute nonsense thinking nintendo first party is superior to another. It's a subjective matter. For example I think Sony first party games are much much better than the Nintendo first party. Doesn't make it a fact.

The notion that ninty fans somehow have a better taste than others or ninty first party games are so much better than 3rd party games or PS/360 first party games is damage control at its finest. 

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Soundwave said:
fordy said:
Soundwave said:
Top Third Party games by Generation (games on Nintendo platforms are bolded)

NES-Sega Master System Era:

Megaman 2 (NES exclusive)
Final Fantasy (NES exclusive)
Contra (NES exclusive)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (NES exclusive)
Wizards & Warriors (NES exclusive)
Ninja Gaiden (NES specific)

SNES-Genesis Era:

Street Fighter II - Timed Exclusive to SNES
Contra III - Timed Exclusive to SNES
Final Fantasy VI - SNES Exclusive
Mortal Kombat - Multi-plat
NBA Jam - Multi-plat
Chrono Trigger - SNES Exclusive
Super Star Wars - SNES Exclusive

PS1-N64 Era:

Final Fantasy VII - Not on N64
Resident Evil - Not on N64
Resident Evil 2 - On N64 (2 years later)
Metal Gear Solid - Not on N64
Tekken 3 - Not on N64
Final Fantasy VIII - Not on N64
Tomb Raider - Not on N64

PS2-GCN-XBox Era

Grand Theft Auto III - Not on GameCube
Devil May Cry - Not on GameCube
Resident Evil 4 - Timed Exclusive to GameCube
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas - Not on GameCube
Metal Gear Solid II - Not on GameCube
Tony Hawk Pro Skater - Multi-plat
Dragon Quest VIII - Not on GameCube
Final Fantasy X - Not on GameCube

Wii-360-PS3

Call of Duty - On Wii, but heavily downgraded
BioShock - Not on Wii
Metal Gear Solid 4 - Not on Wii
Battlefield 3 - Not on Wii
Skyrim - Not on Wii
Left 4 Dead - Not on Wii
Final Fantasy XIII - Not on Wii
Guitar Hero - Multi-plat

After the SNES, Nintendo's standing with third parties has completely fallen apart and they've become more of a speciality console manufacturer outside of the Wii craze from 2006-2010.

What's your point? It seems to be causing you concern for some reason...

It's to the OP's point, yes third party games don't sell well on Nintendo platforms, but for the last 15+ years, Nintendo platforms by and large have been shut out of the top third party franchises. 

I don't ever recall hearing this "third parties don't sell on Nintendo platforms" nonsense during the NES and SNES days (and yes I was gaming back then). A lot of the most popular NES games were not made by Nintendo back then and probably the most popular SNES game was Street Fighter II, that was *the* "gotta have it" game for most of the SNES cycle. 

Your graph left out 1st party titles altogether. If you're only listing top 3rd party games across all systems, I don;t see how this has any correlation between 1st party and 3rd party. There could have been tons of 1st party ahead of the 1st 3rd party...

If I see a "gotta have it" game on  non-Nintendo console during this day and age, I'll let you know...

fordy said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
fordy said:
M.U.G.E.N said:

hahah well aren't you a sensitive fellow. If you don't think Ninty or wiiu owners should be concerened about 3rd party support...well w/e makes you happy. 

Jealous? >_> Not sure if serious or just paranoid. The one having a hard time dealing with reality is you it seems. It's ok rage some more :) This is entertaining

Once again, you're an American in India asking for hotdogs....

You need to accept the fact that Nintendo consoles don't work the same way that you'd like them to, and people are happy enough. Stirring all this shit up about "why no 3rd party sales" makes the majority not give a shit.

I'm starting to think you are talking to the wrong person...because you're ranting on on subjects I haven't even talked about initially

First off I'm sure you can find Hot Dogs in india >_> What a random and useless analogy

I have no issue accepting different consoles, different user base etc have different tastes. I don't have a 'preference' on how any side should act or react. I was responding to the OP and the stupid comments made in it. IF nintendo fans are happy with getting inferior ports or no port at all for the most part..IF wiiu fans are happy with dry spells of games for the system...IF Nintendo themselves are happy about the support and sales...I see absolutely no issue with things. I for one do not care how Nintendo or their systems do. I do hope they do well.but I don't really care to a point to be concerned about it. Hope that makes things clearer for you

Yet you seem absolutely concerned when someone mentions that perhaps Nintendo's titles are off tio high of a quality for 3rd parties to effectively compete...

Err... you know this is a forum right? He's supposed to respond and debate, especially if he disagree with the OP assessment.

Nintendo's games aren't so much higher quality than third parties, I'd say only the two Mario Galaxy games last gen were better than the majority of the high end third party releases.

I don't buy that.

Sorry but Mario Party, Metroid Other M, Wii Music, Animal Crossing: City Folk, NSMB Wii, etc. are not hands down better than a lot of the top third party games last gen.

Nintendo platforms simply don't receive most of the big third party games.

Even look at the Wii U

Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 - On Wii U
Assassin's Creed 3 - On Wii U
Metal Gear Rising - Not on Wii U
Grand Theft Auto V - Not on Wii U
Crysis 3 - Not on Wii U
BioShock Infinite - Not on Wii U
Batman: Arkham City - On Wii (1 year late)
Borderlands 2 - Not on Wii U
Resident Evil 5 - Not on Wii U

Most of the big third party releases are not on Wii U.

Around the Network
Pristine20 said:
fordy said:
Pristine20 said:
fordy said:
Pristine20 said:
fordy said:
Pristine20 said:

Dude, I don't care whether 3rd parties sell on Nintendo systems or not. What irks me is when people claim Nintendo games are holy grail and the rest of us are unevolved peasants for not liking them and preferring our graphics, QTE or whatever it is they chose to condemn on any given day.

yes, some of us like our graphics, our FPS games, our "movie" games and what-have-you. Guess I don't deserve to play games then lmao.

It really depends on what one considers a game and what one considers an "interactive movie".

If you control the outcomes, it's a game IMO. The more important thing than the classification is that it's entertainment. That's ultimately why we play gemes. If the quasi-game is entertaining, it has served it's purpose.

I didn't like Heavy Rain btw and dont like QTE and prefer Ninja Gaiden to God of War for that very reason. However, I know people that do like the mechanic so you  would never hear me bashing it. It's not for you, move on. Claiming others dont know what "games" are or what-have-you is just unnecessary

I once saw a game called "Who wants to be a Millionaire" that played on DVD players. Essentially it was like a DVD menu and it took you to another movie clip depending on which one you took.

Would that be classed as a game?

Yes, If "Imagine: babiez" is a game, I don't see why not.

So why aren't we hearing crap about why the DVD player is suffering because of its lack of games?

Eh....because it's not a dedicated gaming machine/device? Who wants to be a millionaire was also on ps2...just so you know.

It could be on the Atari 2600 for all I care...

The point is, if Nintendo owners buy a Nintendo console knowing that ther eiwll be lack of 3rd party support, they're most likely doing so for something OTHER THAN 3rd party support...

Soundwave said:

Top Third Party games by Generation (games on Nintendo platforms are bolded)

NES-Sega Master System Era:

Megaman 2 (NES exclusive)
Final Fantasy (NES exclusive)
Contra (NES exclusive)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (NES exclusive)
Wizards & Warriors (NES exclusive)
Metal Gear (NES specific)

SNES-Genesis Era:

Street Fighter II - Timed Exclusive to SNES
Contra III - Timed Exclusive to SNES
Final Fantasy VI - SNES Exclusive
Mortal Kombat - Multi-plat
NBA Jam - Multi-plat
Chrono Trigger - SNES Exclusive
Super Star Wars - SNES Exclusive

PS1-N64 Era:

Final Fantasy VII - Not on N64
Resident Evil - Not on N64
Resident Evil 2 - On N64 (2 years later)
Metal Gear Solid - Not on N64
Tekken 3 - Not on N64
Final Fantasy VIII - Not on N64
Tomb Raider - Not on N64

PS2-GCN-XBox Era

Grand Theft Auto III - Not on GameCube
Devil May Cry - Not on GameCube
Resident Evil 4 - Timed Exclusive to GameCube
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas - Not on GameCube
Metal Gear Solid II - Not on GameCube
Tony Hawk Pro Skater - Multi-plat
Dragon Quest VIII - Not on GameCube
Final Fantasy X - Not on GameCube

Wii-360-PS3

Call of Duty - On Wii, but heavily downgraded
BioShock - Not on Wii
Metal Gear Solid 4 - Not on Wii
Battlefield 3 - Not on Wii
Skyrim - Not on Wii
Left 4 Dead - Not on Wii
Final Fantasy XIII - Not on Wii
Guitar Hero - Multi-plat

After the SNES, Nintendo's standing with third parties has completely fallen apart and they've become more of a speciality console manufacturer outside of the Wii craze from 2006-2010.

Actually this kinda backs my point. Look at the snes era where 3rd party offerings were of a very high quality on a nintendo system, and  to this day the highest selling Street fighter game is on the snes although the snes had a smaller userbase than the ps1 , ps2 and I think ps3.

My 3ds friendcode: 5413-0232-9676 (G-cyber)

Soriku said:
mrstickball said:
Very wrong.

Let's take the Wii for example - using Metacritic's top scores for 3rd party Wii games:

Rock Band 2 - 1.00 Million Units Sold
Xenoblade Chronicles - 0.83 Million Units Sold
Rayman Origins - 0.42 Million Units Sold
Resident Evil 4 Wii - 2.13 Million Units Sold
Okami - 0.52 Million Units Sold

Those are the top 5, 3rd party games on the Wii. Two were over 1 million units. That's absolutely horrendous for games that have a >90 Metacritic score.

You can defend it all you want, but even the fantastic Wii titles like Xenoblade have pitiful sales worldwide. Had Xenoblade been an HD affair, it would have likely sold 3-4 times as many copies, worldwide.

The Wii/WiiU caters towards a specific crowd. That specific crowd does not buy large amounts of non-Nintendo core titles. Comparatively, the 3DS/DS appeal to almost everyone, and 3rd party sales are generally better among top-tier titles.

Xenoblade is a first party game. It's also overtracked so that helps your debate. But then your agument falls apart if you actually believe a JRPG like Xenoblade could sell 2.5-3+ million worldwide on HD consoles. That's just laughable. Point me to one JRPG on HD consoles that's not FF that has sold similarly.

Okami didn't sell well on PS2 either.

Dark Souls is at 2.1 million units and climbing. Add in PC, and its closer to 2.4 million.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

M.U.G.E.N said:
fordy said:

Think you might have to google the definition of the word 'concerned' is.  You keep using that term but I don't think it means what you think it means. Because you are mixing that up with disagreement. I think it's absolute nonsense thinking nintendo first party is superior to another. It's a subjective matter. For example I think Sony first party games are much much better than the Nintendo first party. Doesn't make it a fact.

The notion that ninty fans somehow have a better taste than others or ninty first party games are so much better than 3rd party games or PS/360 first party games is damage control at its finest. 

You knew it was subjective, so you decided to jump in. Oh wonderful thought process!

Do you go jumping in offering your opinion at EVERY show of free speech that you don't agree with, too?

You're contradicting yourself in the same goddamn post! You just said it's subjective, yet you say that they're attempting dmaage control. How about you listen to your own advice and take it as "subjective" analogy. You're attempting to have your cake and eat it too!

Scoobes said:
fordy said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
fordy said:
M.U.G.E.N said:

hahah well aren't you a sensitive fellow. If you don't think Ninty or wiiu owners should be concerened about 3rd party support...well w/e makes you happy. 

Jealous? >_> Not sure if serious or just paranoid. The one having a hard time dealing with reality is you it seems. It's ok rage some more :) This is entertaining

Once again, you're an American in India asking for hotdogs....

You need to accept the fact that Nintendo consoles don't work the same way that you'd like them to, and people are happy enough. Stirring all this shit up about "why no 3rd party sales" makes the majority not give a shit.

I'm starting to think you are talking to the wrong person...because you're ranting on on subjects I haven't even talked about initially

First off I'm sure you can find Hot Dogs in india >_> What a random and useless analogy

I have no issue accepting different consoles, different user base etc have different tastes. I don't have a 'preference' on how any side should act or react. I was responding to the OP and the stupid comments made in it. IF nintendo fans are happy with getting inferior ports or no port at all for the most part..IF wiiu fans are happy with dry spells of games for the system...IF Nintendo themselves are happy about the support and sales...I see absolutely no issue with things. I for one do not care how Nintendo or their systems do. I do hope they do well.but I don't really care to a point to be concerned about it. Hope that makes things clearer for you

Err... you know this is a forum right? He's supposed to respond and debate, especially if he disagree with the OP assessment.

Except he's arguing against subjective, opinionated matter, which only makes HIM look like the fool, not the OP.

I'll say it agan, there's several reasons why people buy Nintendo consoles, and "3rd party support" is not one of them.