By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The real reason why 3rd party games do not sell well on Nintendo hardware

Top Third Party games by Generation (games on Nintendo platforms are bolded)

NES-Sega Master System Era:

Megaman 2 (NES exclusive)
Final Fantasy (NES exclusive)
Contra (NES exclusive)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (NES exclusive)
Wizards & Warriors (NES exclusive)
Metal Gear (NES specific)

SNES-Genesis Era:

Street Fighter II - Timed Exclusive to SNES
Contra III - Timed Exclusive to SNES
Final Fantasy VI - SNES Exclusive
Mortal Kombat - Multi-plat
NBA Jam - Multi-plat
Chrono Trigger - SNES Exclusive
Super Star Wars - SNES Exclusive

PS1-N64 Era:

Final Fantasy VII - Not on N64
Resident Evil - Not on N64
Resident Evil 2 - On N64 (2 years later)
Metal Gear Solid - Not on N64
Tekken 3 - Not on N64
Final Fantasy VIII - Not on N64
Tomb Raider - Not on N64

PS2-GCN-XBox Era

Grand Theft Auto III - Not on GameCube
Devil May Cry - Not on GameCube
Resident Evil 4 - Timed Exclusive to GameCube
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas - Not on GameCube
Metal Gear Solid II - Not on GameCube
Tony Hawk Pro Skater - Multi-plat
Dragon Quest VIII - Not on GameCube
Final Fantasy X - Not on GameCube

Wii-360-PS3

Call of Duty - On Wii, but heavily downgraded
BioShock - Not on Wii
Metal Gear Solid 4 - Not on Wii
Battlefield 3 - Not on Wii
Skyrim - Not on Wii
Left 4 Dead - Not on Wii
Final Fantasy XIII - Not on Wii
Guitar Hero - Multi-plat

After the SNES, Nintendo's standing with third parties has completely fallen apart and they've become more of a speciality console manufacturer outside of the Wii craze from 2006-2010.

Around the Network
M.U.G.E.N said:
fordy said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
fordy said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
Nah I'm pretty sure PS360 fans have better taste, higher standards and a much larger variety of games to choose from..

See anyone can play this game :)

Fact of the matter is..the very first sentence you started the OP off with is a lot of bs. This just reeks of desperate damage control for the poor sales

Why are you so concerned about 3rd party sales on Nintendo systems anyway? Is there something you're missing out from because of it?

What makes you think I'm 'concerned'? Because I posted in this thread? Wouldn't even have bothered if it wasn't for the rediculous statements made in the OP

Nintendo and WiiU owners should be concerened. I'm neither

Thanks, thought police, on what Nintendo people should be concerned about. Where would we be without you?

It almost seems like a lot of others are jealous to the fact that Nintendo can't go away as easily as some other companies, despite the lack of support. The fact that Nintendo has survived multiple console gens in this state just shows it's not going to happen. Deal with it.

hahah well aren't you a sensitive fellow. If you don't think Ninty or wiiu owners should be concerened about 3rd party support...well w/e makes you happy. 

Jealous? >_> Not sure if serious or just paranoid. The one having a hard time dealing with reality is you it seems. It's ok rage some more :) This is entertaining

Once again, you're an American in India asking for hotdogs....

You need to accept the fact that Nintendo consoles don't work the same way that you'd like them to, and people are happy enough. Stirring all this shit up about "why no 3rd party sales" makes the majority not give a shit.

mtu9356 said:
fordy said:
mtu9356 said:
I'll probably get hate for this but I think ALL gamers (and even Nintendo) would benefit if Nintendo were to become a software only company. Don't get me wrong I love Nintendo and grew up with them but I just don't see them being very successful (console sales wise) this gen. They obviously dominated last gen because they were able to capture the 'casuals' attention. I think Sony, Microsoft and the mobile market will and have prevented them from continuing to dominate.
Going software only would generate more game sales as they would go multiplatform and have millions of more potential customers. They could also use their all their development teams and really focus on what matters, games! They would have more time to create new IPs when not worrying about supporting a console.

I don't think as many core gamers or casual gamers will get the WiiU (at least at its current price) because of the gap in power between it and the other upcoming consoles. The WiiU is headed down the same path as the Wii in terms of power. The Wii was a little bit more powerful than the GC/xbox/PS2 gen and the WiiU is a little bit more powerful than the 360/PS3. In this upcoming gen third party games will be created for the PS4/NextBox and then be ported to the WiiU. The ported games won't be as bare-bones as last gen ports but they will still be inferior graphically to the PS4/Nextbox versions. I am also concerned about how much effort 3rd party developers will put into utilizing the game-pad as many of them were quite lazy with the motion controls they were given last gen.
Another just important difference will be the online functionality. Nintendo definitely has some good ideas but then again we haven't seen Microsoft or Sony's full hand.
I expect Nintendo's first party games to be as good as ever and I hope they come up with some very interesting uses for the game pad and prove me wrong about the WiiU. I will probably end up buying one when the price drops and their first party games start being released.

Remember these are just my opinions...

Who else thinks a software focus Nintendo would benefit everyone?

Just like Sega did when they went 3rd party?

Give me a break. All it would do is force a lot of the talent to leave Nintendo. the only reason that other people advocate this is because they're sick of seeing Nintendo get such high ratings and want it to be on a level playing field with other publishers...

Nintendo's developers are much more talented than Sega's, and they have many more popular IPs.  I personally believe they could do fine without their own console.  I don't think many developers would turn down offers to work on Nintendo IPs.  And from what I've read Nintendo isn't super controlling of their developers like other publishers are.

While i advocate nintendo games are very high quality, SEGA in its dreamcast days had alot more and highly talented devs. It was no doubt the best development house in its time. sadly, it wasnt well managed, but it did outclass Nintendo. What nintendo has is consistency. That consistency is/was better than the one SEGA had, but SEGA games really went the extra mile sometimes and fell short others. For example Shenmue, Phantasy Star online are examples of games that for their time were amazing and better than anything Nintendo had done. Unfortunely the same people that now ador Sony and Microsoft failed to see it when SEGA offered them online play one generation ahead of everybody else. What a tragic loss this has been for the industry.

SEGA of old was no doubt the best hardware and software developer to ever grace the games market.

Soundwave said:

Contra (NES exclusive)
Ninja Gaiden (NES specific)

SNES-Genesis Era:

NBA Jam - Multi-plat

PS1-N64 Era:

Tekken 3 - Not on N64
Tomb Raider - Not on N64

PS2-GCN-XBox Era

Wii-360-PS3

BioShock - Not on Wii
Skyrim - Not on Wii
Left 4 Dead - Not on Wii
Guitar Hero - Multi-plat

After the SNES, Nintendo's standing with third parties has completely fallen apart and they've become more of a speciality console manufacturer outside of the Wii craze from 2006-2010.

What's your point? It seems to be causing you concern for some reason...

if nintendo becomes game publisher and developer only, goodbye to activision and EA. Ubsoft has been giving love to Nintendo so that could be spared. You gamers have said you want to play Nintendo games but on your prefered consoles, you are being selfish with yourself just because in your opinion Nintendo hardware is not up to the challenge.

Around the Network

Wow, confirmation bias and elitism in a single post, lol.

I disagree. Different audiences and market segments influence thrid-party sales rather than anything to do with actual game quality. Recent Nintendo consoles have sold predominantly to the wider audience as well as core Nintendo fans who will happily buy the next iteration of Mario or Zelda.

Funnily enough, third party games do sell on Nintendo consoles, just not in the genres traditionally associated with core gaming. On the Wii the likes of Just Dance, Zumba fitness, Lego: Star Wars, Carnival games, EA Sports active and Cooking Mama are all third party franchises that have sold millions. Like I said before, market segments influence third-party sales, not game quality.

fordy said:
Soundwave said:

Contra (NES exclusive)
Ninja Gaiden (NES specific)

SNES-Genesis Era:

NBA Jam - Multi-plat

PS1-N64 Era:

Tekken 3 - Not on N64
Tomb Raider - Not on N64

PS2-GCN-XBox Era

Wii-360-PS3

BioShock - Not on Wii
Skyrim - Not on Wii
Left 4 Dead - Not on Wii
Guitar Hero - Multi-plat

What's your point? It seems to be causing you concern for some reason...

It's to the OP's point, yes third party games don't sell well on Nintendo platforms, but for the last 15+ years, Nintendo platforms by and large have been shut out of the top third party franchises. 

I don't ever recall hearing this "third parties don't sell on Nintendo platforms" nonsense during the NES and SNES days (and yes I was gaming back then). A lot of the most popular NES games were not made by Nintendo back then and probably the most popular SNES game was Street Fighter II, that was *the* "gotta have it" game for most of the SNES cycle. 

fordy said:
M.U.G.E.N said:

hahah well aren't you a sensitive fellow. If you don't think Ninty or wiiu owners should be concerened about 3rd party support...well w/e makes you happy. 

Jealous? >_> Not sure if serious or just paranoid. The one having a hard time dealing with reality is you it seems. It's ok rage some more :) This is entertaining

You need to accept the fact that Nintendo consoles don't work the same way that you'd like them to, and people are happy enough. Stirring all this shit up about "why no 3rd party sales" makes the majority not give a shit.

I'm starting to think you are talking to the wrong person...because you're ranting on on subjects I haven't even talked about initially

First off I'm sure you can find Hot Dogs in india >_> What a random and useless analogy

I have no issue accepting different consoles, different user base etc have different tastes. I don't have a 'preference' on how any side should act or react. I was responding to the OP and the stupid comments made in it. IF nintendo fans are happy with getting inferior ports or no port at all for the most part..IF wiiu fans are happy with dry spells of games for the system...IF Nintendo themselves are happy about the support and sales...I see absolutely no issue with things. I for one do not care how Nintendo or their systems do. I do hope they do well.but I don't really care to a point to be concerned about it. Hope that makes things clearer for you

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Pristine20 said:
fordy said:
Pristine20 said:
fordy said:
Pristine20 said:

Dude, I don't care whether 3rd parties sell on Nintendo systems or not. What irks me is when people claim Nintendo games are holy grail and the rest of us are unevolved peasants for not liking them and preferring our graphics, QTE or whatever it is they chose to condemn on any given day.

yes, some of us like our graphics, our FPS games, our "movie" games and what-have-you. Guess I don't deserve to play games then lmao.

It really depends on what one considers a game and what one considers an "interactive movie".

If you control the outcomes, it's a game IMO. The more important thing than the classification is that it's entertainment. That's ultimately why we play gemes. If the quasi-game is entertaining, it has served it's purpose.

I didn't like Heavy Rain btw and dont like QTE and prefer Ninja Gaiden to God of War for that very reason. However, I know people that do like the mechanic so you  would never hear me bashing it. It's not for you, move on. Claiming others dont know what "games" are or what-have-you is just unnecessary

I once saw a game called "Who wants to be a Millionaire" that played on DVD players. Essentially it was like a DVD menu and it took you to another movie clip depending on which one you took.

Would that be classed as a game?

Yes, If "Imagine: babiez" is a game, I don't see why not.

So why aren't we hearing crap about why the DVD player is suffering because of its lack of games?

M.U.G.E.N said:
fordy said:
M.U.G.E.N said:

I'm starting to think you are talking to the wrong person...because you're ranting on on subjects I haven't even talked about initially

First off I'm sure you can find Hot Dogs in india >_> What a random and useless analogy

I have no issue accepting different consoles, different user base etc have different tastes. I don't have a 'preference' on how any side should act or react. I was responding to the OP and the stupid comments made in it. IF nintendo fans are happy with getting inferior ports or no port at all for the most part..IF wiiu fans are happy with dry spells of games for the system...IF Nintendo themselves are happy about the support and sales...I see absolutely no issue with things. I for one do not care how Nintendo or their systems do. I do hope they do well.but I don't really care to a point to be concerned about it. Hope that makes things clearer for you

Yet you seem absolutely concerned when someone mentions that perhaps Nintendo's titles are off tio high of a quality for 3rd parties to effectively compete...