By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Willem Dafoe to star alongside Ellen Page in Beyond: Two Souls (coming October 8th)

Tagged games:

bananaking21 said:

that makes it even worse....... you pretty much killed the purpose of the game. the game is about how it makes you feel ultimately. honestly i still remember how i felt during that game. the game wasnt perfect, it wasnt the best game. but still, i did its job. but you pretty much killed that, with stopping, searching for the video that makes the choice you want, with not really being in control. you just killed the game for youself. you cut the stream of action which would trigger your emotions. damn man, please really "play" beyond!

No, you're wrong. I was supossed to play the fate of four characters; characters that had their own way of thinking. The crucial part of Heavy Rain is to ultimately decide wether these people act "right" or "wrong"; yet you can't really change some outcomes. But that is how this game makes you feel things. I did not feel connected, for example, to Madison, as I thought she was merely a bitch who wanted to make money out of the situation.

I did felt like shit when you discover the Origami Killer. Seriously. I remember watching the damned youtube video and I was completely in shock. Mind you, I've chosen how that character acted yet He was ultimately an hipocrite and betrayed me, the player. Ethan, during my "playthrough", was a merely coward who could not bring himself to save Shaun, and ended up in jail. Yet there was Norman Jayden, the character I admired most, and during my playthrough, he was the only one to do everything right, and finally, saving Shaun. So I did play it like I wanted, and I feel whatever I was supossed to feel playing like this.

It's a matter of opinion. Though I agree that it would have been better if I actually had "played" (having the control in my hands) the game.

Around the Network
Wright said:
bananaking21 said:

that makes it even worse....... you pretty much killed the purpose of the game. the game is about how it makes you feel ultimately. honestly i still remember how i felt during that game. the game wasnt perfect, it wasnt the best game. but still, i did its job. but you pretty much killed that, with stopping, searching for the video that makes the choice you want, with not really being in control. you just killed the game for youself. you cut the stream of action which would trigger your emotions. damn man, please really "play" beyond!

No, you're wrong. I was supossed to play the fate of four characters; characters that had their own way of thinking. The crucial part of Heavy Rain is to ultimately decide wether these people act "right" or "wrong"; yet you can't really change some outcomes. But that is how this game makes you feel things. I did not feel connected, for example, to Madison, as I thought she was merely a bitch who wanted to make money out of the situation.

I did felt like shit when you discover the Origami Killer. Seriously. I remember watching the damned youtube video and I was completely in shock. Mind you, I've chosen how that character acted yet He was ultimately an hipocrite and betrayed me, the player. Ethan, during my "playthrough", was a merely coward who could not bring himself to save Shaun, and ended up in jail. Yet there was Norman Jayden, the character I admired most, and during my playthrough, he was the only one to do everything right, and finally, saving Shaun. So I did play it like I wanted, and I feel whatever I was supossed to feel playing like this.

It's a matter of opinion. Though I agree that it would have been better if I actually had "played" (having the control in my hands) the game.

having that feeling of betrayel is something pretty much every one had, and i think it was done on purpose, and FYI i had a really different outcome then you did, Ethan with me, wasnt really a coward, he went through a lot of shit to save him, but ultimatly couldnt, Jayden saved shaun for me, but died while doing so. 

anyways  as you said its a matter of opinion. i just hope some of the plot holes (i had a huge one happen to me that i yet dont understand) dont happen in beyond.

bananaking21 said:

having that feeling of betrayel is something pretty much every one had, and i think it was done on purpose, and FYI i had a really different outcome then you did, Ethan with me, wasnt really a coward, he went through a lot of shit to save him, but ultimatly couldnt, Jayden saved shaun for me, but died while doing so. 

anyways  as you said its a matter of opinion. i just hope some of the plot holes (i had a huge one happen to me that i yet dont understand) dont happen in beyond.

But you see? You are proving I am right. What you feel was different, because you played differently!

And yes. It has some horrible plot holes, but hey, it was a great experience anyway.

I'm curious, do the sales of Heavy Rain justify the amount of money it must surely cost to land these A list actors. I mean getting Ellen Page and Defoe can't be cheap?

Makes you wonder what happens if the game is not successful sales wise.

That aside, these actors don't interest me in the slightest, give me unknown actors any day of the week, as long as their good, it dosen't matter who they are.

Wright said:
bananaking21 said:

But you see? You are proving I am right. What you feel was different, because you played differently!

And yes. It has some horrible plot holes, but hey, it was a great experience anyway.

ohh and i agree, what you feel is different, i probably misunderstood you before. yeah the horrible plot holes made it go down to a really good game from a freaking must have awesome game

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
Cub said:
CGI-Quality said:
Cub said:
Spedfrom said:
The movement of the lips is still too awkward and stiff. It hardly moves enough for how the words sound. It’s like the characters have a pronounced lip paralysis.

I might be putting on the nostalgia glasses, but I didn’t think it was an issue with Heavy Rain. But that was almost 3 years ago, maybe I’ve been spoiled by more recent games when it comes to lip-synching. In any case, the standard has gone up and what we’ve seen in this new trailer, in regards to lip-synching, isn’t acceptable any longer.

Agreed, it's just odd.

How does the game play this time? QTE based?

Not really. To your first sentence, - don't make the same mistake and assume something based on one trailer. ;)

Wat.

I am making an observation, I watched the trailer, I noticed there was something wrong with the way he was talking and surprise! someone else happened to agree with me. No assumptions or "mistakes" here. 

Assuming you are referring to me not finishing heavy rain, "the same mistake" aren't the right words to use here... because:

1) Making an observation about a trailer =/= Judging a game's quality.

2) Not finishing a game  (heavy rain, ff13, heavenly sword etc) because I found it too boring/laughable/easy to finish isn't a mistake. I am not a professional reviewer who has to put up with this stuff.

ANYWAY. 

I don't want to watch more trailers and possible spoilers, How is the gameplay in this game? similar to heavy rain? I am just curious. 

My post had nothing to do with you finishing HR.  >.<

However, since your last sentence is all that's relevant, yes, game-play will be similar to HR, but with more emphasis on action. And the person you agreed with claims that Heavy Rain, somehow, had better lip-sync than 3EYOND, which is false. Never mind how many people would agree with me on that. 

That is not at all what I said, CGi.

What I said is that at the time I enjoyed Heavy Rain quite a bit, but now three years later I am not satisfied with the lip-synching.

This is so because I probably had lower expectations at the time and managed to be happy with what Quantic Dream did with the lip-synching on Heavy Rain, but NOW, three years later, I'm at a point where I've been spoiled by other games with better lip-synching and found it lacking in what I've seen so far from Beyond. I'm sure they have improved it since Heavy Rain, but not enough for what I now expect as "good".

And relax, I'm not attacking Quantic Dream. I've enjoyed their work since Omikron. But that doesn't invalidate my concerns with their work when I have them.

I was specifically talking about lip-synching actually , because it's the one thing that completely irks me out of immersion, even if the facial expressions are only mild ones. Maybe it's OCD on my part but I just can't get over the fact that they didn't move enough for how the words sounded. Paralysis and all that jazz.

Anyway, we've both presented our arguments and as you said, agree to disagree. Let's wait until the game is out and judge for ourselves and according to our tastes and expectations. :)

WHAT DAFOE IS THIS?

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

You had me at Dafoe. Sold.

Spedfrom said:

That is not at all what I said, CGi.

What I said is that at the time I enjoyed Heavy Rain quite a bit, but now three years later I am not satisfied with the lip-synching.

This is so because I probably had lower expectations at the time and managed to be happy with what Quantic Dream did with the lip-synching on Heavy Rain, but NOW, three years later, I'm at a point where I've been spoiled by other games with better lip-synching and found it lacking in what I've seen so far from Beyond. I'm sure they have improved it since Heavy Rain, but not enough for what I now expect as "good".

And relax, I'm not attacking Quantic Dream. I've enjoyed their work since Omikron. But that doesn't invalidate my concerns with their work when I have them.

What's wrong with the lip-synching?