By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Will PS3 top 100 million?

I don't see the PS3 hitting 100mil...and it baffles me how some think it will still do as good as the PS2.

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

Around the Network

Only if the overall size of the console gaming market grows substantially. If we see growth in the market to say 280 million consoles sure if not, no.

Proud member of the Sonic Support Squad

it will hit 100 million zillion trillion quadrillion :)

''Hadouken!''

This thread revived too early.
No GTA4, NO MGS4, releases yet.
Not to mention about KZ2, R2, FFXIII, LBP, M2 and other BIG hitters. =]

I believe by autumn, with ps3 price 299$/euro will be the best time to continue this thread. :)
Anyway, next 2 months will be interesting for ps3, because of GTA4 and MGS4. :)

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Goddbless said:
I don't see the PS3 hitting 100mil...and it baffles me how some think it will still do as good as the PS2.

Iam more baffeled by how blind most of you are to what is happening.

What Sony did with the PS, nintendo is now doing with the wii but more so. A massvie market expension over one gen the biggets one ever in gaming is happening right now.

Nes 61 million
GE 30

PS 102
N64 32
Saturn 9

PS2 - 120ish
GC - 25
Xbox - 25
DC - 9

91 - 140 - 180

Based on the previous jumps a low estimate should be around 240 million this gen.

Iam guessing near 300 million.

360 - under 40 million
Wii and PS3 over 100 million

Around the Network
ClaudeLv250 said:

Prodigy_BE said:
I said, they only overlap "just a little bit"

Dude, and if you want to talk software sales. The only software that really sells on the Wii, is Nintendo own stuff. And to a lesser extent, that also goes for the DS. That's not good for devs either.

All that "PS3 is dead crap" is no different than the "blu-ray will never win" and MGS4 is coming to Xbox" stuff. Wii has sold 5.8 million units in Japan, PS3 has sold 2.1, but is almost double the price. You do realize that Nintendo already played it's "cheap hardware" card, and Sony has yet to do that.

PS3 has great technology to offer and was built to have a long lifespan. And the more the price goes down, the more people will buy it.

1. Wii has more 3rd party million sellers than PS3 and half the support. If only Nintendo is selling games then I can't really imagine the flopping that must be going on in the PS3 library (okay, I can...and Japanese publishers are getting hit the hardest).

2. No one said PS3 is dead, it's just set to eat Wii's dust for the rest of the generation. And Nintendo hasn't played any cards, whilst Sony has endlessly shuffled SKUs, dropped the price, and offered bundles. If people think the Wii is selling because it's cheap now (an argument nullified by the Gamecube), wait until it hits mass market price (if ever).

3. A long lifespan only applies to the dominant console. This has never changed, and it won't be changing this gen.

exactly - the Wii can have a price cut anytime cause it hasn't had one yet. Also, no different SKU's yet and no different colors or bundles. 

No way.

GTA will maybe boost it 5m, but thats all.

noope never

Thread too long, sorry.

To answer the OP, no. PS3 will never reach 100m. It will not have a 10yr life span either.

360 max is 40m
PS3 max is 80m
Wii max is 150m

Nah,I don´t think it will ever get to 100 million...it´s pitiful compared to the PS2.

On the other hand,the Wii,sales numbers aside, doesn´t seem to be this "gen´s PS2" either....personally,I´ll only say it is when it starts stealing a considerable amount of "big" 3rd party games from PS3/360...after all,the market leader has always been known,since the NES days,to have the biggest number of high profile 3rd party titles....

IMO,this generation sucks so far for having no clear winner...and for clear winner I mean that system that´s got the sales and and many high profile exclusives....though,I´m sure a lot of you guys must find the 'suspense' awesome,but I just can´t stand this indefinition.