By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Will PS3 top 100 million?

Hegarol2 said:
Prodigy_BE said:

Europe is won, the US will shift focus this holiday season (with blu-ray being the biggest sales booster), and Japan will follow after FF XIII, FF Versus XIII and White Knight Story are released. MGS4 will only be an indication for things to come.

1. I don't know what your definition of "win" is but the PS3 is currently in 3rd place in Europe if you look at the total sales for this gen. You could argue its 2nd place because its constantly outselling the 360 on a weekly basis, but the PS3 is still way behind Wii. Not in any way has PS3 won Europe.

2. There is no indication that the US will shift focus from Wii to PS3 and only if THAT happens PS3 has a chance to reach 100 million. Wii Fit and the E3 holiday announcements will push Wii even more.

3. Japan is lost for the PS3. Wii is so strong over there that no FF can help the PS3 to get to Wii levels. It won't be released before mid 2009 anyway, which is way too late.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing but respect for Nintendo. But they have found a new market, and aren't really stealing consumers from 360 or PS3. With "Win" I mean win the hearts of the hardcore gamer.

US will never shift focus from Wii to PS3, but the two overlap only a little bit. And yes, Wii will sell much more than 100 million. Nintendo is REALLY bringing gaming to the masses. Much more than Sony did here in Europe, with its Buzz and Singstar series.

And the "Japan is lost for the PS3" remark. I heard the same thing about the PSP. All it needs is a piece of software everyone wants. The FF series does that, so does the Gran Turismo series, the MGS series to a lesser extent (action adventure is not as popular in Japan as RPG or racing, and imho, White Knight Story (the new game from the Dragon Quest VIII developers) And the more consoles get sold, the more kickass franshises will be coming to the PS3 (monster hunter, dragon quest...)

Around the Network

Prodigy_BE said:
Hegarol2 said:
Prodigy_BE said:

Europe is won, the US will shift focus this holiday season (with blu-ray being the biggest sales booster), and Japan will follow after FF XIII, FF Versus XIII and White Knight Story are released. MGS4 will only be an indication for things to come.

1. I don't know what your definition of "win" is but the PS3 is currently in 3rd place in Europe if you look at the total sales for this gen. You could argue its 2nd place because its constantly outselling the 360 on a weekly basis, but the PS3 is still way behind Wii. Not in any way has PS3 won Europe.

2. There is no indication that the US will shift focus from Wii to PS3 and only if THAT happens PS3 has a chance to reach 100 million. Wii Fit and the E3 holiday announcements will push Wii even more.

3. Japan is lost for the PS3. Wii is so strong over there that no FF can help the PS3 to get to Wii levels. It won't be released before mid 2009 anyway, which is way too late.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing but respect for Nintendo. But they have found a new market, and aren't really stealing consumers from 360 or PS3. With "Win" I mean win the hearts of the hardcore gamer.

US will never shift focus from Wii to PS3, but the two overlap only a little bit. And yes, Wii will sell much more than 100 million. Nintendo is REALLY bringing gaming to the masses. Much more than Sony did here in Europe, with its Buzz and Singstar series.

And the "Japan is lost for the PS3" remark. I heard the same thing about the PSP. All it needs is a piece of software everyone wants. The FF series does that, so does the Gran Turismo series, the MGS series to a lesser extent (action adventure is not as popular in Japan as RPG or racing, and imho, White Knight Story (the new game from the Dragon Quest VIII developers) And the more consoles get sold, the more kickass franshises will be coming to the PS3 (monster hunter, dragon quest...)

1. Nintendo have found a 'new market' on top of the old one - which is why they're completing dominating the competition in every territory.

2. So, let me get this straight. They're in "different markets" but they overlap? Oooookay...

3. Japan is pretty much lost. All PSP has is increased hardware sales but no software to match. Only Monster Hunter is selling. Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy spinoff, and new IP aren't going to propel PS3 to Wii levels, they simply don't dictate that much of the industry. That, and Monster Hunter has already gone to Wii and Dragon Quest to DS. Japan has and will continue to be a one console market.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

If the PS3 continued to sell at the same rate as it has over the past 12 months it will reach 100 Million in a little under 11 years from now ... Realistically all systems will be selling well below their peak sales values 4 years from now and will have achieved 80% to 90% of their total sales; what this means is that for any of these systems to have a chance of breaking 100 Million they need to be averaging 16 to 20 Million per year today.

I said, they only overlap "just a little bit"

Dude, and if you want to talk software sales. The only software that really sells on the Wii, is Nintendo own stuff. And to a lesser extent, that also goes for the DS. That's not good for devs either.

All that "PS3 is dead crap" is no different than the "blu-ray will never win" and MGS4 is coming to Xbox" stuff. Wii has sold 5.8 million units in Japan, PS3 has sold 2.1, but is almost double the price. You do realize that Nintendo already played it's "cheap hardware" card, and Sony has yet to do that.

PS3 has great technology to offer and was built to have a long lifespan. And the more the price goes down, the more people will buy it.

Prodigy_BE said:

Dude, and if you want to talk software sales. The only software that really sells on the Wii, is Nintendo own stuff. And to a lesser extent, that also goes for the DS. That's not good for devs either.

I think Capcom, Sega, Activision, Ubisoft and LucasArts (to name a few) would strongly disagree with you on this.

The "3rd party games don't sell" argument is old and proven wrong several times. Not only does Wii have more 3rd party million sellers than PS3, it's also a lot cheaper to develop for. I'm certain that 3rd parties are a lot happier with Wii software sales than PS3's.

Around the Network

Realistically the only console that could achieve the 100 million console achievement is the Nintendo Wii. The Nintendo Wii could get to 100 million sales within 6 years.
A more realistic expectation is for PS3 to get to 70 million hardware LTD. 360 to crawl up to 40 million hardware LTD.

Prodigy_BE said:

All that "PS3 is dead crap" is no different than the "blu-ray will never win" and MGS4 is coming to Xbox" stuff. Wii has sold 5.8 million units in Japan, PS3 has sold 2.1, but is almost double the price. You do realize that Nintendo already played it's "cheap hardware" card, and Sony has yet to do that.

PS3 has great technology to offer and was built to have a long lifespan. And the more the price goes down, the more people will buy it.

1. Wii has more 3rd party million sellers than PS3 and half the support. If only Nintendo is selling games then I can't really imagine the flopping that must be going on in the PS3 library (okay, I can...and Japanese publishers are getting hit the hardest).

2. No one said PS3 is dead, it's just set to eat Wii's dust for the rest of the generation. And Nintendo hasn't played any cards, whilst Sony has endlessly shuffled SKUs, dropped the price, and offered bundles. If people think the Wii is selling because it's cheap now (an argument nullified by the Gamecube), wait until it hits mass market price (if ever).

3. A long lifespan only applies to the dominant console. This has never changed, and it won't be changing this gen.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

After skipping the pages full of Crazyman's propoganda

I feel It IS possible..

as we have seen Yearly growth in of sales of 100% in the Ps3...it won't be foolish to expect titles like GTA Iv & MGS4 keep up this percentage so PS3 this year could improve up to 50 - 100% from last year

now thats HUGE, and if the price is lowered for 09 + with FFXIII coming in Japan in 09 maybe another 30 - 50% increase in sales in 09...

that would set Ps3 up for the 80 - 100 Million range

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

CrazzyMan said:

YES

PS3
2007 - 9 mln.
2008 - 25 mln.
2009 - 46 mln.
2010 - 68 mln.
2011 - 86 mln.
2012 - 101 mln.

ps2

2000 - 6 mln.
2001 - 22 mln.
2002 - 43 mln.
2003 - 61 mln.
2004 - 77 mln.
2005 - 94 mln.
2006 - 106 mln.

According to Crazzyman the PS3 will reach 101 million by the end of 2012.

360 wont break 40 million, PS3 and wii will both break 100 easily.