By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Will PS3 top 100 million?

Yes, easily.

Over the coming years, the price of PS3 will come down further. Also Sony will redesign PS3, bring out a PS3 Slim and the PS3 will sell like hot cake.

Around the Network

Official Final-Fan Prediction: The PS3 will never cost $100 or less.

100 United States dollars, MSRP. Never ever. Ever. Quote me on that.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

I think the PS3 will definitely sell more than 50 million units.

no

Wii console: 0595 8808 5698 2709
Super Smash Bros Brawl: 1161 1357 5188

Mario Kart Wii: 1633 4506 4319

PES 2008: 1633 5820 0347

DragonBall Z BT 3: 3823 9760 9484

Pokemon Battle Revolution: 3480 2645 9186
Feel free to add me, and sent me a pm with your Friend Code!!

Some people really don't see that there are only 2 consoles ever to reach 100 million units. Hell even Wii will have a hard time reaching these kind of numbers.

Let's say Wii will have sold 43 million consoles end 2008. That's with 3 holiday periods, and then it'isn't even halfway. It has to maintain current sales levels for at least another year, so it can be at 65 million after 4 holiday periods.
Then it still has to sell 35 million. Doable, but definitely not a piece of cake.

PS3 will be at something like 22 million units end 2008 after 3 holiday periods. Let's assume it has a Wii-like year in 2009 and 2010 (which is imo totally out of the question) then it's only at about 65 million units after 5 holiday periods.
After 5 holiday periods it's absolutely impossible to sell another 35 million units, because it's quite certain that a new generation will be in sight by then.

Around the Network

The ps3 will sell around 100 million or less (90ish) in it's life time, because of the blu-ray player. I believe a strong % of ps3 owners buy it for the blu-ray, or i would think that the shit box360 would have slightly better sales than the ps3, because it's cheaper and a lot of the high quality games are multi-platform.

Prodigy_BE said:
Believe me, at one point, PS3 will have a 99$ price tag, and with blu-ray as the new format of choice, PS3's will sell like hotcakes.

When??? 2012, 2013, 2014??? Unless this ($300) price cut gets here in the next two years (tops, and probably 2010 will be too late), Sony will not gain support from the mass market and the devs, and no, I´m not just talking about exclusive big ip support, I´m talking about mainstream support and shovelware, the kind of games that appeals to the bigger market, the PS2 market and now Wii market...

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."

No.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

F-J Warez

I said, at one point. Just as the PSone, and the PS2 stopped at the 99$ price point. The more the price goes down and the bundles and stuff get more interesting, the more people buy the damn thing.

So why the "Sony will not gain support from the mass market and the devs" remarks?
EA has already said it is making PS3 its leading platform, Infinity Ward said it had its best people on the PS3 version and the Unreal 3 engine is finaly up to speed for the PS3. UT3 proves that.

Multiformat devs want their games to sell as much as possible on all platforms, so they will make their games as good as possible on all platforms. And yes, they had trouble with the Cell in the beginning. Just as they had trouble with the PS2 in the beginning (I remember my Dreamcast games looking much better than my early PS2 games). But the more they work with it, the more they get to know it's power. And yes, Cell's power has more in store for us than the 360's cpu. Some developers have already started to unlock that power (Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank, Killzone...), and in due time the gap between top visuals in 360 and PS3 will become bigger.

Look, I've got all three systems, and play all three systems, but Sony, doing what they always do (looking for advanced tech as their savoir), will come out on top in the end. And I believe in a + 100 million total sales. Which is more than 50% less than the PS3, if you look at the expansion of the market, by the way.

why is everybody (fanboys sony haters) saying ps3 wont sell a 100 million like they KNOW this as fact? LOL, all of sudden everybodys predicting sales like its there an sales analys. leave the BS to pachter, stop looking at current sales an using that as your proof,the ps2 price continued to go down before it hit 100 million.and what you guys still fail to see and ignore is the ps3 cost 4 and $500....and its selling well and its selling better than the 360. i not saying it is going to sell 100 million and im not saying its not,but i dont see why it cant seeing how it cost 4to$500 and its selling so well and they have yet to drop the price to $300 and $200.whats going to happen then? you guys should be carefull what you say, anything is possile,after all we all what happend after some people was so SURE that blu-ray was gonna fail.