By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Vita selling out in Japan

It is Incredible

Around the Network

Shows how vital price is. It's a nice bit of kit so its good to see it do well.

Next week will be very interesting to see if Vita stays around 50% of 3DS, returning this gen to at least pre doomed numbers.

The title is a bit mis-leading. Just under 61,000 units sold in Japan last week. I'm pretty sure that Sony has way more than that in the supply line. Actually, I'm sure they had way more than that sitting at retail.

Stop hating and start playing.

BuckStud said:
The title is a bit mis-leading. Just under 61,000 units sold in Japan last week. I'm pretty sure that Sony has way more than that in the supply line. Actually, I'm sure they had way more than that sitting at retail.

Have you seen Vita sales for the past year? There's no way stores had that many Vita's lying around. Why ordere more of something that isn't selling?
I entire belive Vita was sold out in many stores. These stores probably had very little supply to begin with.

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
bananaking21 said:
Conegamer said:
bananaking21 said:

i dont know the japanese market very well, but i honestly think those predictions are too high, i hope im wrong though.

the avarage week prediction i agree with though

I fear as much as well, but looking at the games coming out and what the 3DS price cut did, I thought "Heck, why not, just for this once, be optimistic?"

We shall know soon enough.

the difference is that the 3DS had just released it was what 6 months old? it was still really new on the market and then all of a sudden it had third of its price slashed. vita on the other hand is about a years and 3 months old in japan and the 3DS is really doing beastly numbers. back then the 3DS didnt have any comptition, now vita is going up to a handheld that has most weeks above 50% of tottal hardware marketshare

There's only a one month difference between the two price cuts, but Conegamer is predicting way too high. 

Ok, the 3DS price was annouced on July 28th, 2011, it was it was actually more like 5 months after launch. Another thing was the 3DS had sold  4.32 million units at that point, and Vita is 4.2 million now, so is there something about the 4 million mark that companies like to cut the price of thier hardware?

I'm thinking about 40k next week. Remember how much the sales dropped the week after Vita's launch? I expect something similar here.

Devil_Survivor said:
outlawauron said:
bananaking21 said:
Conegamer said:
bananaking21 said:

i dont know the japanese market very well, but i honestly think those predictions are too high, i hope im wrong though.

the avarage week prediction i agree with though

I fear as much as well, but looking at the games coming out and what the 3DS price cut did, I thought "Heck, why not, just for this once, be optimistic?"

We shall know soon enough.

the difference is that the 3DS had just released it was what 6 months old? it was still really new on the market and then all of a sudden it had third of its price slashed. vita on the other hand is about a years and 3 months old in japan and the 3DS is really doing beastly numbers. back then the 3DS didnt have any comptition, now vita is going up to a handheld that has most weeks above 50% of tottal hardware marketshare

There's only a one month difference between the two price cuts, but Conegamer is predicting way too high. 

Ok, the 3DS price was annouced on July 28th, 2011, it was it was actually more like 5 months after launch. Another thing was the 3DS had sold  4.32 million units at that point, and Vita is 4.2 million now, so is there something about the 4 million mark that companies like to cut the price of thier hardware?

Most probably the producers of some expensive components accept to drop price for the first time by a significant amount after they sold roughly that number of components to the producers of finished products, in this case portable consoles.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Vita Softwareracking up top 100, cant believe how well games are doing, on the other hand Vita itself is doing better but not that well. It dropped past week. Top 100 has 2 sometimes 3 models of vitas while 3DS has 5 XL's anda regular (3 of which is selling more than Vita's best)