By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Eidos: next XBOX uses watermarked discs

Let's wait and see, I don't really expect either Sony or M$ actually going through with this without expecting severe backlash. I expect some form of control, but not a complete lock out of used games without a reduction in prices

Around the Network
hivycox said:
Lafiel said:
the way he phrased it makes it sound like he is talking about rumours/hearsay and not about confirmed information to be honest

Well only Microsoft themselves can confirm anything. But thats coming from Eidos. It could be true or false.

exactly, that's why I'll wait for official statements from MS on that matter and so should all of us

The feature may be built in but MS is not going to turn it on at launch and may never. MS knows that over 50% of it's customers don't hook up their consoles to the internet. MS is not going to lose over half it's sales just to cut back on used game sales and pirates. The 360 did just fine with used games.

If the climate changes and MS discovers that over 90% of NextBox users are online they may turn the feature on of some games. But I just don't see MS or Sony pissing everyone off right at the start of a new generation when they needs console sales more than anything.

superchunk said:
Darc Requiem said:
If true, Sony is going to gain a new PS4 customer.

Unless PS4 uses the same tech? After all its just BR discs and the pressure may be coming from publishers. Sony's last rumor on this stated that it may be up to the publishers and not enforced by Sony on all.

Will you go Wii U then?

I dont think many consumers would go to another platform especially if they have never had interest in that platform, I just think they would only buy a select few games new and not much else. The more i think about consoles blocking second hand games the more ridiculous it seems. I genuinely believe it will mostly be a case of "if i cant buy your game second hand i wont risk my money on full price and buy it"

Misleading title, note the word SUPPOSEDLY

Around the Network

heres the stupid part about it. f used. what about a 2+ console house.

If this is the case, you can count me out, I always sell my games. Out of 25 - 30 games I buy a year, I only keep 2 or 3.

I hope it is a case where developers can chose (not) to block it, like region locking. 

superchunk said:
Darc Requiem said:
If true, Sony is going to gain a new PS4 customer.

Unless PS4 uses the same tech? After all its just BR discs and the pressure may be coming from publishers. Sony's last rumor on this stated that it may be up to the publishers and not enforced by Sony on all.

Will you go Wii U then?

Where have you been? I've had a Wii U since launch. Not only that, three of my currently played games are Wii U titles....

Sounds like MS is just trying to sucker all their 720 owners into over paying for access to Xbox Live. Problem is people are stupid and enough people might allow this to happen that it will ruin the entire used game market.

@Cmeese47

One thing posting on video game forums has proved to me is that most gamers are stupid. Now if the most hardcore of the segment are willing to chuck away their consumer rights at the drop of a hat, then you know the mainstream casual audience will be to ignorant to notice. I can excuse them, ignorance by definition means that you just don't know. What is the excuse for the "hardcore" gamer?