By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Eidos: next XBOX uses watermarked discs

He's just reaponding to rumors... I doubt M$ would. They don't need to make money as desperately as other companies. Sony patented it, not M$. It's more likely that Sony will. It would have to be forced on them through Sony if they somehow apply the patent to blu-ray.

Around the Network

I like the way that when MS don't refute rumours about used games on a platform they haven't officially confirmed the existence of it automatically means they're true, but when sony give ambiguous answers about being in talks with publishers and devs it means they're not going to do it. God I love the internets.

superchunk said:
tres said:
heres the stupid part about it. f used. what about a 2+ console house.

Any solution would likely be tied to the account, not the console. I mean you an now log into another console with yoru PSN name and share your digital content. I don't see MSony changing that setup. Nintendo on the other hand....

That is why I really don't mind this solution from either Sony or MS.  All this really does is kill the used game market (gamestop) as well as loaning out your games to your friends.

If its tied to Account you can still bring your game over to your friends house, as long as you sign in when you get there.  I guess that falls into the "online requiered" area (assuming that the requiered account gets saved to the physical disc somehow), but I honestly don't have a problem with it.

Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League

well...I don't buy used games so it won't bother me anyway, but I guess there are people who do care about this. So looks like it won't be a good idea for MS

zero129 said:
Stefan.De.Machtige said:
I'm getting a bad feeling about this... lots of similar rumours :(

If true, i doubt it will be benificial to the gaming industry.

Me too, i have a feeling that both MS and Sony will take the "Its a feature thats there and its up to developers to use" way around this. So when say someone like EA does this for their next Fifa or Activision for CoD game people wont complain about Ms or Sony allowing them to do it but instead complain about the dev and then still bunches of people will still go out and buy Fifa 14 and CoDMW4 anways even with the fact they will never be able to lend it to their friends or sell it again once it gets old. then once they do it more companys will follow and by the time the 2nd half of nextgen comes around all games will most likely be using it.

Well thats how i see them sneaking this out there to the public anyway is in a trick form like that.

Yep. If i wanted to implement something like this, i would do exactly how you described. That would probably work rather well.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

Around the Network
BasilZero said:

So watermarked means used games wont work?

Again like I said in another thread, the used game issue doesnt bother me..but the online all the time does >_>.

Agree to some degree, but have you considered these situations:

- you have multiple xboxes.

- your old one dies and need replacement.

- If tied to account, imagine when the oline service goes offline for the next xbox. Will you be able to play then? If I get a replacement console 10 years from now will I be able to transfer my games to that console?

There's still an Eidos?

ah...whatever

Kyuu said:
Darc Requiem said:
If true, Sony is going to gain a new PS4 customer.

It's likely for Sony to use the same strategy..

It seems Shuhei once said that PS4 will support used games

irstupid said:
BasilZero said:

So watermarked means used games wont work?

Again like I said in another thread, the used game issue doesnt bother me..but the online all the time does >_>.

ditto.

Maybe 1% of all my games are used.  I also don't resell my games, so used games doesn't matter.

I hate online only games though.  Hell no better time than a time your internet and tv go out than to game.  But regardless I hate having to be online to play a game.  Pretty sure diablo fans already told the gaming world loud and clear that they hated this.

Starcraft 2 fans as well... Im gonna be upset if this is true. I dont care about used games but constantly online sucks. My internet here tends to randomly go out and it really sucks!

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!!