By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - These forums will be hilarious if Next Xbox is more powerful than PS4

Would the meltdowns be epic?

Yes 237 59.25%

No 107 26.75%

Maybe 53 13.25%

Total:397

WagnerPaiva said:
platformmaster918 said:

Sounds plausible, as I like Sony better, I hope MS have lower specs, althought I don´t want them to fail either, I may very well have both consoles, like I did in this gen, but ""Sony is much more appealing to me and treat me much better as a gamer, so, I hope they have the specs to outlast the competition.""

----–-–--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Look at your last sentence above.. I had a PS2 and i thought they treated me better to until I saw the PS3 price.. I eventually got a bluray player for 70 dollars..

The PS3 was also built more powerful and to outlast thr competition & look how that turned out !!  .. Are the PS3 crowd still talking about how the PS3 will be competing against the new xbox cuz it would be selling long after the xbox 360?? Nope.. Suddenly the PS3 will be an outdated antique! It cost more to buy, more to build and Sony just lost money..

First of all.. Both systems will be x86.. Know what this means.. More ports... Games will be too close in quality to tell.. Games will not look much better then now ( although games should all be 1080p and have much better frame rates).. According to John Carmack the more powerful cpu will improve artificial intelligence in games - no more mob mentality. If you think because the PS4 is 7 times more powerful then the xb360 - while the New Xbox is only 6 times more - That youll see a visually big diference that would be a pure pipe dream.. Listen up- The best selling titles on both systems will continue to be multi-platform titles like COD ! Why do you think Sony is going the x86 route?? You think its because they beleive developers making multiplatform games are dedicated to making the absolute best graphics on each system?? Haha there will probably be less exclusives then ever-, now that Sony and MS are using the same architecture - itll be so much easier to port from pc to console,or from xbox to playstation..
I posted this as well in another post:

I built many custom PC's and faster memory often means very little in real word peformance.. Faster GDDR5 will actually be waiting on the system bus..the bus is where the data travels between the cpu, gpu, memory, hard drive and bluray player. The system is only as fast as the slowest piece my friends and that will be mostly the HARD Drive...The hardrive is much much slower.. Only the bluray drive is slower. Games will probably still have to be installed to the hard drive because even with 6x bluray i would think games wouldnt run smooth enough.. This is exactly why GDDR5 is a waste.. Microsoft has been doing x86' much longer and has more experience then Sony ever thought - They make windows - which runs on x86.. And The first XBOX WAS X86! MS knows what will be useable and what will not. The Microsoft answer is to use GDDR3 which is still faster the the system bus - why use faster memory - except for hype and marketing ? it should add to the cost of the console- ( if Sony sells their console at the same price as the xbox - will they lose money? ) Another smart solution is to speed up the system bus - its rumored MS will use a small cache of ESram ( exspensive and much faster then GDDR5 ) and it will be placed directly on the GPU - this will give the system similar bandwidth the PS4 using GDDR5... MS is making the bus fastest where it actually matters where the cpu/gpu/memmory all communicate... If any does or doesnt understand this concept that the system waits on the slowest piece... Just ask anyone who has upgraded from a mechanical hard-drive ( in their windows PC ) like the one found in any console and the PS4 to a 'Solid State Hard drive... You go from loading windows in 12 seconds to 2 seconds.. Files save faster..everything is faster.. You can build a high end PC with the best cpu... And if that PC uses a hardrive like the ones found in consoles it could still perform slower then one using a Solid State Hard drive..

Around the Network
raf40928 said:
Hi mom

Dont call me mom in public... you were an accident! 

Let them. they still don't have my favorite franchises, worlds, heroes and more in their console. They could have 16gb (hyperbole) of RAM, i would be humbly impressed and a bit jelly for the MS fans. You gotta be a real 12 year old to come here and rage about something so trivial. Power doesn't make a console, fitness games do. *hintidy hint fucking hint* Wii

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

drkohler said:
raf40928 said:

I built many custom PC's and faster memory often means very little in real word peformance.

Your small rant is so wrong I don't even know where to start so I just leave it at that. For the rest of the readers, the problem of what is faster - ddr3 or gddr5 - is a very complex question, and depends on many things but basically boils down to severely following programming models and how the memory transactions are wired into the system.. It has absolutely, but really absolutely nothing to do with harddisks. You can be 100.000% certain that both Sony and MS ran thousands of hours of code simulations to get to their preferred method. Both systems, PS4 and XBox720, have additional (bus-transactional) hardware that makes it essentially impossible to discuss the matter since we don't now what is going on on the busses when games are running on either system.

Im not wrong.. Go install faster ram in your home pc and see if it runs faster... It wont because its still waiting on the hardrive!  ( The slowest memory in any system ) ...Yes memory benchmarks will be faster.. But REAL world improvements will be minor .. In x86 the games are built around the gpu.. The gpu will affect fill rates and whether the system studders during gaming much more then GDDR memory speed.. If Ms was using 10 year old DDR - then yes you'd be right!  But they arent... Sony is using GDDR5 and for what reason?  The game will be loading while playing- from the hard drive and possibly the 6x bluray player.. Data will be going across the system bus much slower then the faster pieces will process it.. The point is until Sony and Ms put Solid State Hardrives ( that cost too much right now ) in their consoles.. Some components can be overkill.. Computer makers have done it for YEARS: Mated faster memory with a high end cpu and the system was still dependent on the slower bus and hardrive!  

My point is GDDR5 is overkill with a midrange graphics card! And as long as data is streaming from a hard drive or even worse - an optical drive such as bluray then the system is bogged down.. The faster components help to an extent but they have to wait on data to come in from the slower pieces even though those faster pieces are capable of going much quicker

I will add if MS does eliminate pre owned games im completely down with the meltdown threads for that and will probably abandon the Xbox brand forever

Around the Network

Which of these two games would you prefer playing? Probably the second picture of course. Now for the sake of this post think of the original as the Wii U and the collection as the PS4. If Microsoft came out with this:

Well the internet would explode in a huge war of hypocrites because most Microsoft fans don't like Kratos anyway. End thread/

(yeah I'm confused too as to what I'm saying but the pictures speak for themselves)

JayWood2010 said:

The thing about the RAM that people arent realizing is that it is SHARED MEMORY. at least 2 GB is going to the OS and then 2-4 GB will be going to the GPU. People are ignoring that though.

Likely they will be pretty even again.

but that would be true for the 720 too, wouldn't it?

but from what i heard so far from sony, with the PS4 being able to download Stuff while the PS4 is off, i assume that at least some rudamentary part of the OS is running on some separate hardware, which could mean they could also free a lot of main ram during the gameplay.

...these are entierly my own speculations though

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

i'll be watching the even just to find out whether i need to login to vgc when the nextbox conference is over or not.

i've regretted longing in after the PS4 event, and the more pointless threads i see. the more i wish i had the power to lock them, but that's obviously just me.

Ben. you're a bit blind mate, or were you expecting it to be self explanatory. the forums are going to meltdown if PS4 is more power then nextbox. so ither way, this sites going to hell. al forums are going to hell.

not to mention all the spinning to make one in to something it's not, but we have a full gen. for that.

BenVTrigger said:
I will add if MS does eliminate pre owned games im completely down with the meltdown threads for that and will probably abandon the Xbox brand forever

Yoshida likely made a mistake by saying the PS4 doesn't block used games.  It's not a lie, but it may be disingenuous.

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/articles/15544/20130223/ps4-specs-playstation-4-used-game-blocking.htm

Sounds like they're gonna pass the blame off to the publishers if it happens.  Consumers won't care as Sony put the ability to block in their console.

MARCUSDJACKSON said:
i'll be watching the even just to find out whether i need to login to vgc when the nextbox conference is over or not.

i've regretted longing in after the PS4 event, and the more pointless threads i see. the more i wish i had the power to lock them, but that's obviously just me.

Ben. you're a bit blind mate, or were you expecting it to be self explanatory. the forums are going to meltdown if PS4 is more power then nextbox. so ither way, this sites going to hell. al forums are going to hell.

not to mention all the spinning to make one in to something it's not, but we have a full gen. for that.

There is just too much truth here.