By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Paying for online gaming, THE OUTRAGE!

Be smart about your Xbox Live Gold membership purchase.

How much do I pay? I pay $25 per YEAR (about $2.08 per month) and Microsoft even gives me back $15 worth of 'points' to spend on anything in the marketplace every time I renew my subscription.

"How", you might ask?

The Family Plan, of course!

"What's the family plan, I've never heard of that before?"

Wow, what a great question! The Xbox Live Gold Family Pack is $99 USD and you get 4 (yes FOUR) Xbox Live Gold accounts that you can use to log into -any- Xbox 360, they are not tied to a single console. There are no restrictions on the family plan accounts, with the only caveat that you have to initially create them on the same console that the 'primary' account is on. Once they are created you can split them up, use them on any Xbox 360 console you want, even at the same time! 4 teh W1N!

More info: http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-live/marketplace-and-purchasing/billing-points-family-pack

"But Landsharkk, I don't need 4 accounts from the family plan, I only need 1!"

Very true! However, don't you have friends or family that have Xbox Live gold membership (or maybe some that want to try it out, but don't want to pay the full $60 a year?)? Sure ya do!

Get 3 friends or family together, all pitch in $25 and WHAMMO! You now have an Xbox Live Gold account that only cost you $25 per year!

Around the Network
pezus said:
When your competitors are free, it becomes a pretty glaring issue. Especially when your main competitor has a cheaper service where you can not only play all games online, cloud saves and the like, but you also get free games every single month.

The fact that you have to justify paying by using MMO's as examples speaks volumes. I'm fine with you paying, just never tell me to accept that price.

I've got a feeling that once Sony realizes it can't continue on in the game console business by losing money every quarter, that they'll start to shift towards making everyone get a PSN+ subscription.  You'll see them start to move features that use to be free over to the paid subscription instead.

"When your competitors are free, it becomes a pretty glaring issue."

When your competitors are making a profit and you are not, it becomes a pretty glaring issue.

Landsharkk said:
pezus said:
When your competitors are free, it becomes a pretty glaring issue. Especially when your main competitor has a cheaper service where you can not only play all games online, cloud saves and the like, but you also get free games every single month.

The fact that you have to justify paying by using MMO's as examples speaks volumes. I'm fine with you paying, just never tell me to accept that price.

I've got a feeling that once Sony realizes it can't continue on in the game console business by losing money every quarter, that they'll start to shift towards making everyone get a PSN+ subscription.  You'll see them start to move features that use to be free over to the paid subscription instead.

When your competitors are making a profit and you are not, it becomes a pretty glaring issue.

Dont overlook Steam  with  steambox coming very soon. Its free.

I just got Saints row with all Dlc's for $16 on sale limited time only.

*In other words I see Xbox live go free soon enough if you ask me.

Landsharkk said:

[...]

"But Landsharkk, I don't need 4 accounts from the family plan, I only need 1!"

Very true! However, don't you have friends or family that have Xbox Live gold membership (or maybe some that want to try it out, but don't want to pay the full $60 a year?)? Sure ya do!

[...]

I live in europe, so - no! There aren't any Xboxes around here! :D

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

KeptoKnight said:
Landsharkk said:
pezus said:

Steambox might be cool (does it really exist yet? I've never seen it, or seen specs on it), but there's no way a first gen console will be able to compete with Nintendo, Microsoft or Sony, at least not for a good 5 to 10 years.

People will look at the steambox and say, "I can play steam games on it? How about console games?  What about game XYZ, the biggest game of the year that's coming out and isn't being released on steam? What else can it do besides gaming?" Then realize it doesn't have half the features or play half the games a modern console does and will move on.  

I'm not trolling, just being realistic.  

Around the Network
Landsharkk said:
KeptoKnight said:
Landsharkk said:
pezus said:

Steambox might be cool (does it really exist yet? I've never seen it, or seen specs on it), but there's no way a first gen console will be able to compete with Nintendo, Microsoft or Sony, at least not for a good 5 to 10 years.

People will look at the steambox and say, "I can play steam games on it? How about console games?  What about game XYZ, the biggest game of the year that's coming out and isn't being released on steam? What else can it do besides gaming?" Then realize it doesn't have half the features or play half the games a modern console does and will move on.  

I'm not trolling, just being realistic.  

*Newell is a very experienced gamer. He knows what he is up against more than you and I think.  Thats being realistic.

Time will tell. But I aint worried at all.

bananaking21 said:
kain_kusanagi said:
Osc89 said:
Isn't the issue to do with how the PS3 does it all for free? It's like charging for Pepsi when you can get Coke on tap. It just seems a bit odd.

Guild Wars has free online, but World of Warcraft costs $15 a month. Guild Wars fans don't call Wolrd of Warcraft fans names for enjoying their game, but XBL Gold is seen as some kind of big scam when it's such a tiny fee that most people probably spend tripple on candy every month without noticing.

but when buying candy you actually get something in return, when paying for live you just get access to stuff that you already payed money for and should get for free. your comparison is false, this comparison explains the situation perfectly. its like toshiba forcing me to pay 5 bucks a month to use the internet. its a rip off, you dont want to accept that fact then dont, you think its not a rip off then ok, but it is, and dont go calling other people cry babies when they point a legitimate reason and actually have the balls to stick up to it

Yeah. It's like you go to the store, and you have to pay money to be allowed to then pay for candies. Why people try to justify this practice is beyond reason.

kain_kusanagi said:
PlaystaionGamer said:
Funny thread.
But online console gaming should be free. Your Price for online is included when you buy the disk. It's rediculous

World of Warcraft used to come in a box. So did Final Fantasy XI and Final Fantasy XIV will too. Why is it ok to charge for a high monthly premium for MMO's on PC, but it's an outrage to charge small fee for EVERYTHING on XBox Live?

It's not an outrage, you get what you pay for, right? However, I do think when your main competitor can bring their customers free online gameplay, even if it isn't as good as your own (which to be quite honest, that statement is very much up for debate) it makes you think a little. Basically, if Sony can do it, why not microsoft?  Obviously, they are a business, they are out to make money, blah blah blah, you catch my drift by now.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Areym said:
kain_kusanagi said:
PlaystaionGamer said:
Funny thread.
But online console gaming should be free. Your Price for online is included when you buy the disk. It's rediculous

World of Warcraft used to come in a box. So did Final Fantasy XI and Final Fantasy XIV will too. Why is it ok to charge for a high monthly premium for MMO's on PC, but it's an outrage to charge small fee for EVERYTHING on XBox Live?

It's not an outrage, you get what you pay for, right? However, I do think when your main competitor can bring their customers free online gameplay, even if it isn't as good as your own (which to be quite honest, that statement is very much up for debate) it makes you think a little. Basically, if Sony can do it, why not microsoft?  Obviously, they are a business, they are out to make money, blah blah blah, you catch my drift by now.

Sony is doing it, but can't continue to do it.  Did we forget that Sony is losing money like crazy while Microsoft is making money?

"Basically, if Sony can do it, why not Microsoft?"  Because Microsoft wants to make a profit and continue to be in business.  Sony does too, so we'll see a shift in the way Sony handles their console business very soon, and I've got a strong feeling it's going to be something similar to how Microsoft handles their console business.

There's a reason Sony is losing money, free online gaming, giving away free games, etc.  I'd like to see those of you who think Sony is doing well try to run their own business while losing hundreds of millions of dollars each quarter, and then tell me that they are the 'winning' business.

pokoko said:
MMOs and Xbox Live? That's a silly comparison.

My thoughts mirror this. Paying for a highly advanced MMO that gives you tons of content over time and has a rich community beyond anything XBOX Live has on its own. XBOX at best serves as an ISP on top of the ISP you already pay for your internet so you can get access to other services (like netflix) that you have to pay also. The comparison to me is flawed.

However, if people want to pay for whatever, sounds fine to me. Hell, I pay for xbox live, though I think when I finally retire my X360 I will close the door on that, I haven't used my xbox for much of anything for 2 years.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.