By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Paying for online gaming, THE OUTRAGE!

kain_kusanagi said:
Osc89 said:
Isn't the issue to do with how the PS3 does it all for free? It's like charging for Pepsi when you can get Coke on tap. It just seems a bit odd.

Guild Wars has free online, but World of Warcraft costs $15 a month. Guild Wars fans don't call Wolrd of Warcraft fans names for enjoying their game, but XBL Gold is seen as some kind of big scam when it's such a tiny fee that most people probably spend tripple on candy every month without noticing.

but when buying candy you actually get something in return, when paying for live you just get access to stuff that you already payed money for and should get for free. your comparison is false, this comparison explains the situation perfectly. its like toshiba forcing me to pay 5 bucks a month to use the internet. its a rip off, you dont want to accept that fact then dont, you think its not a rip off then ok, but it is, and dont go calling other people cry babies when they point a legitimate reason and actually have the balls to stick up to it

Around the Network

I'll be honest: As an Xbox 360 user who uses Xbox Live for nothing but online multiplayer, downloading demos, trailers and a few game add-ons, I fail to see what I'm paying for that PSN doesn't offer for free.

Yeah, well, MMOs actually have that thing called upkeep costs, and what makes the difference is that those MMOs generally have no other means besides the game's price to get money. And there's an excellent example of an online platform not needing monthly fees to be viable:

So there you go.

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
I'll be honest: As an Xbox 360 user who uses Xbox Live for nothing but online multiplayer, downloading demos, trailers and a few game add-ons, I fail to see what I'm paying for that PSN doesn't offer for free.

Exactly, and this gen everyone is going to see through marketing this gen that the PS4 offers just that including cross chat and other great features with a true tier service (which Gaikai will mostly be apart of). No one should have to pay for simple online gaming. There has to be another service.

kain_kusanagi said:
Somini said:
kain_kusanagi said:
Somini said:
So you're basically saying PC gamers suck it up and pay for online why don't console gamers do the same?

No. I'm saying paying for online isn't seen as evil if Blizzard does it, but for if MS does it people act like stealing money from orphans. I'm also asking if all online fees are fundimentaly wrong or just the ones fans don't have the cash for?

No service should be asking you money for allowing you to play online. The pay for online model has existed on PC only, before Microsoft came alnog with Xbox. A lot of people do pay to play online, but there are a lot more who don't like to pay. Console gamers are just trying to avoid this PC practice from becoming 'normal' on consoles.

Unless you're an employee at one of those companies, i don't understand why there are people who are trying to make this happen on consoles as well!

Hey. I personly would rther not pay anything to play games. I wish I could have the cake and eat it too. But I pay entry fees for games just like I do if I want to see a concert. I could listen to music on the radio for free, but if I want to see it live I accept that it will cost me. I'd love to play Halo 4 online for free, but I'm not going to deny myself fun for a measly 4 bucks a month. I spend more on soda ever month.

If you want to play Halo/Gears/Forza online and pay money for it, then you can do so. I will play Uncharted/GOW/LBP/Infamous/Resistance/Killzone online for free. Same with multiplats. You can pay for the same games like COD/BF/AC while I can play them online for free.

Around the Network

You can make a long list like that..

Why do people waste money on a Vita?
Why did so many people buy hats in Team Fortress 2?
Why do people waste money on buying games for consoles while they are so much better on PC?

The biggest problem is that people are happy and enjoy Xbox live and think it is worth it. And that is the biggest problem for mostly Sony fanboys. They don't want you are happy and enjoy Xbox live so they will almost make a thread every week about Xbox live and try to make the happy Xbox live Gold members like idiots.

Having the ability to play on a service that doesn't include those pitifull fanboys is worth the money :).

kain_kusanagi said:
Sal.Paradise said:

I'm pretty sure it's only hypocrisy if you actually find people who play subscription-based MMOs who then refuse to pay XBL fees on principle. I've never come across someone that fits those criteria, myself, so I'm wondering why you're having a rant at them.

And as a side note, you can effectively play Eve Online for free by using in-game resources to pay for the sub fee, it's quite clever.

I'm talking about a general hypocrisy not specifics. You don't have to play MMO's to make the same arguement as XBL Gold. It's nothing more than an entry fee. The only difference is MMO players pay tripple what XBL Gold costs for just one game.

BTW, I changed the thread title to try to keep everyone from focusing on the word hypocrisy. That's not really the point. The point is people should either complain about ALL paid online services or shut up.

You've only used MMOs as an example in the op of a subscription-based online service, so my point still stands.

You're looking at a strangely specific group of people that both play subscription-based MMOs  and then refuse to pay XBL fees on principle. I'm not sure why you'd call them out since they seem like such a tiny group of people, and I doubt you'd be able to pick out anyone here that falls into both categories without asking. So, the point of this thread is difficult to determine for me.

edit: if you want to make a point about ALL paid online services, make that clear in the op by actually mentioning some examples. But if you do, your point becomes a lot harder to argue, as there are fairly obvious reasons why one would not pay for XBL but would be ok for paying for PS+, for example. 

kain_kusanagi said:
Somini said:
kain_kusanagi said:
Somini said:
So you're basically saying PC gamers suck it up and pay for online why don't console gamers do the same?

No. I'm saying paying for online isn't seen as evil if Blizzard does it, but for if MS does it people act like stealing money from orphans. I'm also asking if all online fees are fundimentaly wrong or just the ones fans don't have the cash for?

No service should be asking you money for allowing you to play online. The pay for online model has existed on PC only, before Microsoft came alnog with Xbox. A lot of people do pay to play online, but there are a lot more who don't like to pay. Console gamers are just trying to avoid this PC practice from becoming 'normal' on consoles.

Unless you're an employee at one of those companies, i don't understand why there are people who are trying to make this happen on consoles as well!

Hey. I personly would rther not pay anything to play games. I wish I could have the cake and eat it too. But I pay entry fees for games just like I do if I want to see a concert. I could listen to music on the radio for free, but if I want to see it live I accept that it will cost me. I'd love to play Halo 4 online for free, but I'm not going to deny myself fun for a measly 4 bucks a month. I spend more on soda ever month.

I understand what you're saying. You wouldn't want to pay if Microsoft wasn't forcing you.

But do you understand that people have been gaming online for more than a decade without having to pay and having a lot of fun at the same time? Wii, WIi U, PSP, PS Vita, Game Cube, PS2, PS3 and the Dreamcast have all offered online gameplay without asking you for money, whatever that amount may be.

The ones 'complaining' about a fee for online are Nintendo and Sony fans. These guys have never paid for online, so you can't call them hypocrites for not approving the policy Microsoft and their fans have been embracing!

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

You and I are on the same boat riding towards PS4 next gen. At first I thought XBL was the best thing that happened to mankind because of how well it handled MP over previous gen. Then I got the PS3 and wondered what exactly have I been paying for. Its the same thing but free.

UltimateUnknown said:
kain_kusanagi said:
Somini said:
kain_kusanagi said:
Somini said:

If you want to play Halo/Gears/Forza online and pay money for it, then you can do so. I will play Uncharted/GOW/LBP/Infamous/Resistance/Killzone online for free. Same with multiplats. You can pay for the same games like COD/BF/AC while I can play them online for free.

Great. We agree to be happy that the other is enjoying what they want to enjoy.

There is one difference between us. I'll be playing all your examples because a tiny fee is not a wall too high for me to climb.