By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - A look back at the Gamecube: One of the most underrated consoles ever

I agree the Gamecube was the best.
It had the best 3D Mario. Sunshine was just great it also had the greatest game of all time which is Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door. It was also a high powered purple lunchbox that could play all these great games. What more could you ask for?

Around the Network

I missed this console during that generation,luckily I recently bought this lunchbox and building up my library.
So far paper mario is my favorite, im hoping I find a cheap copy of eternal darkness very soon!

It was a good console I will give it props.

Check out my Youtube channel : http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePSXcollector

I agree. Gamecube is one of my favorite consoles of all time. I liked much more than my PS2.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

Loved the gamecube! To date, I think I still own more gamecube games than for any other console (though my DS will probably change that soon). Two of my favorite games: Tales of Symphonia and Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, both come from the little box as well.

Hmm

Around the Network

I didn't like Super Mario Sunshine (a Mario game without desert, lava, snow, etc. stages is just wrong), I think that could've been a new IP with a different/new character it just kinda felt like Mario was pasted in sometimes.

The other thing I didn't like about the GameCube was the d-pad being tiny and the Z button being awkward to press. I prefer the SNES diamond button layout as well, though the GCN one wasn't bad per se.

Also I wasn't crazy about Mario Kart Double Dash. Good game, but not enough tracks.

It was a good console, but could've been better. I preferred the N64.

Also the system looked hands down the best in platinum silver, not sure why Nintendo didn't make that the primary color for marketing reasons. Purple was OK, but it should've been a secondary color. 

GameCube is my favourite console of all time, and i feel WiiU is our next GameCube (i mean that as a good thing). Im getting that same warm glow inside when i fire up the WiiU as i did during my GameCube days. Im excited by the potential WiiU has, especially when the top games start to arrive. I loved the original Wii, but its not in the same league as my GameCube and WiiU, those consoles are geared toward the Nintendo fan rather than a casual audience.
Wind Waker HD has made my year.

curl-6 said:

Gamecube was a disappointing console to me.
It wasn't bad, but it was below par with what I expected from Nintendo.

Metroid Prime, F Zero GX, and Resident Evil 4 were amazing, but Mario Sunshine, Starfox Adventures/Assault, and Zelda Wind Waker were serious letdowns.

The Wii was a return to form in my view.

I agree that the Gamecube felt more like Playstation junior than a real Nintendo console. For example, where each Nintendo console added something interesting to the interface (NES = D-pad, SNES = diamond face buttons & shoulder buttons, N64 = analog, Wii = motion controls, Wii U = touch screen) the Gamecube just had a really messed up PSX controller.

Resident Evil 4 was a good game for Gamecube, but it was much better when it was released on PS2 and Wii, especially the Wii version. It also sold significantly better on those consoles, which is exceedingly rare for a port.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

My favorite console ever.

Metroid:Prime is my favorite game ever.

A country mile.

Best Nintendo console after snes