By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - It's a mistake to think PS4/Next Xbox won't provide a generational leap in terms of graphics

BasilZero said:

Not talking about New Super Mario Bros U - that is a stale game D:

You haven't even played it though. 

Anywho, we should drop this.

Around the Network
KHlover said:
People said the same about the PS3/Xbox360. And the WiiU. Probably also about the Nextbox. This bickering doesn't deserve any attention.

This. Wii U owners have been defending their console over the last few months with, "it's only a 1st gen game", "it's just a port", "games not yet optimised", "it's low budget" etc. and now we are starting to hear some of the same comments from Sony quarters.

They were valid defences before, they still are now, and they will continue to be when we start seeing some Nextbox games.

Anyone 'attacking' a system power based on the first batch of games either hasn't been around very long or is participating in points scoring against the 'opposition'.

Killzone looks really nice and probably has the biggest scale of any game I've seen in this kind of setting but it's pretty much exactly what I expected and no more. The debate arises from the following: on one hand we have one group hyping these graphics as the second coming (they're not), another group attacking them for not being the second coming, and another group seeing and appreciating them for what they are, the start of a very nice bump for console owners.

HoloDust said:
Is there actually anyone who can claim this is not a leap?

Yoshinori Ono said this is real-time on PS4 - yes, it does look like it's rendered. But let's give a man the benefit of a doubt.

Exactly! On one side we have people worried it's CGI and on the other side we have people thinking "meh." That's a good indication that most of them just don't like the PS4 and are trying to hate on it.

wfz said:

The problem isn't the increase in graphics; the problem is the decreased return on investment into graphics.

The better things become, the less noticeable the changes are and general consumers will care less about these graphical increases.

While I think this is reserved for another topic, I do agree the average person might not notice a difference. With the right type of marketing though, I think people might find their current systems to be inadequate. Who knows?

That being said, I don't think developers should stop investing into graphics. It's still an untapped market where I imagine many smartphone gamers who have never even touched a PS3/360 game. There's still much to gain from here and people do love eye candy. Plus, graphics do truly enhance the gameplay, whether some people want to believe that or not.

TheKoreanGuy said:

I've seen people here and there proclaiming how they were disappointed in the demos they saw during the PS4 unveiling, mostly because the games didn't seem to provide any sort of generational leap over PS3/360. While I understand their concerns, it's too early to assume nothing will change as times goes by. The best and earliest examples are PS3/360 launch games. Compare them to games today and the difference is quite noticeable. A lot of the earlier games look like up-resed PS2/Xbox games. Even so, the PS4 demos we've seen look amazing, if you ask me, and it will only get better. We've been down this road before, but to put it simply, developers need more time to master the hardware.

There's also so much more that goes into graphics these days. Advanced physics and AI systems, texture resolution, post processing effects, dynamic lighting and shadows, particle effects, etc. It's really up to the developers now with how they choose to harness the potential of these machines. But I have full faith they will continue to provide new, breathtaking experiences in this next gen.

This comes to mind: http://i.imgur.com/ChsSwUE.png

Around the Network

Compare the first Pikmin 3 demo and X on Wii U. The difference in graphics is huge, X looks so much better. Now remember that games Sony showed are at the same stage now that Pikmin 3 was at the time of reveal - almost a year before the launch of the platform. In a year we're going to see a similar move forward as we saw on Wii U and that is still just going to be the start. Once devs get 3-4 games under their belt graphics are going to be breathtaking :) I just hope that the crisis ends soon, cause devs need more money to fund those awesome games.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

There is definitely an improvement in the graphics, not as substancial as the previous gens but still a leap. That being said, I think we are at point where the graphic whoring just needs to stop/slow down. The obsessions with pushing the most polys is actually hurting development where they spend less time on game mechanics and more time on making it all look pretty.

I went to a game dev siminar some years back where Ted Price and a few others spoke. An interesting topic came up. Ted spoke of games being more flash over substance, and that out obssesion with realistic wind physics and the like deter away from what the real focus should be....is it fun? If that NPC's hair looks too stiff, does that really effect how much you enjoy the game THAT much?

Of recent, I went to the big unveiling of Uncharted 3 in D.C. One of the Reps was going on and on about how they dedicated an entire team to making the water as life like and realistic as possible for the Ship Wreck scene. After playing the game I couldn't help but ponder how little all that time and effort truly had on the gameplay, and was actually more of a detriment. Just like the obssession with making shooters more "Realistic" actually makes them LESS fun to the consumer. We don't really want realistic, we want exciting. I love me some Uncharted but that is the wrong way to go.

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

HoloDust said:

Yoshinori Ono said this is real-time on PS4 - yes, it does look like it's rendered. But let's give a man the benefit of a doubt.

I'm calling BS on that one, but we'll see.

Trunkin said:
HoloDust said:

I'm calling BS on that one, but we'll see.

Well, there are some things that really look too good to be true there. I'm mostly impressed with animations and facial expressions, and how that light from the torch reacts with enviroment. On the other hand, I see lot of things that are more or less equal to UE4, and that was real-time. This just looks much more interesting and polished. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

im getting a headache..... >.>