By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Opinion: Did Sony show anything last night that Microsoft needs to worry about?

For anybody who wants a good laugh. its f***in weird.... lol
http://kotaku.com/5985999/last-nights-entire-ps4-event-in-three-and-a-half-very-funny-minutes

"We're in the business of making money" said by every company ever known

Around the Network
Nsanity said:
VGKing said:
Well the 8GB of GDDR5 RAM is a huge advantage of the PS4. I can't express how important this is.

The Gaikia technology is also very advanced and not something Microsoft can just copy overnight. The stuff Sony is doing like play while you are downloading and try any game in the store....that's revolutionary IMO.

Also if I heard correctly, PSN will now be "fastest gaming network" thanks to that Gaikia tech.

Doesnt Onlive already do that?

Can you prove that?

To be honest. Probably not.

Microsoft already has Skydrive as its cloud technology. And i'm sure the next box reveal would also show breath taking games also.

Sony revealed its console just like any other would. With games and new features.

Yay!!!

Hynad said:
J_Allard said:
No.

Power wise, as long as there isn't a huge difference, it won't be a big deal to anyone but the hardcore gamer.
Social features wise, MS is the software company of the two. I expect great things from MS.
The best game shown at the Sony event was a multiplatform game.
Streaming via Gaikai is cool but it will be cool for a small amount of people. It's not a system seller feature.

Price will be a huge factor. ALl indications are the Nextbox is weaker and thus cheaper. I expect MS to go all out with competitive pricing.

The best game is a multi-platform one? Destiny? Watch Dogs?

The judge's still out. But the consensus around the net right now is that Killzone Shadow Fall was the most awesome looking game of the bunch. But looks don't make a game, I'll give you that. 

In the end, to each their own. Until we see actual gameplay for Destiny, I can't say the game looks good or not. But its universe sure is interesting.

Watch Dog? It was a day one purchase for me the very moment they revealed it last year. =P

Watch Dogs was my game of the conference.  The interactivity of everything was just incredible.  The electric box, poles coming out of the ground, and train stopping just seemed like awesome mechanics to include.  Also hacking into everyone's info seems really spontaneous.  I'm just hoping the game is as open as it seems.  Killzone looked great and it'll most likely be the first KZ I pick up at launch (looking to get the collection now), but it was nothing we haven't seen before just prettier.  I do like that they discovered the whole color spectrum and had some more set piece actiony moments to liven up the shooting, but still seen it before.  That Capcom game had some promise as well.  If it were like Darksouls only with checkpoints I would be interested but also it could be like Dragon's Dogma which would also be cool.  Destiny was still mostly conceptual and Infamous was just a trailer so who knows about how they'll be to actually play but I trust those devs.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

A few things.

1. They wont have a headstart this time out. We know PS4 is out this Year.

2. The PS4 is built by developers, for developers. This added in with the amazing specs pretty much means the PS4 wont be getting poor, gimped ports... Something that held back the PS3 and gave the 360 a great advantage for 2 Years.

3. Sony will be launching with a network that is arguably equal to Microsofts, wheras last time PSN was in all fairness rubbish.

4. Sony are now friendly with Activision. Diablo 3 on PS3 and 360. Exclusive content for Bungie's new game, Destiny... Could Call of Duty be next? We know how much Microsoft have relied on the shooter market with the 360, Sony muscling in on that could cause problems.

5. No longer having the advantage of Kinect. Sure, Kinect is the bigger and more popular product... But now the competition has something comparable. The differences could be Sony using it with controllers (DS4, Move), and of course whatever Microsoft upgrade on Kinect.

On the other hand... There a bunch of stuff that Microsoft wont care about in the slightest.

Around the Network

MS has a lot to be worried about. Doesn't matter if they show it or not. PS4 stepped up their game big time and we don't know everything yet. Get ready, the rest of this year is going to be real interesting.

Microsoft's response from tweeted by Mike Ybarra>

Somini said:
psrock said:
I just hope MS reacts the same way their fans are

Major Nelson already did lol. They're not 'worried' alright!

stating the obvious is a worry? 90% of the reactions from reviewers said the exact same thing.  so would they be 'worried' as well?

Mmmfishtacos said:
MS has a lot to be worried about. Doesn't matter if they show it or not. PS4 stepped up their game big time and we don't know everything yet. Get ready, the rest of this year is going to be real interesting.

It will all come down to what Microsoft chooses to focus on. Depending on their showing, if they focus on the gaming aspects of their console as much as Sony did for the PS4, then it will be a really hard and close battle between Sony and MS. Just like it was this last gen.

But if Microsoft focuses too much on gimmicks, I think they will lose a lot of their crowd. They need to differentiate themselves from the other 2, while remaining focused primarily on the gaming aspects. Kinect 2.0 sure is an interesting tech. But if it doesn't do much more than what is already available, why would people bother? Motion gaming is for a certain crowd. That crowd isn't really concerned with tech advancements like better graphics, streamlined online features and the likes. They need to show something that really stands out compared to what they did with the 360, and they need to make sure they don't come-out with a "me-too" console.