By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Opinion: Did Sony show anything last night that Microsoft needs to worry about?

Hardware spec wise, i dont think microsoft have to worry much. But cloud gaming... Yes. Sony will start using Gaikai to stream games to different platform such as tablets, pc, vita, etc...something that may attract new console user or even help convert xbox and nintendo loyalist. I think this is one of the feature that most gamers will be interested to see evolve. This might even push Microsoft into buying Onlive as well or do some sort of partnership.

Another thing is the subscription fee which was not addressed during the meeting. They did mention most feature will require subscription fee but after that they did not elaborate on the details. If Sony does goes with what they currently doing now, allowing internet play without a subscription fee, then Microsoft may have to change their xbox live gold policy.

One thing that Microsoft probably have to worry about is that this entire current gen, most multiplatform games were developed on the xbox 360 and ported to the PS3. With Sony PS4 PC like archetecture, developers are already saying that the PS4 is the easier console to develope for. We have to wait and see if that is true. Until the next box is announce we all the comparison between the two consoles are just assumptions and speculations.

Around the Network

Well the 8GB of GDDR5 RAM is a huge advantage of the PS4. I can't express how important this is.

The Gaikia technology is also very advanced and not something Microsoft can just copy overnight. The stuff Sony is doing like play while you are downloading and try any game in the store....that's revolutionary IMO.

Also if I heard correctly, PSN will now be "fastest gaming network" thanks to that Gaikia tech.

I don't think they'd be worried about anything they saw.

I think this 8th gen will be more competitive for both companies as opposed to Sony clearly starting with a disadvantage with the PS3 (their fault).

Sony stepped up their game and seem more on track when it comes to social features (not the apps but the uploading, streaming, and watching/playing other friends games is very cool).

The Hardware is fairly powerful and apparently extremely easy to develop for, developers have been praising the thing nonstop.

Sony won't be launching an entire year after Microsoft this gen

There is still E3 left to surprise us with a new Uncharted, GT, or hopefully Last Guardian/Versus 13 (If Square was serious when they said "please be excited for E3".

Basically I think Microsoft can't capitalize on the Mistakes Sony made with the PS3, because Sony isn't making those mistakes anymore. I see this gen playing out much more evenly instead of Sony trying to play catch up with stuff. I think it will be a fun gen for both parties :D

The one thing I think there is cause to be concerned for is how much the PS4 will cost, that will play a very big factor.

I just hope MS reacts the same way their fans are

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Around the Network
psrock said:

Whatcha mean?

Flanneryaug said:
Cheebee said:
Flanneryaug said:
I think there is one thing they need to be worried about, their price point. The PS4 is clearly going to be expensive, and if Microsoft weakens their hardware a little bit to undercut them on the price($300/$350), Microsoft could get a huge advantage.

I don't think MS would need to weaken their hardware to undercut Sony's price. MS is in an infinitely better position to sell their hardware at a loss than Sony is.

They are, but why not make a profit on the hardware? Honestly if I was Microsoft right now I would weaken the 720 specs to slightly above Wii U levels, and sell it at $300 for a profit. Doing so would make all of the PS4's extra power worthless, and would help Microsoft get a huge lead on Sony due to the lower price point. I doubt they will though.

'Cos MS probably want to please the devs and hardcore as well. Both of those groups won't be even remotely satisfied with 'slightly above WiiU levels'. This way, they can go for power, get the big AAA games, AND undercut Sony price-wise.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

MS have nothing to worry about at all. PS4 is nothing new and just revolves around power.

UnitSmiley said:
psrock said:

Whatcha mean?

No worries

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
psrock said:
UnitSmiley said:
psrock said:

Whatcha mean?

No worries

Ah gotcha