By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Opinion: Did Sony show anything last night that Microsoft needs to worry about?

psrock said:
I just hope MS reacts the same way their fans are

Major Nelson already did lol. They're not 'worried' alright!

Around the Network

MS has everything to be worried about. All the advantages ( releasing first, pricing, Live, ) have been matched, a windows 8 machine with kinect is not the answer.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
UnitSmiley said:
psrock said:

Whatcha mean?

Overly confident is my guess...

Here is the reason I for one am confident Microsoft will throw everything but the kitchen sink at the Xbox, and Sony really can't beat them.

Xbox is the last consumer facing product that Microsoft has which is a commercial success(and skype but they bought that). Windows Phone is not successful, Windows 8 is still on the fence.

With previous Xbox consoles, Xbox was a side venture whose purpose was to mess with Sony and stop it from taking over the living room. Now its the key piece to their Microsoft ecosystem. They are integrating Xbox in to everything (Xbox music, Xbox gaming on phones, Windows 8) and are primarely fighting with Google and Apple for a relevant role in the next 10 years.

If Microsoft can't outmuscle Sony on the console side and Xbox brand gets tarnished, they may as well pack up everything else. There is no way they can take on Google and Apple if they can't compete with Sony.

So its either Xbox is awesome and Microsoft wins next gen or its game over for microsoft in the consumer space. 

psrock said:
MS has everything to be worried about. All the advantages ( releasing first, pricing, Live, ) have been matched, a windows 8 machine with kinect is not the answer.

Again, you asume that all this time that Sony spent catching up, Microsoft was just sitting there and drinking Pina Coladas. 

disolitude said:
UnitSmiley said:
psrock said:

Whatcha mean?

Here is the reason I for one am confident Microsoft will throw everything but the kitchen sink at the Xbox, and Sony really can't beat them.

Xbox is the last consumer facing product that Microsoft has which is a commercial success(and skype but they bought that). Windows Phone is not successful, Windows 8 is still on the fence.

With previous Xbox consoles, Xbox was a side venture whose purpose was to mess with Sony and stop it from taking over the living room. Now its the key piece to their Microsoft ecosystem. They are integrating Xbox in to everything (Xbox music, Xbox gaming on phones, Windows 8) and are primarely fighting with Google and Apple for a relevant role in the next 10 years.

If Microsoft can't outmuscle Sony on the console side and Xbox brand gets tarnished, they may as well pack up everything else. There is no way they can take on Google and Apple if they can't compete with Sony.

So its either Xbox is awesome and Microsoft wins next gen or its game over for microsoft in the consumer space. 

I see, and I think they will try their hardest to make the 720 a success for sure, but I think psrock meant microsoft fans :p

Around the Network

microsoft yes...Nintendo no...

disolitude said:
psrock said:
MS has everything to be er.

Again, you asume that all this time that Sony spent catching up, Microsoft was just sitting there and drinking Pina Coladas. 

No, I expect Kinect to be better, smart glass to be smarter, windows like integration. What marvels are you expecting besides  1hr of how amazing the new kinect is.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
disolitude said:

Interesting correlation there.

But if you are right then xbox is screwd.  360 matched PS3, but that was Sony at its worst.   

Plus id say its no easier to go up vs PS brand in gaming then it is to go up vs those two giants.  Far smaller war but no easier.  

VGKing said:
Well the 8GB of GDDR5 RAM is a huge advantage of the PS4. I can't express how important this is.

The Gaikia technology is also very advanced and not something Microsoft can just copy overnight. The stuff Sony is doing like play while you are downloading and try any game in the store....that's revolutionary IMO.

Also if I heard correctly, PSN will now be "fastest gaming network" thanks to that Gaikia tech.

Doesnt Onlive already do that?

J_Allard said:
No.

Power wise, as long as there isn't a huge difference, it won't be a big deal to anyone but the hardcore gamer.
Social features wise, MS is the software company of the two. I expect great things from MS.
The best game shown at the Sony event was a multiplatform game.
Streaming via Gaikai is cool but it will be cool for a small amount of people. It's not a system seller feature.

Price will be a huge factor. ALl indications are the Nextbox is weaker and thus cheaper. I expect MS to go all out with competitive pricing.

The best game is a multi-platform one? Destiny? Watch Dogs?

The judge's still out. But the consensus around the net right now is that Killzone Shadow Fall was the most awesome looking game of the bunch. But looks don't make a game, I'll give you that. 

In the end, to each their own. Until we see actual gameplay for Destiny, I can't say the game looks good or not. But its universe sure is interesting.

Watch Dog? It was a day one purchase for me the very moment they revealed it last year. =P