By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Opinion: Did Sony show anything last night that Microsoft needs to worry about?

yeah! that SquareEnix presentation was just something out of this world and unseen before. MS must have shit their granny panties, especially when that second dude came out and gave that announcement

Around the Network

I would say, a little, Sony seems to be throwing everything they can in the PS4, but so much of it seemed like they were playing catch up with the Xbox and Live. Adding facebook, better friends integration, using real names/pictures, chat, downloading when the console is off, integration with Phone and Tablets, etc. they presented them like they were new, even though Xbox has already had most of that stuff, for years in some cases.

Plus, they are clearly going after Kinect with their new PS4 Eye Camera, face recognition and the controller light/3D capture. I'm not sure how well that is going to work. It seemed much like a Xbox tribute.

The things they should watch:

8GB DDR5 memory - that seems like Sony's Ace.

The 'share' button - a little easier than what Microsoft already has in many games and through live. Easy and simple is good.

Instant on and suspend. While it does sound exactly what Microsoft is already doing with Windows 8. It could be a very nice feature - although seemed aimed at WiiU complaints.

The 'play while streaming' could be a nice thing.

Like the OP said 5-10% is hardly noticeable as a difference in console power.

And what they didn't talk about - 4K video playback? Display Port output?

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Somini said:
tres said:
Somini said:
tres said:
Somini said:
Nsanity said:
VGKing said:
Well the 8GB of GDDR5 RAM is a huge advantage of the PS4. I can't express how important this is.

The Gaikia technology is also very advanced and not something Microsoft can just copy overnight. The stuff Sony is doing like play while you are downloading and try any game in the store....that's revolutionary IMO.

Also if I heard correctly, PSN will now be "fastest gaming network" thanks to that Gaikia tech.

Doesnt Onlive already do that?

Can you prove that?

which part do u want him to "prove"?  a question mark means he's asking does it.  so it would be your obligation to bring facts to the table showing him no etc.....

That's where you're wrong. He made a claim. I'm asking, is it empty or can he back it up? He is suggesting that Onlive does the same thing. So back it up or sit down son.

so claims end in question mark these days?

theres a big different in 

Doesnt Onlive already do that?

and

Online already does that.

So we agree then? Onlive does not do the same as was shown yesterday. See bolded part.

smh fanboyism a terrible disease

disolitude said:

As the title says - discuss if Sony showed anything last night that may be concerning to Microsoft.

My personal opinion:

I think Microsoft doesn’t need to worry about anything Sony announced here.

Better hardware is the expected for both consoles. Which one has 5-10% extra power is not a game changer anyone will lose sleep over.

What else is new that Sony showed off here? Social features. I am pretty sure that MS is well aware of social features judging by Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8 abilities to integrate socially in to everything.

Some of the streaming stuff Sony showed off was pretty interesting, but Microsoft could easily one up them with their cloud infrastructure (see Azure being number one cloud service) and software experience they have. 

Bottom line is that I think Sony has an idea of what Microsoft is bringing and they realized it's better to announce the console early and get some public and developer attention instead of competing at E3 and ending up in Microsoft’s shadow. 

Honestly I don't think Microsoft needs to worry, I think it was just surprising that Sony went for a real powerful machine considering their financial situation.

In bold: Microsoft may have the tech, but that doesn't mean they thought to include it in the same way Sony did.  Sony clearly included streaming/prediction/play-while-you-download as a major feature from the start.  If MS hasn't I don't think they can go "oh shit" and wrangle it in with 9 months to go.

Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League

newwil7l said:
MS have nothing to worry about at all. PS4 is nothing new and just revolves around power.

LMFAO it is much much more than that. Did you even see the reveal?

Around the Network
bananaking21 said:
yeah! that SquareEnix presentation was just something out of this world and unseen before. MS must have shit their granny panties, especially when that second dude came out and gave that announcement

And I have a surprise for you: Since SE is multiplatform, the same guy will step out at the MS party. You better hope he has more to show than at this party...

drkohler said:
bananaking21 said:

And I have a surprise for you: Since SE is multiplatform, the same guy will step out at the MS party. You better hope he has more to show than at this party...

you're absolutely right, i just hope that they dont say they will be making a final fantasy game for MS and will show it at E3, i mean that would make sony lose the generation right from the start

VGKing said:
newwil7l said:
MS have nothing to worry about at all. PS4 is nothing new and just revolves around power.

Fine, it revolves around power, and socializing

I have no idea what MS will do next gen. Sony has really put some pressure on MS with the PS4 announcement and everything that it can do. Amazing features and they seem to have gotten a lot of respect from developers which is good. They need something new to fight back. They may already have it but we'll just have to wait and see.

newwil7l said:
VGKing said:
newwil7l said:

Fine, it revolves around power, and socializing

what did the 360 revolve around then?