By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Opinion: Did Sony show anything last night that Microsoft needs to worry about?

There are still way too many variables.

We don't know what MS will show in terms of tech or features or games (no COD or BF at the Sony conference...)

We don't know the price of either console

We don't know release dates

We don't know if Gaikai will even make a difference or if MS has something similar to unveil. Gaikai could be too laggy for most people. In addition, even the most successful peripherals only have a relatively small uptake so the number of people with a Vita and a PS4 would be tiny under the best of circumstances.

We don't know how big of a difference Sony wiping the slate clean with PSN and PS3 disc games will have.

We don't know how much Sony will charge for Gaikai/online play, etc.

Around the Network
psrock said:
disolitude said:
psrock said:
MS has everything to be er.

Again, you asume that all this time that Sony spent catching up, Microsoft was just sitting there and drinking Pina Coladas. 

No, I expect Kinect to be better, smart glass to be smarter, windows like integration. What marvels are you expecting besides  1hr of how amazing the new kinect is.

I have no idea what they will focus on... But I have an idea what their mission statement is with this console.

1. Make shitload of money!

2. Prevent Apple and Google penetration in the living room with android/smart TVs and Apple TV/airplay/iPads

3. Continue the penetration of the Xbox brand worldwide as a gaming powerhouse

Matching Sony with similarly powerful x86 hardware thats easy to develop for, 3rd party games support, few exclusives and online/social features is the easy part.  Microsoft has been doing this for a decade now. But this alone will not accomplish their mission statement.

My first impulse would be to say absolutely not. Most of what Sony showed is already standard as far as Microsoft's own platform is concerned, and nothing shown was what could be termed as being revolutionary, radically different, or altogether unexpected. Sony basically did what Microsoft ought to have expected them to do. After all most of us on these forums had them pegged well before the unveil. Even without the benefit of rumors. Sony is painfully predictable, and that should be worrying for the brands fans.

Sony basically repeated itself as per the usual. The offered up a over engineered product. No surprise there they weren't going to angle for cheap tech. They copied Microsoft's social, and media features. They have been doing that for years now. They also offered up a watered down copy of the Nintendo controller. Once again this is not unexpected.

Microsoft had to be prepared for all of this well in advance. The real question is what did Microsoft do with all of that free time on their hands. I can guarantee you that they didn't sit on them. You wouldn't know it from all of the talk on these forums, but Microsoft actually has twenty content studios for their console as of today. Many of those utilizing multiple teams. That is a lot of manpower not accounted for in all the estimations that are tossed around in these forums.

Microsoft is lulling some of you into a unwarranted sense of complacency. Microsoft isn't a company with just a handful of studios anymore. That can only churn out a game every other year. They are in a position now to not only match Sony studio for studio, but to actually out produce them. Microsoft has also acquired more gaming related technologies during the last generation then Sony. Not to mention they haven't been the least bit hesitant to showcase the future of those technologies.

The difference between Microsoft and Sony is that Microsoft has much more in the tank, and that is perhaps that is really the most important reason as to why Microsoft doesn't have to worry. They have the edge in most every area, and they can win on that alone.

bananaking21 said:
newwil7l said:
bananaking21 said:
newwil7l said:
bananaking21 said:
newwil7l said:
VGKing said:
newwil7l said:
MS have nothing to worry about at all. PS4 is nothing new and just revolves around power.

LMFAO it is much much more than that. Did you even see the reveal?

Fine, it revolves around power, and socializing

what did the 360 revolve around then? 

Halo! I'm surprises you didn't know that

so a console is revolved around one game? cool.... now even a console revolved only around power sounds so much better

Well who needs power, more games, or features when you have a huge game. Ask Nintendo who also agrees

yeah those WiiU sales are just proving that point. 

They sure are. Those sales are just excellent.

Hynad said:
J_Allard said:
No.

Power wise, as long as there isn't a huge difference, it won't be a big deal to anyone but the hardcore gamer.
Social features wise, MS is the software company of the two. I expect great things from MS.
The best game shown at the Sony event was a multiplatform game.
Streaming via Gaikai is cool but it will be cool for a small amount of people. It's not a system seller feature.

Price will be a huge factor. ALl indications are the Nextbox is weaker and thus cheaper. I expect MS to go all out with competitive pricing.

The best game is a multi-platform one? Destiny? Watch Dogs?

The judge's still out. But the consensus around the net right now is that Killzone Shadow Fall was the most awesome looking game of the bunch. But looks don't make a game, I'll give you that. 

In the end, to each their own. Until we see actual gameplay for Destiny, I can't say the game looks good or not. But its universe sure is interesting.

Watch Dog? It was a day one purchase for me the very moment they revealed it last year. =P

Watch Dogs. I don't care much for Bungie. And I doubt MS is really worried about a new Killzone at all.

Around the Network

Nope.

I think Sony adding an advanced version of party chat could be a big problem. It sounds strange but I believe that party chat was the 360's biggest exclusive. When I had a 360 for a couple of years it was basically my sole reason for justifying paying for online play.

Somini said:

It takes one to know one!

you told me lol... a "fanboy" that owns both system how rich..

your panties got in a ruffle behind a question that you'd like to call a statement.  you angrily replied to a ?  all i said to you was he asked a ?  in whhich you could have given a simple no onlive dont do what gaikai does.  case closed.  instead steam came out of your ears.  so yes you sir are a fanboy.

read my post...  ive owned pretty much every system including pong.  you on the other hand heart sony and  your act like your life depends on it.

-this user was warned for this post by amp316

tres said:
Somini said:

It takes one to know one!

you told me lol... a "fanboy" that owns both system how rich..

your panties got in a ruffle behind a question that you'd like to call a statement.  you angrily replied to a ?  all i said to you was he asked a ?  in whhich you could have given a simple no onlive dont do what gaikai does.  case closed.  instead steam came out of your ears.  so yes you sir are a fanboy.

read my post...  ive owned pretty much every system including pong.  you on the other hand heart sony and  your act like your life depends on it.

Damn this tablet is acting weird!

Anyways how do you know which system i own and don't!? It's pathetic you need to resort to namecalling to make a point. Which makes a discussion with you pretty pointless. Besides, i wonder if you're an alt account!

I think they should possibly worry about differentiating themselves more from the PS4, by the rumours the two consoles are going to be very similar again this new generation except that they are likely to launch at the same time... price may be the only thing either console will have to worry about in my eyes, assuming they are similar and Microsoft doesn't surprise us